Convection Oven Reviews? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
I have searched this forum for "convection ovens" and "toaster ovens." Though I saw a lot of interesting stuff, nothing seems to answer my specific question, so I thought I would put it out and see whether anyone can answer it.

Does anyone know of any comparative reviews that have been done on convection ovens for trailering? Not combo ovens, but pure convection? We are looking for a way of baking while on the road, and it seems that the convection oven might be the way to go. In other words, is there one that will bake a chocolate cake reasonably well?

I have turned up some reviews on the web. They are all over the place, but from what I have seen, it seems that maybe the Cuisinart TOB175BC looks good.

Any ideas?

Art

When we get the oven, then I will investigate the trailer foods section of this forum. I've been pointedly ignoring it until now because I think it might be far, far too easy to pig out.
Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Have you checked out this page?

Convection Oven Reviews

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:30 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
We have a couple of countertop convection ovens and both bake well. Both are quite light (especially compared to a microwave), but bulky. Neither is any good as a toaster. One has a rotisserie, which works well... but that one (<strike>I'll have to check the brand</strike> Farberware brand) makes strange and annoying buzzing noises (presumably from the convection fan) and does not seem well built.

I would want any of these things to be able to fit a common 12" diameter pizza. They cook pizza well, and it's convenient.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
This is what we have. Great toaster and very good oven.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7811741
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Boy Mike, did you mess up, say DUTCH OVENS 10 times real fast . Last time out Karen made a double chocolate cake in a crock pot,I heard no complaints from the 6 couples we were with and there were no leftovers
Oh yeah, and another lady baked rolls in a Cobb, wer'nt any of them left either
Old 12-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Boy Mike, did you mess up, say DUTCH OVENS 10 times real fast . Last time out Karen made a double chocolate cake in a crock pot,I heard no complaints from the 6 couples we were with and there were no leftovers
Oh yeah, and another lady baked rolls in a Cobb, wer'nt any of them left either
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
This Hamilton Beach unit is one we have used in the house for a couple of years. It is not small, but since we got it we almost never turn on the full sized oven in the house. A few friends and family have gone out and gotten the same unit after seeing how we use ours at get togethers.

For camping use it's only downside is size - it is more than twice the size of typical toaster ovens.

(It can do 2 12" pizza's at the same time!)

-Kyle
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:17 AM   #8

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
Thanks to all for the info.

We wound up buying a Kitchen Aid countertop. It is sorta' like a range oven only scaled down for the countertop. We will use it as a second oven at home and throw it in the van for camping, breaking it out when we need it. It is not as small as some of the others, but looks to be better made. It does not have a fan, so is not really a convection oven.

There is also a more expensive, but interesting, oven by Cuisinart that has bricks inside and is made specially (it appears) for baking pizzas.

We have used our Kitchen Aid several times now and it seems to do the job pretty well. Apparently the temp is a bit higher than in our conventional oven, but with a small amount of tuning it should dow well. Time and the road will tell.

Best,

Art
Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote