convincing the better half - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
convincing the better half

Sometimes she's a little hesitant to listen to me, then other times she flat out says absolutely no, no way, never ever, NEVER! This is one of those times.
She doesn't like to camp in any way shape or form. Got it.
But the other day she mentioned about returning to Ohio for an open house next June. She said it. SCAMP! It was under her breath, but she said it. Sure, it was in a negative way like, I'm not talking about trying to Scamp it, but she still said it. Then she said it again later. Twice in one day!

The seed has been planted and I can't wait until it grows into a little Scamp in front of the house! Ok, it's going to be 16' with a side bath. Not exactly little.

When she finally knows it's not going away, she will make it our second home! She will love it. She's just a little hesitant at times...

I'm sure there are other couples out there who have faced the same challenge....let me hear your story!
Chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Comfy bed, your own shower (and toilet). What's not to like?

It's not really "camping." It's just changing the backyard scenery every now and then.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My wife came allong on the last 12hr adventure to buy a scrap trailer, Humpty Dumpty. It was kinda like a date. I am such a lucky man!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #4

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
OK i know what i'm gonna share is polar opposite of your "Hesitant" wife's take on this "Camping" thingy...but...

My wife LOVES to actually live full time in our RV-Home.
She loves that everything has a place and there is a place for everything (that we truly need)
She loves the comfy bet that is as nice as any 5 star hotel's
She loves that no mater where we are, we know exactly who's slept in the bed and how fresh & clean it is.
She loves that if we get tired of our surroundings (currently a golf course on the oregon coast) we can up and move.

Give yours some time and a few adventures and she might just love it too

Happy (future) trails,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I strolled out to the back yard where the Old Bag was rocking the lawn swing, while sipping a glass of wine, and said, "I think we should buy an Escape".
And, she said, "OK".

Which left me to argue with myself.

baglo
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Well I didn't convice her the first time around.
It would have been about 1973-4. We were driving a
almost new VW Beetle. A guy bought a 1/2 dozen or so
Bolers and set up shop on a vacant lot on the north end
of second ave in Saskatoon, SK. our home town.
We stopped in to "look" i liked them right off,,Marilyn not so much.
Too small was the major complaint. I drulled over them for a while
then forgot about 'em.
30 YEARS LATER,,
We were driving our old hotrod/classic car to carshows and every so often there would be a Boler or Trill, glass trailer of some sort painted up to match the car or personalized in some way.
We had also been doing some tenting holidays and had been caught in the rain too much,,or maybe just enough!
Anyway it was an easy sell to find a Boler, and pull it with our classic on holidays.
Now retired we spend quite a bit of time in SoCal in the winter and our home is our "TOO SMALL" Boler.
Wave if you see this combo on the road, headed out Jan 1(thats the goal anyway)
Fred&Marilyn

PS,,,,I looked at that picture and realized it was taken in 2004. Since that pic that trailer has beem down to Calif. twice, the west coast twice and to ST Johns, Newfoundland!! TOO SMALL is just big enough!
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 627.jpg  
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
With a wife ,4 daughters,and 7 grand daughters I am convinced that the word "NO" is the first word they learn and the most popular word in their vocabulary. Yet I've still managed to accomplish a lot of really dumb things
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
With a wife ,4 daughters,and 7 grand daughters I am convinced that the word "NO" is the first word they learn and the most popular word in their vocabulary. Yet I've still managed to accomplish a lot of really dumb things
On the bright side you might be dead without having all tose NOS aaround!! Doubt I would ahve survivied this long without Mar!!
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Thats why you have the trailer to get away from all the Naysayers and you can't take them all at once thus limiting the exposure.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Bill
Just mention to DW that you will be going by a lot more of outlet malls with purse and shoe stores while traveling in the Scamp. You will have to stop at one once and a while to keep her happy.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #11

Name: Hillary
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Washington
Hah, I was the one who wanted a trailer!! I HATE tent camping, not the actual part after you're there and set up, but all the damn planning, packing, setup and takedown it requires... The trailer has solved all those issues, plus it means when I need to pee in the middle of the night I don't have to put on warm clothing and only need to walk a few feet! The only things I need to pack anymore are food and clothes, everything else lives in the trailer.
I guess what I'm saying is she might hate "camping" but totally love camping/scamping/glamping/escaping with a trailer!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #12

Nevada
I knew I would find hope on this forum! She always says No right off the bat. But you've given me hope that she will be won over, especially with her own bathroom, bed and not have to do all that packing and unpacking.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #13

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
One other thing i'll add as a positive note to getting a rig... you might find yourself using it often for short mini-adventures because it will be so easy to get out the driveway.

We keep our van (the tow vehicle) packed all the time with about ~2 weeks worth of provisions, ready to hook up to the trailer (also packed with ~2 weeks worth of provisions).

Keep your rig ready to go and you will look back on many times when one of you says to the other over breakfast; "Let's get out of here after work today! We've got the next couple days off.". COMPLIANCE. Get down the road a few miles to a river, beach, or mountain all alone and recharge. It makes "Mondays" way easier!! We will regularly take 3 to 5 day adventures now that we have a ready-rig and there is no longer any camp-setup to speak of.

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #14

Name: Rosemary
Pennsylvania
Try another tactic. Don't mention "camping". Describe it as a touring vehicle, like having your own motel room on wheels. As others mentioned, talk about the comfy bed, private bath, built-in kitchen. One phrase I like is that "you don't have to decide between having a mountain cabin or a beachside cabana, you can have either by just moving it there". Lots of opportunities for seeing the sights and great scenery right outside your windows.

Rosemary
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Camping = stinky clothes, dirt, lots of work cooking/cleaning

Having your own rollin home = clean bed (always), clean, dry clothes, bathroom (maybe) steps away and you don't worry about the toilet seat! Cooking, eating the foods that suit you. Neighbors who want to talk to you, etc.,etc., etc.

And every single time, if you so choose, the view is different...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I don't know your travel style, but having a small trailer makes long trips much nicer. The general rule at rest stops seems to be, if you can leave, then you can stay, but if your are not mobile, then you gotta go. Basically just don't set up. With a small trailer, you can just pull over and sleep in what amounts to an exclusive, small camp ground.

Some have very nice washrooms and such. We have pulled over in the middle of the night and woke up in some magical places. Very convenient, and much less expensive then a hotel.

Staying with relatives is also way better when you have your own space to retreat to.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #17

Nevada
I like the way you people think! Being able to change our scenery at a moments notice...that's freedom. But to do it with all the comforts of home, what more could we ask for? The next few years might turn out to be the best few years. Can't wait!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We were driving coast to coast on our honeymoon and the idea of "Lets Take a Year long Vacation" came up. When we got back we bought our first RV, an Airstream and 7 months later started an 11 month, 27,000 mile adventure that landed us in VA where we started our family as well as a string of different RV's over the next 24 years.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Staying with relatives is also way better when you have your own space to retreat to.
Truer words have never been spoken!
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #20

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Bill,
I'm the DW who convinced my DH to get a trailer and we both now love it. Many women, and men, like to personalize their trailer in the decor department thereby elevating the camping experience to "glamping" (glamorous camping). My photos show my autumn theme inside and out. With a little imagination you can create a cozy and fun environment.
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 030.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 031.jpg  

Doug's art and Scamp 026.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 028.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin