Compounding Sux! LOL - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-08-2020, 07:31 PM   #1

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Compounding Sux! LOL

So far we've spent 2 days washing, compounding/polishing. Tomorrow we will start on the wax job. We bought a polisher so expected it to make light of the job. WRONG! LOL. Still a lot of work and the vibration at 3000 opm is brutal. Hubby says he will never be lazy again and leave the cover off for 2 yrs lol. Actually he had a heart attack, triple bypass, stents and ultimately a defibrillator so he is excused for the cover. She does shine up nice and we haven't even waxed her yet. Found FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover Gel) makes rust and black streak removal a breeze! Also removed, sanded, painted and lubed the stabilizer jacks so they should operate smoothly again. Have to order a rubber door seal as our foam one is literally blowing away in the wind. Still have the snap cap project but our HOA is threatening to fine us cuz the trailer has been here 48 hours and will be til we finish the wax job so will complete snap caps before we head out for Eggs On The Hiawassee Rally the end of the month. Cant wait been 2 yrs since we've been camping!
Old 05-08-2020, 08:49 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Compounding Sioux City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
So far we've spent 2 days washing, compounding/polishing. !
Having been born there, you got my attention.
SUX =

Sioux Gateway Airport | Sioux City, Iowa

P.S : Stone State park was a great place to camp. I spent a couple of days there about ten yars ago when the rest if the area was under water.

AC0GV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #3

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Sounds like 1st World Problems to me!

And I remember the HOA in your neighborhood too,they started circling the house almost as soon as I showed up there with the TAB!

And you cant even really circle your house?

Hope you all are well.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:58 AM   #4

Florida
Hi Ed! We're doing better now. Hubby celebrated the 1 yr anniversary of his heart attack by waxing the trailer so that's awesome! They did CPR for 15 mins to get him back so we're very blessed and thankful. At this point I'll just pay the HOA fine if it comes too it. Cant neglect the Scamp just bc we're not allowed to have a trailer there even to load or unload much less for maintenance. We were just talking about the T@b the other day! Our oldest daughter is on her own now and our youngest will be in 2 yrs, hard to believe! So we will be modifying the interior of the Scamp to better suit 2 people instead of accommodating 4.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:09 AM   #5

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
According to our fine city fathers, we have 4-72 hour periods a year for loading and unloading!
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
FSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Found FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover Gel) makes rust and black streak removal a breeze!
Hey thanks for the tip. When I was installing my Pro Pride hitch I needed to cut some metal in the battery/propane box with a highspeed cut off wheel. Well some fine iron filings got on my cargo box and rusted even though I blew the whole area off with compressed air. It took me an hour or two to get 95% off using some polishing compound. I will give this a try.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:59 AM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
According to our fine city fathers, we have 4-72 hour periods a year for loading and unloading!
I need to check into that because according to the HOA their rules trump city rules every time..... if that's not true that would definitely be good to know and relieve the stress every time we bring it home for trips etc.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Hey thanks for the tip. When I was installing my Pro Pride hitch I needed to cut some metal in the battery/propane box with a highspeed cut off wheel. Well some fine iron filings got on my cargo box and rusted even though I blew the whole area off with compressed air. It took me an hour or two to get 95% off using some polishing compound. I will give this a try.
Ya we tried Never Dull, Barkeepers Friend, nail polish remover (just a tiny bit on the tip of a Qtip), Rust-Aid, and various other suggestions. Went to get wax at the Marine Store and saw this gel which had been suggested on another site and it worked in like 2 mins. We had streaks all the way down from the gravel shield hardware, the cable outlet cover chain, door catch plate on the door etc and it took it all off!
Old 05-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #9

Florida
Thanks for the State Park tip! We travel through there periodically when we go to Lake Superior and the Scamp Factory etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Having been born there, you got my attention.
SUX =

Sioux Gateway Airport | Sioux City, Iowa

P.S : Stone State park was a great place to camp. I spent a couple of days there about ten yars ago when the rest if the area was under water.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #10

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
There are several brands of fg stain remover. Which one did you try?

And whjle we're on the subject of stains, etc. I have found Mr Clean Erasers to do a great job on fiberglass.

Walt
Old 05-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #11

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
And whjle we're on the subject of stains, etc. I have found Mr Clean Erasers to do a great job on fiberglass.

Walt

That's because it's actually a sanding medium. Takes away a small layer of surface. My problem with it is that if you use it on a small area, that area stands out and you have to clean all the rest too.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #12

Florida
It's literally called FSR by Davis. I'm on my phone so going to attempt to attach a pic. It's a blue gel in a jar and the guy at West Marine said it's basically Naval Jelly.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200509_142301343.jpg  
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #13

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
There are several brands of fg stain remover. Which one did you try?

Walt
Gee I didn't even think of them and they are in the bathroom of the camper.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:12 PM   #14

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
That's because it's actually a sanding medium. Takes away a small layer of surface. My problem with it is that if you use it on a small area, that area stands out and you have to clean all the rest too.
I've used it several times and not noticed any problem of that type. I'll make it a point to look out for that next time. Of course anything can take some finish off if used aggressively enough.

Walt