Considering 17.5 Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: Looking
Minnesota
Considering 17.5 Bigfoot

Hi all,
We recently found this forum while trying to determine the trailer that would suit our needs best. We looked at Scamps, Casita’s and others, but ultimately think that the Bigfoot 17.5 models would be our #1 choice. It appears that the 2005 model year was the first to use foam insulation, so we’ve focused on that year up to the present.
Questions-
What are the differences between these model years? Are there any?
How about the last year before they closed the doors, did they take any shortcuts?
Thanks.
1down4up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1down4up View Post
Hi all,
We recently found this forum while trying to determine the trailer that would suit our needs best. We looked at Scamps, Casita’s and others, but ultimately think that the Bigfoot 17.5 models would be our #1 choice. It appears that the 2005 model year was the first to use foam insulation, so we’ve focused on that year up to the present.
Questions-
What are the differences between these model years? Are there any?
How about the last year before they closed the doors, did they take any shortcuts?
Thanks.
Take a look at the Escape made in Canada. Bigfoot used the foam insulation since the 1980's. Go look at the Bigfoot Owners website forum. Bigfoot made the 17 for many years until the 2000 yrs when they changed the model to 17.5. they only made 2 floor plans a Center Bath and a gaucho, 2009 they made a few front bed units until the factory closed. Bigfoot's are heavy. I have owned six Bigfoot's before buying a 19ft Escape.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #3

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
Take a look at the Escape made in Canada. Bigfoot used the foam insulation since the 1980's. Go look at the Bigfoot Owners website forum. Bigfoot made the 17 for many years until the 2000 yrs when they changed the model to 17.5. they only made 2 floor plans a Center Bath and a gaucho, 2009 they made a few front bed units until the factory closed. Bigfoot's are heavy. I have owned six Bigfoot's before buying a 19ft Escape.
Chuck
Thanks Chuck, I appreciate your input. I read somewhere that Bigfoot didn’t insulate their 17.5 model until 2005. But you know how it is regarding anything you read on the internet.
Thanks for opening my eyes to the Escape. I looked on their website and see that the interior height is 6’5”, that is a big plus. The prices of their new models compete with used Bigfoot prices too. Best regards, Dan
Old 04-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Hi all,
did they take any shortcuts?
Thanks.

From my experience of just seeing Bigfoot's. They didn't take shortcuts! Sorry, can't help with the differences, but wanted to say the Bigfoot's I have seen are beauticul trailers.

Good luck finding one........................
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #5

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I bought a used 1991 17 foot gaucho and am pleased with it. In later years the weight went up considerable mine fully loaded comes in at 2800 pounds.

As for insulation the big difference is the double glazed windows and insulated tanks in the newer units. Quality has always been one of the strongest points with Bigfoot.
If your over six feet tall pay careful attention to the bed length.

Escape I also looked at and had I been able to get one in my price range would have.
The fact that I found a great clean seldom used Bigfoot for a good price with everything in proper working order made the decision easy and I have no regret buying.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft 2000 Scamp
I also think the Escapes and the Bigfoots are very nice, just do not see many used in the States, and buying new seems pretty expensive, although they are pretty well built. I keep looking.
Steve M K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #7

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
From my experience of just seeing Bigfoot's. They didn't take shortcuts! Sorry, can't help with the differences, but wanted to say the Bigfoot's I have seen are beauticul trailers.

Good luck finding one........................
Thanks Robin. I have yet to see a Bigfoot in person, here in Minnesota they are pretty rare. But judging from pictures, I would agree with you about how nice they look.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M K View Post
I also think the Escapes and the Bigfoots are very nice, just do not see many used in the States, and buying new seems pretty expensive, although they are pretty well built. I keep looking.
Steve you need to spend more time on the US west coast and mid west

The number of Escapes at the Bandon meet each year has grown to the point that I am pretty sure that last year they where #2 most popular trailer as far as the number of them at the meet. I seem to recall Casita still held the top spot but only by a few and Scamp slid to #3? Perhaps someone who kept the numbers could confirm thats correct. I would not be shocked if in a couple of years they where to take top spot as far as numbers go at that meet.

