Coola Boola - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
I knew that would get your attention! I am thinking hard about leaving for Alaska a bit early and going to Bella Coola on my way. 240 miles in and 240 miles out... yes, lots of dirt winding road but... I love adventure, don't you?

any comments from the great white?

PS, yes Google is my friend.. I know.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
I just googled it - and Bella Coola sounds coola!
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Ron,
Not from the great white...
If I had the time, I'd go. I envy you. From what I've heard, and photos I've seen, beautiful. I'm sure BC friends will chime in. You can take your time, and Alaska will still be there when you get there. Drive carefully, (and slowly)...
Looking forward to your photo series.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I've done the Alaska trip, but was well aware that I was passing by a lot of good places to see and be in BC. In fact, I went back the next Summer and spent six weeks touring Vancouver Island. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Province!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
Let us know how "THE HILL' is to travel on.....
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 5500
Chilcotin plateau is beautiful country. i'd recommend the trip if you have the time.
Another option for getting there and doing your drive across the plateau would be to go up vancouver island to port hardy, take the ferry up to Bella Coola (its a spectacular ride up), drive from bella coola across to williams lake on then north to alaska.
Janice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Chilcotin plateau is beautiful country. i'd recommend the trip if you have the time.
Another option for getting there and doing your drive across the plateau would be to go up vancouver island to port hardy, take the ferry up to Bella Coola (its a spectacular ride up), drive from bella coola across to williams lake on then north to alaska.
My first trip was driving the island to Port Hardy and then taking a 15 hour non stop ferry trip to Prince Rupert. That was the most beautiful ride of my life and I have been to a lot of places in North America. We went right by the inlet to bella coola and If I remember right we also went by a native village somewhere called "bella bella" LOL
Old 04-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Yep, Bella Bella is on the route. I sailed up that way a few years ago and the ferry passed us numerous times (as it goes much faster than we did!). We stopped for a couple of says in Bella Bella to make some repairs, and I spent a birthday in the anchorage there

The ferry at that time was the beautiful "Queen of the North" (R.I.P.). I was very sad to read of its sinking a couple of years ago.

I was hoping they were still running that route and wondering what the new boat looks like. It was a great trip by boat, but I wouldn't mind doing it by car/egg either, especially with the leg from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert on the ferry.

Queen of the North passing us one afternoon:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Queen_of_t_North.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	19708
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
I was in Prince Rupert for a game of golf on Thursday and the new Northern Expedition which will do the run from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert was tied up at the cruise ship dock. You wouldn't be able to tell it from one of the large Alaska cruise ships. It looks amazing. I believe it is undegoing sea trials right now and will be put into service late May.
[/quote]
Ellen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I'm glad the route didn't end when QotN sank, but I'll miss that boat. I loved that it looked like a boat and not a stadium. I'm sorry I didn't ever sail on it (nearly took it south from Prince Rupert but then decided to stay on the trip I was on).

I hadn't paid attention to whether the service has been out ever since the Queen sank, or whether it's been running with another boat and they are just choosing to replace that boat with the new one.

R.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #11

Quote:
I'm glad the route didn't end when QotN sank, but I'll miss that boat. I loved that it looked like a boat and not a stadium. I'm sorry I didn't ever sail on it (nearly took it south from Prince Rupert but then decided to stay on the trip I was on).

I hadn't paid attention to whether the service has been out ever since the Queen sank, or whether it's been running with another boat and they are just choosing to replace that boat with the new one.

R.
OMG!
It sank in 06 and I took it from Hardy to Ruperrt in 05! Wow! All those RVs sitting in the deep now feeding crabs... I think crabs are supposed to have a fondness for Winnebagos.
And the ferry that took me to Vancouver Island crashed into the dock a week later.

I am either blessed or jinxed.. I don't know which.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 73 Boler
if you plan to make the trip, just make sure your breaks are in SUPERB working order. The decent into bella coola is probably one of the worst grades in the country with some crazy switch backs, and all on a dirt road to boot (way back in the day, the ministry of transportation wouldn't put in a road because it was too steep, so the locals got together and dug one in!). People I know have done it and said it is doable, but make sure your tow rig is in good working order. I used to work around that area and it really can't be beat for the scenery, it is definitely worth the detour!
Steveo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #13

Animation of bella coola road. Give you a feeling as to what I it is like.

http://ronsalaska.blogspot.com/