Comfy spot up hier in NH - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2020, 07:37 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 21
Free State of New Hampshire
Comfy spot up hier in NH

Comfy spot wayaway from COVID. love winter camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Bigfoot comfy.jpg  
Governor Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:50 PM   #2

Name: Lauren
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
Colorado
Bigfoots always look perfectly at home with snow around them. :-)
Lauren in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #3

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 21
Free State of New Hampshire
Bigfoots in Winter

We had a 17 when we lived in California and BC. Many winter trips. No winter issues. So well insulated. and with oil filled heaters...plenty cozy.
Governor Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Reminds me of the four years I lived in a 24’ Holiday Rambler after moving to the other White Mountains (in AZ). It was also right at home with snow on the ground. Enjoy!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:13 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Jeff, having lived in NH for half of my life, I would not describe it as “Free.” Beautifully varied, maybe, but free it’s not. The property tax rate is confiscatory and every time I hear from my friends and relatives still living there the State has instituted a new “fee” for something or has instituted a requirement that a paid permit must be obtained for something ridiculous. I wouldn’t surprise me if they come up with a “portage fee” so that they can collect money if you want to carry your canoe from one lake to another. All this is done so that the State can brag that it is the only State with no income OR sales tax. But you pay dearly in other ways. As far as “personal” freedoms, NH has just as many laws and regulations as many other States in the Union. Don’t get me wrong; I have fond memories of NH. But I left in 1985 so that I could “free” myself from having to remove copious amounts of snow from November through March every year.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Your photo makes me long for New Hampshire . I don’t care about taxes what I care about is SNOW . I spent the last two weeks hunting in our woods where everything is a depressing , ugly brown . It’s hard to get in the Christmas spirit without snow and with covid running rampant .
We haven’t had one morning below zero yet this Fall , DAMM climate change !!
I wish we could return to the Winters of my youth
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
comfy spot up hier in NH

Steve, even without snow, you have a wonderful state. I enjoyed my trip up your way in October when I picked up my Scamp. I do remember winters in Michigan in the 40’s with snow up over my grandparent’s front door. To get to my aunt’s house next door, we had a tunnel !!! And the tobogganing !!!
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #8

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
Steve, even without snow, you have a wonderful state. I enjoyed my trip up your way in October when I picked up my Scamp. I do remember winters in Michigan in the 40’s with snow up over my grandparent’s front door. To get to my aunt’s house next door, we had a tunnel !!! And the tobogganing !!!
Our Winters in Northern Wisconsin have got so wimpy that calling them Winter is on the verge of lying. Many of my neighbors are now making excursions to the UP of Michigan in hopes of finding REAL WINTER again

My grandchildren have never experienced a real cold spell or a genuine blizzard ,which for me is very sad . A childhood lost !

I remember when my Aunt Caroline moved to Southern California in the 60’s for the climate
A year later she moved back to Minnesota , she couldn’t take the monotonous weather ( Reminds me of a Bill Murray movie)

We still have 3 or 4 sleds , a toboggan and a snow mobile , hoping for the return of Winter , maybe just wishful thinking .
Old 12-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
comfy spot

I believe it’s a cycle, the winters will be back, we may not live to see it. It’s a little grandiose to think that the actions of us mini-mites on earth can change it. Eons of a continuous cycle. Our descendants, if we don’t blow ourselves up, will enjoy, just put your sleds and toboggan in a safe place.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #10

Name: Don
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
MJo: Well-said.
kolocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #11

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Your photo makes me long for New Hampshire . I don’t care about taxes what I care about is SNOW . I spent the last two weeks hunting in our woods where everything is a depressing , ugly brown . It’s hard to get in the Christmas spirit without snow and with covid running rampant .
We haven’t had one morning below zero yet this Fall , DAMM climate change !!
I wish we could return to the Winters of my youth
Steve, if you long for NH, perhaps you should move there. But you will find the winter climate is more mild than Northern Wisconsin. Snow before Thanksgiving is rare and half the time Christmas can be brown, not white. And in the 35 years I lived there, I do not remember the temperatures dipping below zero until after Christmas, and usually not until late January or early February, and then not for long. Most of the time daytime winter temperatures are in the high teens/low twenties, with nighttime temperatures in the low teens or high single digits. This is a case of the grass is always greener.......no, wait, the air is always colder on the other side of some border. If it’s cold you want, try Verkhoyansk, in Siberia. As I write this, it is -42° there, and that is warm for this time of year. The minus 50s and minus 60s are more typical there.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:42 PM   #12

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Steve, if you long for NH, perhaps you should move there. But you will find the winter climate is more mild than Northern Wisconsin. Snow before Thanksgiving is rare and half the time Christmas can be brown, not white. And in the 35 years I lived there, I do not remember the temperatures dipping below zero until after Christmas, and usually not until late January or early February, and then not for long. Most of the time daytime winter temperatures are in the high teens/low twenties, with nighttime temperatures in the low teens or high single digits. This is a case of the grass is always greener.......no, wait, the air is always colder on the other side of some border. If it’s cold you want, try Verkhoyansk, in Siberia. As I write this, it is -42° there, and that is warm for this time of year. The minus 50s and minus 60s are more typical there.
Thanks Carl and in case I forget MERRY CHRISTMAS
Things have improved here , there is a little snow on the ground , temps are going down into the single digits , our lake is about 90% iced over and our outside refrigerator is slowly being filled with soup , sausage , homemade sauerkraut and Christmas treats
I love winter but in the back of my mind I know Summer will all too soon return.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:19 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Years ago a friends of ours and us use to go, once a week, 52 weeks a year, for an overnighter on the Kanc. in my 79 boler
We now have a Casita and the campgrounds on the east end of the Kanc. are closed in the winter so we put it up.
Looking forward to the 2021 Spring Fling in New England Rally next May at Chocorua Camping Village in Chocorua NY.
Gerry & Barb
host : Spring Fling
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #14

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Years ago a friends of ours and us use to go, once a week, 52 weeks a year, for an overnighter on the Kanc. in my 79 boler
We now have a Casita and the campgrounds on the east end of the Kanc. are closed in the winter so we put it up.
Looking forward to the 2021 Spring Fling in New England Rally next May at Chocorua Camping Village in Chocorua NY.
Gerry & Barb
host : Spring Fling
When I was a child camping with my parents, in the days before the Kanc was “discovered,” I remember spending a two nights in a pull off along side of a stream, pulling in late Friday. The next day only three cars passed by, going in either direction. That was in the late 1950s. Last time I drove it traffic was almost bumper-to-bumper. How times change.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:47 AM   #15

yea now I am sure a ranger or a state officer would run you out of there for sure. I think the last time I tried it in the late 60's we got run out about 5 in the morning by the local police from Albany!
It's all good though I still know of several places a bit further north were fishing is good and camping is free.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
For those that might be interested, Hancock campground on the western end of the Kanc is open year round. There is a host living there. We had a nice visit last year. He has a Kubota tractor to plow the road and campsites and sells fire wood. I'm not sure where he gets his water from. Most of the folks are there to ski or snow shoe.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #17

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
Gov Bud you still camping in NH?
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
For those that might be interested, Hancock campground on the western end of the Kanc is open year round. There is a host living there. We had a nice visit last year. He has a Kubota tractor to plow the road and campsites and sells fire wood. I'm not sure where he gets his water from. Most of the folks are there to ski or snow shoe.
yea they stay open year round but I live on the east end and the trip over the pass could be trouble. I worked one winter in Lincoln putting the water works (plumbing) in the new high school and traveling the 32 miles over that road is no pik-nik.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Winter photo

Just so you aren't the only one with a snowy photo......
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20201218_09_28_01_Rich.jpg  
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #20

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Just so you aren't the only one with a snowy photo......
Awww, that's just a dusting! Nice trailer though.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote