Come on... you KNOW you want a Scamp... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Come on... you KNOW you want a Scamp...

We had a delightful weekend up at a friend's cabin 80 miles north of the Twin Cities. Beautiful cross-country skiing, slow-cooked pork eaten while a fire roared in the wood stove... and I think we're turning them to the Egg Side.

We showed them a bunch of pictures of our 16' Scamp, talked about the friends we've met, and then said "You know... we'd love to loan you the Scamp and the Rav for a long weekend..." They're our age (60-ish) and like us, did the camp-on-the-ground-oh-crap-it's-raining thing. They love camping...hate the gunk.

One trip. That's all it'll take... ONE TRIP.

Bwahahahahahah!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
What if they damage the trailer? Will it harm the friendship?

I don't loan out big stuff, but YMMV.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I think it's wonderful that you are shareing your love for glass with people you think might enjoy it just as much as you.

Mike I remember years ago this same discussion, personally I believe if something were to happen. It's either fixable or I get to search for another perfect trailer . That being said, some people will never get an offer from me to share...... But people I know who will respect my property and honor that I would share the experience will be offered to experience the Casita......

I lent it out last summer, for a 74 year old women to be able to camp with her family. She had a wonderful time and felt like it was her own lil space and felt like a princess living large! I am glad I was able to do it for her.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
No better way to give them the moulded fiberglass bug, Gary.

I have loaned my trailer out too a few times. No worries at all, if they broke anything, I know they would set it right, no matter the cost. Not that I would just lend it out to anyone though, but life is too short to stress over something happening to a material good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
This very subject came up at work.

Since there is no mandatory trailer insurance in Alberta, the trailer is covered by my house insurance when it is parked at my house, and by my car insurance when we are towing it. If the person I loan it to doesn’t have theft or collision on his car, can I get those separately, in Alberta, for the trailer so I can loan it?

Guess I should ask my insurance company.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey, whatever works for you! It's your friendship, your trailer. Why should I tell you what to do...

However... I wouldn't rent/loan my rig to family/friends. BUT, I wouldn't make a good landlady either...

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #7

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I had a niece of a friend of mine ask me a few days after I bought my Parkliner if it would sleep 4 and could they rent it to drive cross country in it...I just laughed at her and walked away.

I also got asked if a friend of mines out of state "mistress" could stay in it when she came up for a "visit"...I just laughed and said not a chance.

people are dareing... but I have no problem saying NO! lol

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
This very subject came up at work.

Since there is no mandatory trailer insurance in Alberta, the trailer is covered by my house insurance when it is parked at my house, and by my car insurance when we are towing it. If the person I loan it to doesn’t have theft or collision on his car, can I get those separately, in Alberta, for the trailer so I can loan it?

Guess I should ask my insurance company.
I don't know about Canadian insurance, but at least here (and in my case), liability insurance follows the driver/insured vehicle and covers whatever foolishness he/she gets into when using the vehicle.

And that includes damages to other folks' property such as a borrowed trailer!

Don't ask me how I came to find this out...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #9

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
And that includes damages to other folks' property such as a borrowed trailer!

Don't ask me how I came to find this out...<_<

Francesca
I like how you think! He gets collision for free, because he doesn't own it.

I appreciate deryk's perspective, he paid a bit more for his trailer, but for the minimal risk, accompanied by the collision insurance by default, I am considering much more seriously the idea of renting out the fleet. I am sure that I can find a new trailer for a reasonable price. I might even enjoy the experience, ohh... a parts trailer!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #10

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
In the US, depending on the insurance company, you can get collision and comprehensive on the trailer.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This is a whole 'nother issue if you are renting out your trailer.
The cost of insurance rises substantially, to the point that it will cost you in the end.
You can loan your trailer to a friend, but if your insurance company suspects any money changed hands, you can say goodbye to your coverage, including the liability.
Can you mortgage your house to cover a $2 million lawsuit?

baglo
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #12

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Let's put it this way... the guy that I'm going to loan the trailer to is one of those folks that if he said "Quick! Jump off the cliff!" you'd do it 'cause he would be absolutely right in telling you to do it. I'd trust him and his wife with pretty much anything I own. He used to be the chief locksmith of <insert name of a BIG company here> and can pretty much build and maintain anything from a tin can up to a nuclear missile. Yes, he's that good.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Loan it to a friend yes, loan it to family, h*ll no, you get to pick friends, family your stuck with and when trouble comes to you your just a door mat. A true friend will help you through issues they cause, family will dump a pile on your lawn and say "Oh well, Bummer man". I suspect its better to loan the Tow and the trailer so liability issues are well laid out. Just loaning out the trailer could open up an uncertain can of worms. Check with your agent and be certain. Converse through E-Mail so you have something in writing.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #14

Registry
I guess everyone's situation is different. I was raised to trust people, especially family.

"Stuck" with family? Wow.... I am forever grateful to have the wonderful family around me that I do. We do business ventures together with no issue (and in many cases no agreements other than our word), I do reno work for them with no questions asked about the bill, and I know if there was anything within their power I desperately needed, they would be there in a heartbeat. In fact, a bone marrow donation by one brother allows that I am here to post this response.

I also have a good close group of friends that I trust without question. I have no doubt of their level of honour.

With these people, I would have absolutely no issue of them using my trailer if they could make good use of it, and I did not need it. As mentioned above, I know they would be good for anything that went wrong, and regardless, the materialistic value of my trailer pales against the true lasting value of family and friends.

This world could use a much needed dose of trust, it would seem to me.

Sorry for this wee rant, it was not meant to go against anyone at all, just to express a view I feel strongly about. I fully support the OP in his decision, and my hat is off to him for the offer to use his trailer to people he trusts.

*puts moderator hat back on, and steps quietly away*
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
You are truly blessed to have a great family and even better parents that made it so. Some of us are not so blessed.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #16

Alberta
Registry
Thank you Jim! I agree on all points.
I have just worked out a deal with my nephew. He just purchased an Intrepid, his first car. It has a trailer hitch, and according to something I read from Can-Am, an Intrepid is a very good tow vehicle.
We are all going out to a family reunion at my dad's cottage on Manitoulin island, where my second Trillium 4500 is stored.
My nephew is taking my brother and my mom. He has agreed to tow back my second trailer if I install a brake controller and pay the difference in gas between going out with no trailer, and coming back with a trailer. This way, I can bring the 4500 that I use, out to Ontario. There will be a lot of us there, and extra beds will come in handy.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My thinking wasn't so much from the strictly monetary angle as from the thought that if something happened and the borrower had a different idea of what his responsibilities were than the owner's idea, it could cause a disagreement that could wreck a relationship. It has happened.

Monetarily, many people started talking about insurance. But plenty can happen to a trailer that insurance won't cover. Interior damage caused by misuse, for example. And how about stuff inside the trailer that can no longer be found when the trailer is returned? Sort of like loaning out a tool that never gets returned, and resentment can build up.

I've had good experiences as well as bad ones when it comes to trusting people. We gave a lady at our church several thousand dollars so she could put a down payment on a house; it was a big risk for us, but we saw it as a way to help a person of little means begin to put some equity into her life. That woman paid back every penny over several years. On the other hand, I helped a fellow usher, similarly in need of a financial break, with $2000 to buy some business inventory that he would sell and replenish and continue (we would share the profits as partners); he betrayed the trust by converting the money to his own use and buying himself something he wanted. I guess it all comes down to knowing what the person is really like.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
In BC the trailer is just like a car and it needs its own plates and insurance - including liability insurance. My home insurance does not cover it when its parked in my garage.

Would I lend my trailer out - yes but it would have to be to someone I trust and I would trust the majority of members of my family with it. I have offered up my trailer to family members and they know all they have to do is ask if they want it. They have let me use trucks, cars, campers, trailers, boats over the years worth far more than my little trailer and they have never hesitated in handing over keys. So I have no problems trusting them to take care of what I lend them. If something was to happen whether their fault or not, that's what insurance is for ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
You are truly blessed to have a great family and even better parents that made it so.
You are most certainly on the mark there, Steve. I am proud of the values my parents instilled in us, as we endeavour to pass on to my children and grandchildren.

Tags
scamp