Converter Woes Number "Dos" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

I had written about our Converter going out on our Scamp in March: [The converter was shot After doing some checking using advise from you guys and from my son (if only he lived nearer) it all pointed to being shot. But hoping something small could be done, I took the Scamp into a dealship service center and had them check it out ($48) and they confirmed it was shot.

I had called Scamp in MN and a new converter is $160 and $59 for a mother board, which is all they said I might need. I looked on some web sites you guys had given but was NOT sure what I was looking for. Therefore, I looked up American Enterprises Converters and found a site. I could have order just a mother board but just in case, I wanted to get it all new, so I have placed an order for a new converter.

They are in Canoga Park, CA. I should have just order one and saved the $48.

Thanks for the replys and advise. Here is the web address if any Scamps need a new converter (hope not):

http://americandirect.ibuilder.com/d...ategoryID=1096

CS2000XL 20 amp Power Converter This unit replaces the American CS1200XL and the Centurion CS2000. MAIN PC BOARD ALSO AVAILABLE- PLEASE CALL!
Price: $95.00/ea. ]

UPDATE: While camping out in our son's driveway plugged into ac electric, the converter stopped working again. This time my son who is an Air Force Tech who keeps generators and such working for the USAF was able to do some testing and looking. After finally getting in contact with the Technical Support, he was able to see what was wrong (not wanting to mess up the warranty before taling to the technical support guy). After explaining and getting the tech's advise, he found the cause of the problem. Two loose screws that we found when we opened the converter door. Therefore, on Friday, July 3, 2008 talking with Carlos. My son found that the two loose screws were to the heatsync and it had broken free from the circuit board. Carlos advised me to mail the circuit board to American Enterprises, Inc 64433 Topanga Canyon Blvd,Canoga Park, CA 91303 marked with Attention Carlos. I was able to get the circuit board into the mail also on July 3, 2008. He assured me he would get a new circuit board to me as soon as he recieved the old one. The screws should not have came out. I hope this will end the saga of the shot Concerters.

Attached is a photo of the circuit board in the converter before checking it out, the heatsync can be seen at an angle in the photo.

AW
Attached Thumbnails
0703081538_2_.JPG  
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
"RV quality" is an oxymoron, Adrian. How's that for cynical? I hope this doesn't end up costing you much. I guess you are talking about the screws on the left holding the circuit board. Do you mean heat sink?
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Heat Snycs are very important......Your son knows his stuff. Let us know how the new one works out.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #4

Quote:
"RV quality" is an oxymoron, Adrian. How's that for cynical? I hope this doesn't end up costing you much. I guess you are talking about the screws on the left holding the circuit board. Do you mean heat sink?
Someone once said, "A boat is a hole in the water where you thow your money." At times these converters seems to be a hole under the seat where we thow our money. I am hoping Carlos' word is good and we get a new board back in the mail with a schematic (sp?), one that I can follow. I will not have my son there to do the job for me. I did watch, but can I remember is the question. Ha! At times such as this, RV quality is questioned and I must agree. But quality in our world seems to be a thing of the past. Maybe I am being too cynical, things made by man will break and fail. It is life.

No, the screws are not those on the left holding the circuit board, but the ones which hold the Heat Sync onto the board (there are two H-Ss, the aluminum deals the "fins"). With the screws missing, their connecting prongs pulled loose from the board breaking the solder points. The screws holding the circuit board were good. The circuit board was on secularly, the lower heat sync was loose. It is the lower shinny aluminum thing in the photo.

I asked my son about the spelling, he went with Sync. ?

"Heat Snycs are very important......Your son knows his stuff. Let us know how the new one works out.
Joe" They seem to be. Yes, he seems to know his stuff really well. Thanks for saying so. I'll report back on the saga.

AW
Attached Thumbnails
0703081538_2_.JPG  
Old 07-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Heat Sync: The fins on your lawnmower are a heat sync. Knock them off and you would burn up the motor.

The heat sync on solid state electronic devices cool the sensitive solid state components and should the sync be defective, inoperable or not adequate, the electronics will fry.

Many of these converters (If not all) have a fan to move air over the sync so be sure to check from time to time to insure the fan is working. Some fans come on and remain on all the time and others only come on when the unit reaches a predetermined Temp.

Should your egg get to hot inside while the converter is on, it has the possibility of exceeding the ability of your converter to cool itself properly.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #6

Registry
FWIW my Webster's Dictionary defines heat sink as a part of a system designed to be at a lower temperature than its surroundings and used to dissipate heat from that system. If I Google heat sync, some of the hits say, "see heat sink".

I have no idea what "heat sync" is or when it came along. I'm fairly certain there was no "heat sync" when I was a young man. OTOH, heat sink goes back to the beginning of radio and electronics, definitely before my time.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:39 AM   #7

Registry
Here's a HeatSync complete with patent from the home theater world. Pretty interesting! BTW, we don't have a home theater. I guess this wouldn't be the first time a patent name becomes a replacement for the more general name, like "fridge" for refrigerator.

http://atechfabrication.com/products/heatsync_6000.htm

In a few days we leave for WA and OR to take in the Oregon Gathering. It will be our fourth OG, first time with "Beastie". Our old Casita will also be there with its new owner. Can't wait!
Old 07-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #8

Unhappy

Quote:
FWIW my Webster's Dictionary defines heat sink as a part of a system designed to be at a lower temperature than its surroundings and used to dissipate heat from that system. If I Google heat sync, some of the hits say, "see heat sink".

I have no idea what "heat sync" is or when it came along. I'm fairly certain there was no "heat sync" when I was a young man. OTOH, heat sink goes back to the beginning of radio and electronics, definitely before my time.

BobB is right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heatsink However one spells the thing, it is messed up and the ____ converter will still not work.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Heat Sink is correct. Sync is short for synchronize, i.e. synchronize your watches. I'm not sure how you would synchronize your the heat generated by an electronic device.

Back on topic. I've heard this not an entirely uncommon problem with American Enterprises converters.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Heat Sink is correct. Sync is short for synchronize, i.e. synchronize your watches. I'm not sure how you would synchronize your the heat generated by an electronic device.

Back on topic. I've heard this not an entirely uncommon problem with American Enterprises converters.
Byron is right. When talking about electronics it is heat sink which is the opposite of heat source. Current sink or current source is also a term used in electronics.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #11

Carlos called, Wednesday I believe, said he had recieved the circuit board & had not seen one break in that way before. He said he would have a new one on the way shortly. We are still in ND. But I just had him send the unit to NM, not sure how long it would take for them to get it on it's way, nor how long we would be here.

AW
Old 07-13-2008, 12:14 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Adrian... Didn't the infamous Capt. Murphy of "Murphys Law" fly for the USAF??? At least your woes are on/in the ground!!! Have a safe trip south.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #13

Name: Pete
Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SD
Utah
Heat sink breaks loose from circuit board - 2nd time for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post

After explaining and getting the tech's advise, he found the cause of the problem. Two loose screws that we found when we opened the converter door. Therefore, on Friday, July 3, 2008 talking with Carlos. My son found that the two loose screws were to the heatsync and it had broken free from the circuit board. Carlos advised me to mail the circuit board to American Enterprises, Inc 64433 Topanga Canyon Blvd,Canoga Park, CA 91303 marked with Attention Carlos.

AW
The CS-2000XL converter I have on my Scamp has failed twice now - both times from the HEAT SINK breaking loose from the circuit board and causing a short of the whole system. This is a VERY common problem from what I can tell - there is no vibration damping on the converter and any amount of rough road can be enough to cause the thing to break. Has anyone found a more permanent solution to this problem?
UtahPete is offline   Reply With Quote