Concerns about carrying 2 e-bikes on back hitch and sway - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2020, 08:26 AM   #21

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
They make those hitches because people want them, not because they are useful. Once people research it (typically later after purchase) they discover they are pretty limited. OK for a basket with light weight items. Due to the affect on sway, they are borderline useless.

eBikes? You are talking a lot of weight!

I remember the story a friend told me years ago. It was back in Illinois, where everyone had a concrete patio (no wood decks). His neighbor had a brown one, instead of the typical whitish gray color. So he asked his neighbor, “how did you do that?” “Simple, I bought brown paint, added it to the concrete in a wheel barrow, and poured it in.” So he copied his neighbor. And he had a beautiful brown patio!

Then he started noticing brown dust in his house, particularly in the carpet by his sliding glass door to the patio. Then he noticed brown dust coming off his patio. He washed it several times, still got brown dust coming off and into his house.

So he checks with his neighbor. "I did just like you said, but I am getting all this brown dust." Neighbor said "yeah, I hate how it does that...."
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:33 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingbliss View Post
Thank you so much for the great info and personal experiences. This begs the question though, what are those rear mounted hitches for then if it’s problematic for carrying rack and bikes? I will do a short test run with only one bike on back and lighten the load by taking the seat and battery off, making the whole set up around 70#’s. I will fill 2- 6 gallon Jugs of water to store up front along with my heavier items and try to fit the 2nd bike inside the camper somehow. I wish I had reached out to this group before buying the $$$ hitch bike rack set up, sigh...
But better safe than rolled over on the side of the highway.
this is what the rear hitch on the trailer is for.

https://www.amazon.com/Bumper-Dumper.../dp/B006IVN03O
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
...This begs the question though, what are those rear mounted hitches for then if it’s problematic for carrying rack and bikes? ...
I got the hitch for an antenna mast mount.

Note that the 16 models tend to be lighter on the tongue than the 13's (depending on layout, etc). So putting a light load on the back of a 13 works more often, but even then caution is advised.
Attached Thumbnails
Ant Mast1.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #24

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I have no experience with the thread topic but if you intend to do a test run with a bike on the rack maybe get someone to drive your rig. Then you can follow it to see exactly what's happening back there as well from behind the wheel.
Fred
Old 08-27-2020, 02:58 PM   #25

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
this is what the rear hitch on the trailer is for.

https://www.amazon.com/Bumper-Dumper.../dp/B006IVN03O
YIKES! $100 for that? Crazy what some people will spend.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #26

California
Quote:
YIKES! $100 for that? Crazy what some people will spend.
yep and no seat belt.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #27

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
WOW-MOM-WOW-MOM

Our E21C has the factory rear bumper welded hitch receiver, rated for 500 lbs, but tho I wd like an EB, I wd not try to load two EBs thereon..just too much weight in the rear, for me..
WE tow w a Nissan Titan CrewCab, XD 4x4 and it has a 6'6" bed..if I ever buy EBs, that is where they will ride. But that's just my opinion.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:32 PM   #28

Name: Christine
Trailer: 2011 Casita Spirit DLX
Texas
I have a question regarding the bike racks and sway from the bikes on the hitch receiver(frame mounted)on the back of our 17 ft Casita. If we have sway control, wouldn’t that prevent sway from happening with a regular swagman bike rack and two light weight hybrid bicycles?
Hot Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:41 PM   #29

California
no one can say for sure if it works or not. everyone's situation is different is it worth the chance? maybe it is and maybe you get away with it for a very long time until the conditions just change for the worse. maybe as a big rig passes you and you hit just the right pot hole or you have a rear tire blow out. and that day its your turn to soil your laundry.

Id rather have everyone arrive at their destination safely.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:39 PM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: Waiting on 16" Scamp
Colorado Springs
Rear receiver on Scamp

So my take (if it's worth anything) is it's all about weight. I have a Thule swing away bike rack that is f'ing heavy!! Good solid product but I'd don't think I'll be hanging on the back of our 16" scamp. IF (and that's the issue) I find a much more light weight bike rack to fit the 2" receiver, and our bikes are mostly light weight (can you say $$$) then maybe we'll consider a bike rack on the back of the Scamp. At this point from what I've read I thinking Nyet......
mm2670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:54 PM   #31

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
I have no experience with the thread topic but if you intend to do a test run with a bike on the rack maybe get someone to drive your rig. Then you can follow it to see exactly what's happening back there as well from behind the wheel.
Fred
This is a very good idea ! We have been behind so many campers with bikes on the back where the bikes are bouncing all over the place and the driver has no clue because he can't see them. One time we were following a 5th wheel camper that had two bikes on the rear and the rack broke off resulting in the bikes being dragged down the road by the tie down strap. We have seen several campers with bikes so badly attached that we had to get by and far away from them, fearing they would fall off. Make sure the trailer lights are not obstructed by the bikes.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:53 AM   #32

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Coco View Post
I have a question regarding the bike racks and sway from the bikes on the hitch receiver(frame mounted)on the back of our 17 ft Casita. If we have sway control, wouldn’t that prevent sway from happening with a regular swagman bike rack and two light weight hybrid bicycles?
The "control" in sway control is not absolute. There will always be a limit to the control, just like your brakes have a limit on how fast and often they can slow you down. General consensus is that your rig should be stable and not sway in normal operation and without a sway control device. Then the sway control device is added to help dampen and control sway in expected or extreme circumstances such as high winds or sudden swerving to avoid a road obstacle.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #33

California

note everything is fine until its not.

also note when things started to go wrong no application of just trailer brakes to straighten out the trailer.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #34

California
Old 09-02-2020, 02:52 AM   #35

Trailer: Boler
Registry
We bought two ebikes this year as well. i made a wooden bike rack that goes where the dinette table normally is. I dont have to worry about the bikes getting stolen or beat up or wet in the rain. The receiver on the trailer bumper is where my hammock rack is stored and used.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #36

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Thanks for sharing your solution Doug. Can you by chance post pictures of your set up? Both inside and out?
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:49 AM   #37

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Getting ready to head to boon docking country tomorrow I will try and get some pictures.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #38

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
We have two Rad City e-bikes, which together weigh in at a tad over 120 Lbs. for the pair, not counting any bike carrier brackets. This probably won't work for anyone without a pickup or at least a large SUV with about 6 ft. of storage room in the back, but it works great for us. It's a Saris Traps Triple Rail System. It is free standing in the truck bed, so it doesn't require any mounting holes and bolts. The front wheels are removed from the bikes and are placed in Traps Wheel Holders, and the front fork of each bike is mounted in Traps Fork Mounts. No weight anywhere on the trailer, it's all in the bed of my truck where weight is no problem. Rides very stable and doesn't move or slide around, yet is not attached to the truck bed.

https://www.saris.com/product/traps-triple
https://www.saris.com/product/wheel-holder
https://www.saris.com/product/traps-fork
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:41 AM   #39

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Bike on back

It's not sway you have to worry about had two bikes on back of 16 ft casita never had any sway but the bikes bounce up and down so much that the rack broke and one bike was dragging on the road no bike rack can take the bouncing. Find a better way to carry them or get a folding bike.
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:59 AM   #40

Name: Chris
Trailer: 1986 Play-Mor II & Scamp 13' Build date April 2019
Connecticut
I carry 2 bikes on the back of my 13' Play-Mor 2. I am using a 1-UP super duty rack that is RV rated. It is not ideal but works until I get a pickup truck.
All the other racks on the market seemed super cheap to the 1-up.
CSiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp