cooking using inside or outside stove? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #21
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
One reason I wanted a trailer was so I wouldn't have to fight the wind while trying to cook outside on our Coleman stove. Of course we grill from time to time, but most of our meals involve some kind of cooking indoors. I admit I enjoy camping with my sister and her outdoor Coleman stove - she tent camps - but I wouldn't want to haul the extra stove and fuel canisters to be able to occasionally prep meals outside. YMMV, of course.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Dishes??? What about paper plates???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Yes, but I always get stuck with the dishes.

CindyL
Old 06-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Sounds like lots of folks cook outdoors-
I do carry a tabletop BBQ that I use if we can't have a campfire...
I installed a tee like this one between my trailer tank and regulator so I don't have to carry a tank for the BBQ.
Of course, the 12-foot hose needs an extension if you're trying to BBQ on the picnic table...

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #24

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I just ordered a 1,500 watt induction hot plate. I am planning on using it at home, but also taking it in the Scamp. The main reason would be for cooking outside when it is too darn hot to cook inside. Induction heating is very efficient, fast, safe(er), and I still get to use my cast iron! I got a great deal over at newegg.com... they have it on sale, then had a daily deal that brought it down from $99 to $59 with free shipping! UPS should be dropping it off on Monday... I'll report back as to how it works. I've heard good and bad reviews about this model, but the bad reviews were mostly about a whining sound when using thin stainless pans. No noise with heavier pans (like cast iron).
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #25

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
When we first got the trailer,I cooked inside. After we got the Coleman,hubby cooks outside. I prefer the latter arrangement.
Quote:
Yes, but I always get stuck with the dishes.
I'd call that a fair trade. I would much rather do dishes than cook.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #26

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I have a sinkful back at the camper waiting. We are in the hospital waiting for birth of grandchild. Another us of these great trailers - not imposing on children and their new baby.
CindyL

Hubby cooks in our screenhouse that we use like an asking, so we can trade plates through the door with a minimum of wet. We usually eat in the screenhouse, even when raining.
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
We are in the hospital waiting for birth of grandchild.g.

Lucky, lucky you!
Congratulations, and I hope all is going well.

Francesca
Old 06-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #28

Registry
Now it is. Soon...

We figure when she is old enough, she will get a kick out of the canvas hammock bunkbed of our VT. That ought to be kind of fun.

CindyL
Old 06-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #29

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
It will be interesting to see how my husband does while baching it while he's working in N. Dakota. It's hard to make a TV dinner on a coleman camp stove. I am waiting for the first time he takes a shower in the camper when he's camped out in the parking lot of the office. He'll be able to do get 2 of the 3 S's done at one time.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #30

Registry

When he goes to the Burger King drive-thru after work, will it count as his having "cooked outside"?

But don't keep us in suspense...!
?Are you a Grandma yet?

(or is it again?)

Francesca
Old 06-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #31

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
When I'm on the road between camping locations I always use the inside stove for a quick, hot meal. When camping I like to use the BBQ for the evening meal unless it's raining and then I use the inside stove. I usually have a cold breakfast but if I cook, pancakes for instance, it's always inside. I wouldn't like to restrict myself to always having to cook outside. I spend 3-4 days each week camping in the summer and the weather doesn't always cooperate.
I camped this weekend at Mactaquac Provincial Park near Fredericton, NB, in the unserviced tent section, and it was 45 degrees in the morning. The tenters were bundled in coats while they cooked breakfast; not my idea of fun camping. I was inside, with the furnace on, and using my stove to make coffee. Ahhh.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #32

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
When I'm on the road between camping locations I always use the inside stove for a quick, hot meal. When camping I like to use the BBQ for the evening meal unless it's raining and then I use the inside stove. I usually have a cold breakfast but if I cook, pancakes for instance, it's always inside. I wouldn't like to restrict myself to always having to cook outside. I spend 3-4 days each week camping in the summer and the weather doesn't always cooperate.
I camped this weekend at Mactaquac Provincial Park near Fredericton, NB, in the unserviced tent section, and it was 45 degrees in the morning. The tenters were bundled in coats while they cooked breakfast; not my idea of fun camping. I was inside, with the furnace on, and using my stove to make coffee. Ahhh.
Barrie
When I bought my Scamp I did a lot of looking and thinking about what I wanted and what I didn't want. I looked at Motor Homes, stickies, and tear drops before settling on the Scamp with the options I have.
The tear drops were pretty close, I kind of drooled after them many years ago. What drove to any RV is the first place from a tent (backpacking tent) was 1. When at group events I was getting tired of getting dressed laying on my back. 2. I wanted to extend the season to year around. 3. The tear drop lost out because you had to go outside to cook.

There is of course some people that will pull into a camping spot and spend 4 to 5 hours getting all the stuff out, spend one night then spend another 5 to 6 hours putting it all back in, then leave. I suppose for those cooking and eating outside are part of their preferred camping experience. As for us we set up in about 10 minutes, take a walk around the neighborhood and see who and what's around. Then relax and watch the world go by. Sometimes you get to see some pretty cool things that wouldn't see if you spend all your time dragging stuff out and back in. In our case meals are very simple.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #33

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We spent some time with our Ventura in northern Manitoba recently. We set up camp including a square canopy/shelter that can be beefed up with canvas sidewalls or bug screens. We woke on the Monday morning to heavy wet snow and a bitter wind coming off the ice that was still on the lake. Put up the canopy sidewalls and cooked outside on the picnic table. Set up the dinette inside (for the first time in several years of trailer camping). We were comfortable with the electric heater going - spent the day going out for a while and then in for a while - the next day dawned sunny and warm!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #34

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Thanks for all the feedback.
Now, just to be clear;
I'm no stranger to cooking and eating outside in any weather yet, I have a portable butane and another electric stove (both single burner) so, if I really need to cook inside, I still can and on a rare occasion do. I just do it so rarely that having a permanent kitchen inside feels like a waste of space for our use.
Attached Thumbnails
Img2003-11-07_16-09-26.jpg  
Old 06-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #35

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut
Now, just to be clear;
I'm no stranger to cooking and eating outside in any weather yet, I have a portable butane and another electric stove (both single burner) so, if I really need to cook inside, I still can and on a rare occasion do. I just do it so rarely that having a permanent kitchen inside feels like a waste of space for our use.
Andrew, I find the indoor stove to be pretty convenient in the morning. My wife and I need our coffee. However, when we are "hooked up", I usually boil the water in an electric kettle and pour it over the Melitta. We like to make pancakes or eggs for breakfast, and I like to eat before venturing out for morning. Having said that, I really dislike the amount of counter space that is taken up by the stove top. I would like to replace it with one of the more European stoves that is recessed and has a glass cover that makes it flush with the countertop. I would do the same with the sink, too.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
Now, just to be clear;
Br-r-r-r-r-r-r-r
I guess that picture clears up any confusion as to the "nut" part of your name!

You're a better man than I am, "Andrew Din"

Francesca
Old 06-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #37

Registry
Talking

Francesca and anyone else interested,
Baby Lily Abigail was born at 2:39 AM this morning. I will post pix in a thread later. All are healthy and happy.
CindyL
Old 06-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #38

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL
Baby Lily Abigail was born at 2:39 AM this morning. I will post pix in a thread later. All are healthy and happy.
CindyL
Congrats!
Old 06-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
CindyL
Cindy!

"Lily Abigail"- what a beautiful name!
I remember well the day each of my grandkids was born- how thrilled you must be...
How about honoring your new family member by starting a "Camping with Kids" thread?
It's something we (currently) lack, and I can't think of a more appropriate opener than pics of your new little angel-
Of course, along with Kid Tips, we all get to post our own pictures of the most beautiful children in the world.
Which mine are, I state here for all to see.

Francesca
Old 06-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #40

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
CindyL

Congrats and, when are you taking her trailer camping?