Comparing 17ft Bigfoot to 17ft Casita LD - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #21

Name: Rob
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
Oregon
I'd like to "weigh in" on this discussion. There are some definite advantages to a sturdier trailer. We are in the process of acquiring a 21 foot Bigfoot now. We walked through our unit last Saturday and I was really amazed at how stable it was without the stabilizing jacks down. I wonder if I will ever find the need to use the stabilizers.... Also, if you are planning any interstate driving, a heavier unit will trail better behind you when the 18 wheelers wiz by. MPG is a definite trade off...you have to decide what is important to you :-)
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Weight and sturdiness are two different animals, Just because something is heavier does not make it sturdier nor vice versa. Sturdiness is a function of build components. Bigfoot, like other manufacturers use torsion axles which require stabilizers due to the nature of their construction, not the weight of the trailer. Torsion axles have rubber bands, which flex while being towed or with people moving about inside. Perhaps a brand new axle may have less give than a 10 year old axle, but old or new, both will give and flex, thus the need for stabilizers.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #23

Name: Sharon&Roger
Trailer: 2012 13ft Scamp
Missouri
Tow vehicle

Glenn, we were wondering about that. We tow our Casita with our Toyota Tundra, small V8, with no problem at all. Wasn't sure whether we would also have to upgrade the tow vehicle with the Bigfoot or not.

Rob, I don't see us making lots of "long" trips, mostly weekends at the Lake in Branson, just 40 miles south ... hopefully, a few rallies in nearby states, and definitely a few longer trips to see the rest of the country. I really think that, for us, comfort is even more important than the gas mileage ;-)
Swasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Elbow room?

carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #25

Oregon
Jim, that is a good description. I am familiar with the torsion concept. Do you literally mean to use the term "rubber band"? My previous understanding of a torsion axle was that the axle twisted to absorb shocks.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #26

Pennsylvania
Registry
the rubber tubes/bands inside are static at rest and it will stretch/twist and return to it's static state,So I guess figuratively, but also literally if you call the tubes a band of rubber. You say potato, I say potata !!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #27

Oregon
OK, thanks. It is fun to learn new things!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #28

Oregon
I just googled this and learned quite a bit about "rubber" torsion axles. Has it pro's and con's. It is what it is relative to my purchase so I will be interested to see how I like this suspension over time. Thanks again Jim, for this learning opportunity.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #29

Pennsylvania
Registry
Not to confuse you Rob, but some Bigfoots have shocks and air suspension and I believe springs in lieu of torsion axles. One just sold recently here on the forum with that set up.
Here is the link I found- it was a fantastic set up
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...1rb-52154.html
Old 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #30

Oregon
OK thanks Jim,
It is easy to identify a torsion axle. I'll see what I have when I pick this unit up on Friday.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #31

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
Jim, that is a good description. I am familiar with the torsion concept. Do you literally mean to use the term "rubber band"? My previous understanding of a torsion axle was that the axle twisted to absorb shocks.
More commonly called rubber cords- and your understanding of how they work is fairly accurate.

Most torsion-type axles are made up of a piece of square rod at a 45° angle within a larger hollow square tube, with rubber cords inserted into the voids. The more the rod turns within the tube, the more the cords squish and resist the turning.

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
qaxle2.jpg  
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
PRizzo meant Bigfoot, she has been in mine and several others. I like Casitas but they are too small for us. If Bigfoot ever makes a new 5th wheel and we win the lottery, there will be one in our driveway (or maybe the rear bedroom 25fter).
Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #33

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
If the OP is looking at a 1990 17' (1500 series) Bigfoot, it will have steel leaf springs. Bigfoot has been making 17' trailers for 35 years so the weight of any model varies with the year of manufacture and equipment. My 1980 15B17G weighed 2290 lbs. empty expect for propane and minus a battery when I bought it. A late model 2500 series 17.5' with all the options may weigh 4000 lbs.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #34

Name: Terrylou
Trailer: 2010 Earthbound
California
Of all the fiberglass 17 footers that I have seen when you compare weight, space, quality, this is purely my opinion.! Boler is light weight but lacks quality and space, casita lacks space, biggar great on space., scamp solid trailer very narrow, But very dated, lack space and very simple, longevity unknown as they are the new kid on the block. The Bigfoot after much shopping and investigating became our trailer of choice! Solid, spacious, quality throughout, solid cabinets all the amenities you get in much larger trailers, while a litter heavier it tows like a dream with a 6 cylinder. Big screened windows that latch securely, solid door latches securely, largest fridge of all, in the newer models. So while I might sound bias and I suppose I may be a little, I did a lot of shopping before I purchase my 17.5 side bath ! I also regret that we have out grown it and have to sell it.
Terry Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #35

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hummmm. I think you're trying to compare apples to oranges... both "fruit," but totally different.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #36

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Bigfoot made a 19ft Gaucho and a bunk bed model. They were dual axle models. they were only made 85,86,87 I think.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #37

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hummmm. I think you're trying to compare apples to oranges... both "fruit," but totally different.
ROFL..................I like that.
My wife was asking the difference between a duck and geese. Atwood is advertising baby birds. I asked her, what's the difference between a perch and a catfish? They are both fish.

Like you say, we try to compare what basically is not comparable.
All are unique to their own even if similar. Each of us has our own needs.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #38

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I have never seen or heard of a Bigfoot with a rubber torsion axle. I don't know what was used on the 13-foot "Little Bigfoot", but at least everything bigger seems to have used beam axles on leaf springs. Certainly, no current Bigfoot trailers use an independent or rubber-sprung suspension.

The spring material doesn't matter, anyway. A trailer with a stiffer suspension will shift less when you walk around than one with a softer suspension and you can make springs that are as soft or hard as desired out of steel, rubber, or air. My 17 foot Boler is not particularly soft, but still moves a lot if the stabilizers are not used... and it has a beam axle and leaf springs. My ten-ton motorhome moves a lot less, but you can still feel someone at the other end walking around if you pay attention... it has beam/live axles and huge leaf springs (at both ends). On the other hand, I was chatting with another motorhome owner who didn't bother with the stabilizers, but then he had a 15-ton motorhome... on air springs and live/beam axles.

In George's Bigfoot 25B21RB mentioned above, the beam axles and leaf springs are stock, while the air springs (and possibly shocks) are supplemental additions by the owner.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #39

Name: Terrylou
Trailer: 2010 Earthbound
California
I must say I'm confused about apples, oranges, ducks, or geese? I thought the original question was about what trailer has more interior space ! I was simply providing my opinion that after seeing several trailers the Bigfoot has more interior space based on what i've seem Sorry if I confused anyone ! I guess that's what can happens when you talk about size ... It's a relative term ha ha ha ! Love fiberglass fans!
Terry Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #40

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Not totally different: both round, single-serving size, good to eat for a snack... there's no point in trying to determine which is "better", but it makes perfect sense to compare them in order to decide which one better suits your preferences. Just like choosing between two significantly different trailers of the same general type and size.

Of course, just as someone will answer the question "is an apple or an orange better for me" with "have you considered a pear?", we have thrown in more options. Since the original concern was with space, these suggestions have generally been other bigger-than-Casita models, with emphasis on ones with a wider interior.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, casita