Last Nov/Dec I did a trip through 7 states and went down as far a Arizona and can tell you I saw more Escapes on the road & out in the desert than any other model of fiberglass trailer. Since they have started making the 19' a few used 17' have started to appear of the market so picking one up used has gotten a bit easier.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's three Escapes for sale right now, posted on Escape Trailer Industries website. From $11,000 - $20,800. Trailers are posted on the home page, left side... near the bottom.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Dan, One thing to think about should you get the 17.5 Bigfoot, which is a very nice trailer. Is its on the heavy side, so just make sure you have the right tow vehicle to pull the 17.5 . I can't speak for the Escape for towing, but have seen them and they too are very well made trailers. I had a 93 17' and really liked it very much.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft 2000 Scamp
Thanks Carol and Donna, I should of said I have not seen many in Michigan. I might just have to make a road trip someday out west, as those 19 footers sure look nice.
Steve M K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #12

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Dan, One thing to think about should you get the 17.5 Bigfoot, which is a very nice trailer. Is its on the heavy side, so just make sure you have the right tow vehicle to pull the 17.5 . I can't speak for the Escape for towing, but have seen them and they too are very well made trailers. I had a 93 17' and really liked it very much.
Thanks Tim. I think we're going to have to make a trip to the Northwest or go to some rallies close by and check some of these out. The Escapes do look more aerodynamic than the Bigfoot, but I really would like to see them up close other than just in pictures.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Tim. I think we're going to have to make a trip to the Northwest or go to some rallies close by and check some of these out. The Escapes do look more aerodynamic than the Bigfoot, but I really would like to see them up close other than just in pictures.
Tim, you can also just call Escape and ask them to refer you to an owner near you to take a look at one.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #14

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Tim, you can also just call Escape and ask them to refer you to an owner near you to take a look at one.
I'll have to do that, thanks.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I have a '92 Bigfoot 19'. It is a four season trailer: fully insulated. It is a bit heavy due to all the wood, but it is well built and I am happy to own it. I have camped in the rockies in 30 degree temps without heat (long story), and was very comfortable due to the superior insulation.

What is nice about these trailers is they are wider than the Scamps or Casitas, well insulated (if you get one with the 4 season option), and can be had for a good price. The '80s and early to mid '90 models were built by the original owner of Bigfoot and are high quality trailers.

If you can find decently priced earlier model (that has been well maintained), you'll get good value. For your $$ you get full galley with an oven & a 4 burner stove, a marine bath, built in propane heater and loads of storage space.

But ... beware of the bed size. The center bathroom model of the Bigfoot 17's are shorter when compared to the rear bathroom models. Also, you really cannot fit 1 adults into one bed, and you will have to sleep separately with one person in the Dinette & the other in the gaucho couch. If you are tall and need a longer bed, you may have to look elsewhere.

BTW, Deb & Chuck are "the authorities" on Bigfoots. I think it is significant that they have "moved on" to Escape trailers.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #16

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
I have a '05 17.5G Bigfoot and couldn't be happier with it. Quality all the way. The '05s have a thicker foam insulation, 1 1/2" and are about 6" wider than previous models....makes a real difference in interior space. Also has the dual pane windows for 4 season camping. Yes, it weighs more than some, but my Tundra 4.7 hardly knows it's back there. Make a trip out to B.C. and check out this Dealer.... Bigfoot Campers
The Bigfoot Factory has a special on now for US buyers.... Bigfoot RV - Motorhome, Truck Camper, Travel Trailer - Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer - What's New at Bigfoot

Don Dunsmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #17

Minnesota
Thanks Jane and Don, I do appreciate all the friendly advice and information I'm getting on this. Whatever trailer I might end up with, it will be parked on some land we have for the most part. I'm thinking that weight won't be so much of an issue. And that the Bigfoot insulated model might be of greater advantage to us.
Jane, thanks for pointing out the bed sizes. I'll be sure to put that on my check list.
Don, I went to the Bigfoot website and it looks like the specials are only for the 21fb model and some campers. Do they have deals on the 17.5 models too?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #18

Name: Don
Trailer: 17.5 Bigfoot
Ontario
Dan....sorry, can't answer your question about specials on the 17' model. There is a link to the Bigfoot email address for you to ask questions directly to them. What you gain in the 21' models is a permanently made up bed as well as the dual axles. Of course, more weight. Don
Don Dunsmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
With a used Bigfoot, don't ASSUME you're getting a four-season trailer. That was an option and many chose not to pay the additional expense.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #20
jck

Name: James
Trailer: Big Foot
Colorado
Dan,
You will be happy with the BigFoot! I purchased a 2006 21FB in November and took it to Northwest Kansas in December. Daytime highs were 15 degrees
and the night time lows were between 5 to 10 below F. I was boondocked in open terrain with 12 inches of snow and never had a problem. All of the water
systems worked perfectly and I only used half of a 30lb tank of propane in 5 days. I only ran the generator each night while I cooked and couldn't have been more comfortable. I have never been in a trailer that feels less confining. I am sure you will be just as happy with the 17.5. Jim
jck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot