Concept Trailer with Electric Motors in the Axle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Transit tax

Sorry Glen, I was thinking only of gas tax, and as you may know some states try to collect more taxes from alternative fuel vehicles because they don't use enough gasoline to pay for roads and upkeep . It will certainly be a long term challenge. And here in Calif I hear lots of people moaning about how much they pay in gas tax, or complaining that roads are not kept up. Maybe the only humor or sarcasm is my thought that hopefully politicians will have the 'knowledge' to fairly balance people's needs and taxes, including on Big Oil ! David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I should have said "here, in Metro Vancouver", not "here in BC".
Outside of Metro Vancouver they don't have the transit surtax.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:07 PM   #23
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
https://fuentitech.com/thor-moves-fo...railer/459376/
I know this is an old thread but I found this recent update on the status of the technology intriguing.
Seems the concept is moving forward.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:58 PM   #24

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
The main advantage of an EV that I see right now is you don't have to pay fuel tax on the coal or natural gas burned in the power plant to charge it.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:01 PM   #25

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Also I have noticed that the pollution from mining rare earth minerals (for EV batteries) and burning burning coal power plants in China and elsewhere does not count toward the total pollution of Earth.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:04 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Also the pollution from mining rare earth minerals (for EV batteries) and coal burning power plants in China and elsewhere does not count toward the total pollution of Earth.
This should be of interest to you:
From a recent episode of Quirks and Quarks on CBC radio:

Are electric cars truly carbon emission-free, if the source of the electricity is a carbon source?
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/2017...urce-1.4410563
Old 01-14-2022, 03:35 PM   #27

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
The main advantage of an EV that I see right now is you don't have to pay fuel tax on the coal or natural gas burned in the power plant to charge it.

But you'll have to pay much higher registration and renewal fees to DMV in your state to offset the fuel tax.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:33 PM   #28

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
82 kWh from the tow car, and 74 kWh from the trailer's drive is 156 total for the 240 mile trip. 156 kWh is the same energy as in 4.7 (US) gallons of gasoline.
240 miles on 4.7 gallons is 51 mpg.
Pretty good, but there still that limited range. The 240 miles took almost 90% of the electrical energy that was available.
Jon MB
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:38 AM   #29

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Too late to edit the above....
Further research shows the power used was 94% of the capacity. The Audi has a 95 kWh battery, but is limited to 86 of those to reduce the degradation effect that gets worse when charge or discharge approaches 100% or 0%. The Coco has two 40 kWh batteries, but I didn't locate what the usable capacity was.
How close to empty do you run your fossil fueled tow vehicle before you start to squirm?

The 240 mile trip took a bit over 6 hours, or an average speed of less than 40 mph. Since air resistance is a huge power consumer, and that resistance changes at the square of the change in speed, driving that rig at 60 mph (1.5 times the 40 mph) would consume battery at 1.5 x 1.5 times the rate. The 156 kWh used to go 240 miles at 40 mph would be used in 107 miles driving at 60 mph. I don't need to stop to eat or go pee every 100 minutes so what do I do while recharging?

The Coco can, if available, use DC fast charging at up to 50 kw rate, meaning the 74 kWh used could be put back in an hour and a half.
The Audi has a DC fast charge rate that peaks at 150 kw, but not right away, and that tapers off as full is approached. Audi claims 45 minutes are needed. Again, if a DC fast charge is available. Alternating current charge locations are more prevalent, but those require the use of on-board A/C to D/C chargers that have inherent conversion losses and power limits due to these transformer's heat production.
Jon MB
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle