Consensus on trailers being available after covid - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-22-2020, 05:20 PM   #21

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The availability of a good, USED molded FG trailer is more about luck, rather than any economic trend. I looked for a Trillium for almost a year, finally drove 625 miles ONE way to get one. About three weeks later, one popped up for sale in my market... Go figure. But that was two years ago, and I have not seen one again in my market.

So I would not wait. I would look aggressively, and if one nearby pops up, POUNCE. Now driving 625 miles one way, thats pretty extreme.....

Now I can picture a flood of used stickies. Then again, they depreciate so fast, owners may be so far upside down on them, they will be stuck. Some people take loans as long as 10 years, others as long as TWENTY YEARS. How do you sell a trailer when you are way, way, upside down on it? Not sure about that one. The molded FG market is a pretty unique, niche market.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:49 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Life comes at you fast as the insurance commercials used to say.

https://www.youtube.com/v=QjWWWq-um4U

I delayed my retirement and my travel plans for a year to serve my client's interests. I retired this year, and now here I am in a whole different world from anything I might ever have imagined.

Because you never know what tomorrow will bring, I humbly suggest getting that trailer, or pet, or whatever else it might be that your heart truly desires and which you can afford.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #23

Name: Ron
Trailer: Keystone
California
Speculation/Prediction

Many good thoughts via others, so here is my 2 cents worth.

Many of the entry level Travel Trailers are built poorly, and simply do not hold up. So good price or not, not a good value.

The average RVer uses the camper 3-5 times a year, generally for a few days at a time, and one 2 week stay (this is based on industry studies)

Since people can not easily vacation abroad, they still want to get out and explore, so some are choosing to try RVing. Some will like it, many will do it until other options are available, a lot like boating.

Financing an RV will prove challenging for most, as it is one of the most risky loans a bank can make, as it is to finance a "toy", and when times get tough, "toys" are one of the first things to go.

To to buy now or wait. There will be many that don't like the RV that they choose, and those will be back on the market quickly. However, most will be stuck in a financial quagmire. They will owe more than its worth, and can not afford to sell it. So if you can find one at a better than average price, consider it, but buy what will make you happy for 5-10 years, as non come cheap enough to throw away due to impulse buy.

Also, if your looking at travel trailers, Fiberglass is better, but twice the price.
ronberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:13 AM   #24

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
RV sales are at an all time high while the number of available campsites remains unchanged...the new crowd of RV owners will soon realize that their dream of a
lakefront campsite is a myth...they will soon realize they must sell and move on.
I have discovered a large supply of large motorhomes (over 30 feet in length) less than a year old....tough sale...owners are “under water” on their loans.

Currently there is a shortage of quality used RV at reasonable prices....I know because
I have been looking since last year. The few I did locate had a waiting list of buyers.

Good Luck in your search...if you find one buy it but be patient...Slim Pickings.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #25

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
You're asking us which trailer you should buy? Most of us would answer ...they love the one they got. When should you buy it? When you got the money. Look over a few candidates in person, if you can. You'll know it when you see it.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:58 PM   #26

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
About 6 months after I got my Scamp I had a chance to buy a nice motorhome for way less than half of it's value... What the owners owed on it. They was moving and cost for storage at new location, tags, taxes and insurance would cost more than they owed. That and their limited use they decided to part with it. It sold in less than 4 hours. Look at all the "Overlander's" that's now the in thing. RTT sales just like RV's sales backlogged for up to 2 years now. If fuel prices spike up, it will be a buyer's market but I don't expect the fiberglass ones to experience it.
Fiberglass and Airstream have been stable in market for about 50 years in the nitch market share as a know long life product. Many are still in use from 20+ years ago. Some people's hobby is just renovation work to them. I think maybe a few are here.
Just plan for what you want stay in budget and keep eyes open for "your good deal". It might be right in front of you already or parked a few streets away.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote