Concerns with gas appliances - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Ontario
Concerns with gas appliances

The article below raises concerns about using gas appliances inside a house. Iím sure it applies at least equally to small trailers. Use of the range hood and opening a window probably solves the issue for cooking. The furnace or hot water tank that vent outside are not an issue. Using an unvented gas heater inside could be a concern.

The article does focus on children with asthma. Iím sure the issues are relevant to older folks with lung or cardio issues as well.

https://qz.com/1941254/experts-are-s...of-gas-stoves/

Bob
Lanarkwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I have a CO detector in my Escape 21 that has a digital readout. While I've never seen a reading when using one of the stove top burners, if I don't run the range hood fan when baking, the initial oven warm up will show a reading. If the trailer is completely sealed & no fan, it has fired off the alarm.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #3
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
With the amount of contaminants in the air and the stuff we breathe in every day not to mention food additives that end up inside us or what is in the water we drink, I personally worry about cooking with propane (or natural gas) about on par with my worry that the sun won’t come up in the morning or that the government will suspend taxation and I will have to figure out what to do with all the extra money.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #4
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Covid is running amok. The air and water are polluted. The planet is warming. The ice caps are melting. Sea level is rising. The food I eat is filled with microplastics. My cell phone is frying my brain. My home is filled with radon gas. There's a piece of Russian space junk about to land on me and if that misses there's an asteroid right behind it. And now I best not make a cup of coffee on my gas stove. Thanks for the warning.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:10 PM   #5

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I have a CO detector in my Escape 21 that has a digital readout. While I've never seen a reading when using one of the stove top burners, if I don't run the range hood fan when baking, the initial oven warm up will show a reading. If the trailer is completely sealed & no fan, it has fired off the alarm.
We have two CO detectors in our Escape 5.0.

Many nights we run our Martin catalytic heater with one window open about a 1/2" and the ceiling vent open another 1/2". We've never had the CO detector come on and don't expect it will.

OTOH, it seems once a trip we forget to open a window a crack in the morning and start coffee and cooking oatmeal without the range hood running. One CO detector will come on and the other will register CO at a level I'm not comfortable with. Once we open the door for a few seconds and crack a window/ceiling vent the CO detector goes off. I kind of like this since it tells me our CO detectors are doing their jobs.

Ninety percent of our camping is in the shoulder seasons when either the furnace or catalytic heater is running.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs - 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, that we regret selling, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we also regret selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #6

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
CO detector and Gas detectors is a must.
We have multiple CO detectors both in the RV and in our house.

Costco has the CO detector with the 10 year battery. I bought ours there on sale.
Darwin Maring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:47 PM   #7

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1974 Hunter Compact II & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Covid is running amok. The air and water are polluted. The planet is warming. The ice caps are melting. Sea level is rising. The food I eat is filled with microplastics. My cell phone is frying my brain. My home is filled with radon gas. There's a piece of Russian space junk about to land on me and if that misses there's an asteroid right behind it. And now I best not make a cup of coffee on my gas stove. Thanks for the warning.
Don't forgit all this CRAP is going to make you die an early, quick and horrible death!

At least you have something to look forward to!!!!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #8

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
Ahh after reading this thread I just had to go fix a cup of coffee then dinner followed up with another cup of coffee all done on my Scamp's propane stove. I'm sure after all the crap I have been exposed to in Middle East, Europe and by the Army much less driving though any major cities that bit of fumes from Propane burning is nothing.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote