Compact/Compact Jr./Hunter, etc. owners POLL - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Who are you? Who, who? Who, who....
Hookups 5 10.20%
Flush toilets 6 12.24%
Pit toilets 5 10.20%
Hot showers 8 16.33%
Any showers 3 6.12%
Don't care about showers 4 8.16%
Near shopping 1 2.04%
In the boonies 3 6.12%
Desert 2 4.08%
Mountains 8 16.33%
Coast 4 8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Thumbs up

Some of us have been talking about a potential rally focused on fiberglass trailers that share the central pop-up. (We talked about it here, too.) It sounds like those who have taken part in the discussion tend toward California, but I wonder if there are more of us out there?

Who's interested?

Where are you?

Where would you LIKE this rally to be?

What would you like it to include?

Do you have kids? How about those of the furry persuasion?

And what time of year is best for you to travel to something like this?

So, here's a little poll for us.

Joe put together a list of the trailer types we're focused on, but this would, of course, be an all-comers rally!

1. Compact Jr
2. Compact II
3. TrailsWest Campster
4. Havasu
5. Family Wagon
6. Peer Mini
7. Hunter I
8. Cadets
9. Eriba Pucks
10. Basically anything that has that obvious resemblance in shape to any of those, with a pop-top.

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Where are you?

Summer- Washington State
the rest of the time: California

Summer- Washington State
the rest of the time: California (central California coast)

yes to furry kids. I would not go to a rally that didn't allow at least two of them (preferably no limit) to come

Not when it is hot. I have no AC and don't do heat so that's a deal-breaker for me.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
My wife and I are interested -- it all depends on the calendar and location.

We're in the Santa Barbara area.

We look forward to finally meeting face-to-face some of the people who have been so incredibly helpful.

Due to the work schedule, we'd like to meet somewhere within a 2-3 hour drive, so we have time to get there after work on Friday and still have some light to set up camp.

We don't have any kids or pets, but are not averse to either.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Who's interested?.................. Cory plus dog Joey (also plus or minus boyfriend, brother, and/or camping buddy that has a Burro)

Where are you?....................... Olympia, Washington State, somewhat north of the halfway point between Seattle WA and Portland OR

Where would you LIKE this rally to be?......................... Washington!! or alternatively, British Columbia, Oregon, Idaho or Montana (particularly Vancouver Island, BC), especially if I only get a week or less off, which is most likely
Northern California if I could get 8 days off
Somewhere within driving distance of L.A. if my boyfriend and I are still dating by then (his family lives there) and I get a ton of time off. Sort of unlikely I could afford to travel that far, however.

What would you like it to include?.................... A talk on the history of our campers. Maybe slide shows on how people have revamped their campers.

Do you have kids?............ No
How about those of the furry persuasion?....................... Yes, a dog Joey

And what time of year is best for you to travel to something like this?................. Early fall or late summer, particularly Labor Day weekend & surrounds

(Photo on the Olympic Peninsula, Hood Canal side (east side) of mountains, Washington State)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cory__Joey___Trailer__less_pixels__at_Falls_View__photo_002.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	20591
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #5

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
Interested; YES!!! Count Linda and Peanut in

We are in San Diego, but could travel California, or even some Az

Anytime, I just need time to plan to be off work. I am taking my daughter back to college in Monterey in August, I could go anywhere from there.

A talk on the history of our campers. Maybe slide shows on how people have revamped their campers. (I like these ideas).

Daughter may come, Peanut the dog and I will be there.

Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Thanks Jen and Joe for organizing this group.

Where are you? Bellingham, WA. up near the Canadian border

Where would you LIKE this rally to be? WA, OR, NorCal

What would you like it to include? Any fiberglass RV, fun, beautiful scenery, quiet, lake

Do you have kids? How about those of the furry persuasion? Kids won't be coming; Our two Doxies will, Scooby and Casey

And what time of year is best for you to travel to something like this? May- September

Fran and Lee
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Trails West Campster
Send a message via Yahoo to Katie Byrnes
Who's interested? That would be me - Katie

Where are you? San Diego as well. I live in the O.B. area. What area are you in Linda?

Where would you LIKE this rally to be? CA, AZ or UT? Possibly CO and OR. I have family in all these states (and beyond) so I can combine a rally with a visit with relatives.

What would you like it to include? Definitely a show and tell! How about a potluck one evening - with a combined slide show? I would be happy to put together a slideshow of everyone's photos. I can get my hands on a slide projector and I have a small screen. Just connect my laptop with the slideshow to the projector, and off we go. (Provided I have electricity for the projector) Individual owners will walk people through their own slides. Okay. I may be ahead of myself here.
Do you have kids? How about those of the furry persuasion? No kids or pets, but enjoy both. May have a friend or family member join me.

And what time of year is best for you to travel to something like this? Late Spring, early/late Summer or early Fall.

Dana T - I see you are in the Santa Barbara area. Are you going to the Lake Casitas rally at the end of October? It will be my 1st rally, and I have a niece attending UCSB I will also be visiting.
Katie Byrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Wow, I FINALLY did the poll so I could get into here! hehe It looks like more and more folks are curious to be able to compare notes on our little rigs in person, huh? hehe

Francene, thanks for the kudos, but really I just think that Jen and I happened to voice what most had been thinking about already. And JEN set up this thread, and the other ones as well, so she's the hard-working gal who needs KUDOS! hehe

It is great too seeing how close together geographically some of us really are, Dana down in the SB area, and Jen being here in the SM area, small world huh?

I am aiming for the Lake Casitas trip myself, but would be open to attending a rally just about anywhere here in Ca, if I can get the time off from work. I do agree with others, that if we do put together a rally, lets make it open for everybody, but maybe the Hunter siblings are the 'stars' of the event? hehe

I agree that a slide show would be fun, as well as a potluck. I'm in a camping group now, and we always have a potluck on Sat night on a trip. It's a real blast to see what people come up with! hehe

In the meantime, everybody keep snapping pics of your redos/mods on your rigs, and keep posting them so we all can enjoy them here, as well as at a future slideshow, K? hehe

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #9

Trailer: Compact Jr
Folks who live in the South West, Northern California (or anyone willing to travel) consider participating in the Lake Casitas Rally end of October.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:05 PM   #10

Also, another couple rallies that are very popular for California are the Pismo Rally in May, and the Lake Casitas Vintage trailer rally end of April. It is not exclusive to fiberglass trailers, but a great variety of vintage trailers there. I have seen only a couple Compact trailers participating, and would be nice to see a small group representing fiberglass trailers.

A chance to see each other's trailers, compare notes, and see many other interests in vintage trailers.

You can see some pictures of the Lake Casitas Vintage Trailer rally here:
Lake Casitas Vintage Trailer Rally Photos

Old 05-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #11

Registry
There's a PISMO rally?! How did we miss THAT one?!

We're considering Casitas, but given that it's on Halloween weekend (and we travel with kids), plus there's no water access for said kids (or their kid-like mother) I'm not sure I'm going to be able to talk the family into it.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
I'm with you Jen, why have I not heard of this Pismo Rally? I could just about throw a stone and hit that campground! hehe
Well I am definitely shooting for Lake Casitas this fall, so lets try to get as many of us Hunter folks there as possible, so we can gawk at each other's rigs and compare notes, K? hehe

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #13

Linda and Katie we should get together -- we're in the same city! (we met Linda back in January and haven't followed up on getting together again.)

We'll take a look at the Lake Casitas rally. It might be a bit of a stretch for us, just depends on the calendar.

Hillary
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:21 AM   #14

Note: There are two very different gatherings at Lake Casitas. Just so people don't get the two mixed up. The April event is a general vintage trailer rally, and gains popularity each year. This last April, the organizer Craig Fraki had good PR coverage and invited much of the public to participate and view some of these vintage jewels. Good exposure for anyone restoring vintage trailers.

The Lake Casitas event in October, is organized here on this forum. You can find info in the South West rally section. If you are thinking of participating, don't delay in getting reservations. Last year, my first year, I had to wait for cancellations, and was lucky to get a spot. Most of the trailers there were newer Casitas trailers, a few Big Foots, Bolers, Scamps, etc... I was hoping to see a Compact Jr., but none were in sight.

I don't know if my Compact Jr. will be campable by then, but will try my best. Rebuilding ALL woodwork from scratch.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #15

Name: Chela
Trailer: SOLD my 1974 Hunter Compact II nd
Alabama
Compact II fiberglass, looking for rallies.

This is an old thread, but I just purchased a restored Hunter Compact II. If there is a rally of vintage fiberglass tralers with popup roofs, I would love to attend. I live in southern Alabama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post

I don't know if my Compact Jr. will be campable by then, but will try my best. Rebuilding ALL woodwork from scratch.
chelak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I'd like you to have it in Connecticut , Mass or NY so I could see them! I dont have one
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
There's going to be three of them in Niagara Falls next weekend
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #18

Name: Kath
California
Compact Jr. Owner :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenPB View Post
Some of us have been talking about a potential rally focused on fiberglass trailers that share the central pop-up. (We talked about it here, too.) It sounds like those who have taken part in the discussion tend toward California, but I wonder if there are more of us out there?

Who's interested?
Kathleen & Lance Hibben
Where are you?
Roseville, CA
We would be open to a 400 - 500 mile range from Roseville, CA
We want to see and learn how to fix up the Compact Jr. from people who have gone through it
We have an Aussie
Jun, July, Aug (but shorter trips we could do during the rest of the months)
So, here's a little poll for us.

Joe put together a list of the trailer types we're focused on, but this would, of course, be an all-comers rally!

1. Compact Jr
2. Compact II
3. TrailsWest Campster
4. Havasu
5. Family Wagon
6. Peer Mini
7. Hunter I
8. Cadets
9. Eriba Pucks
10. Basically anything that has that obvious resemblance in shape to any of those, with a pop-top.
We bought our Compact Jr. 2 years ago and love camping in it. We have plans to rebuild some of it but have yet to start. Now that we have found this web site we are looking forward to meeting other Compact owners and sharing ideas. We live in Roseville, CA. Would love to hear from you. We are jumping into the Oregon Rally this year in July any other Compacts going??
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #19

Registry
This is a really old thread, Kathy, but I'm glad you wrote! Look at the "rallies" forum for updated details on gatherings. We attended the San Antonion Lake rally a few years back. Really nice people, fun to see all the rigs and their alterations.
Best,
Jen

Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
We are jumping into the Oregon Rally this year in July any other Compacts going??
Well, so far... there's you... and there's Barbara and Stephen. They're going to be in B Loop. Fun times ahead.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote