Coloradoan's Tornados, etc. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Donna, I just thought it was fun to come across a model/brand name I hadn't seen before.

P.S Thanks for checking in on us Coloradoan's, Donna. We are ok, for now. I don't think were out of the woods just yet. It's been crazy here today. Basically 8 tornadoes within 15 miles or so around us. In the one where a man was killed is only about 4 miles from us, then Windsor where there is horrible damage is only about 10 miles. Been scary here, and haven't had power most of the day.............. There has been horrible hail as well, not at my house but again all around us. Up to baseball size hail. A lot of damage and people hurt due to the hail as well. Thank goodness there haven't been more people hurt. It's just been crazy. Thanks again for checking up on us. Robin

P.S.S if any of you are coming to Colorado for the holiday weekend............. ummmmmm, Id think twice! Strong winds, big and I mean BIG hail, and a few tornadoes............ Visit us at a later date, you will enjoy your visit more.

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I split this from the Referrals, hence the first line in Robin's posting. I thought it would get more views here in General Chat and I'm sure people would be interested in knowing Robin and family are fine and a bit of a weather update.

And thanks for checking in Robin!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
We came through that area a week ago, returning from visiting our daughter/son-in-law/grandson in Pleasant Hill, MO (near Kansas City). The week before we were greeted by tornadoes in and around Kansas City, and as we left more were on their way.

Southern Colorado was beautiful, as it usually is this time of year.

Except for the head winds, had a nice trip. Kept to the back roads as much as practical and speed down to around 55. Saw a lot of beautiful country we have missed previously taking the interstate, usually I-84.

Gas prices ranged between $3.39 to $3.99, mostly around $3.69. Since diesel was so much more, we took our old farm pickup, a 78 Chev 1/2 ton 4 x 4. Gas consumption was a bit over 15, but went through more than a case of oil. It wasn't burning it, it was leaking it!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Good thought Donna, I am sure their are others here in the area. I know there are seveal Casita owners up in the area where the Tornado hit. Hope their all ok. It skirted us so very little damage in my neighborhood. But tonight we decided to take a drive out towards Windsor ( the hardest hit area). Knowing we wouldn't get close, but about 4 miles west of us, it had turned and started north and did a lot of Damage to the State Farm regional offiices, just north of there it hit a Dairy wipeing out the poor cow's, barns, out buildings. But the weirdest thing was the trees that surround the Dairy. All of them were sheared off about 5 or 6 feet from the ground. Like someone took a chain saw and made the tree's all the same height. Just beyond that is where a man was killed in a campground. I didn't know there was a campground there, but I guess there is/was. it pretty much wiped it out. Toppled an rv and the man inside was killed. Then it kept going north towards the town of Windsor. As I said I couldn't get close to town but from pic's on Tv tonight (knowing landmarks in town) I can tell you, the damage is going to be really bad! I am amazed that more people weren't killed. I can't imagine how they got out of the way. It was so big and they are saying it was a mile wide. They are speculateing that it was a EF3 with up to 165 MPH winds. But on the late night new's they said, it actually could go to an EF4 which would set a record in the United States. I guess cause it was sooooo big, people could see it coming. I will try and update as more news comes out in the morning. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Thanks Robin. Those of us that have been members of this forum for a while have developed some close on-line friendships. Certainly not the types of friendships found in one-on-one and face-to-face, but more than enough that we are concerned about how disasters effect fellow members. We seem to be under deluge from Mother Nature this past several years, all over the U.S. and since this forum has the majority of its members from within the U.S., we know members are struggling with fires, hurricanes, tornadoes and floods in their home areas.

Everyone be safe.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote