Cortes Camper Spotted! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-28-2022, 09:27 AM   #1

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Cortes Camper Spotted!

Hi All,

I know the new Cortes Camper has been discussed on the forum. LOL, Laura, my wife, spotted a new Cortes in the Walmart parking lot here in Bowling Green. I was out running errands, so I decided to check it out. It was being delivered from the plant in Ohio to its new home in Louisiana. The delivery driver was about to leave when I arrived, but he let me take a few pictures. Sharp camper.

Take care,

Dean
Attached Thumbnails
B4BDBBA5-6D01-4287-98BD-7108B6D7AFE8.jpg   899A9863-DFF2-4947-A7F3-88114ABD8FE1.jpg  

9543BBDD-CD5A-40E3-9B7B-83E071EE71F3.jpg   9A667FB6-1BD5-4B5A-84EB-CE7A3ACFC41D.jpg  

468DB3F4-0759-4CF2-8E3A-40B630C68BFE.jpg  
Old 09-28-2022, 07:37 PM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Looks like a high class Casita. Nice unit.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:43 PM   #3

Name: Joel
Trailer: Casita SD
Texas
Not a fan of plastic windows.
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:22 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
LA
The Cortes website still show's their trailers with an all aluminum frame with an extra long tongue with deck plate similar to an Oliver, looks like they are saving money with a basic utility trailer style steel frame on the production units.

Looks like a few windows are gone.

Although it looks nice, they really need to make a unit a little longer than the Casita, their website shows future models stating with a 22', perhaps a 19-20 foot would fill the gap between a Casita and an Oliver.
daveandalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:33 AM   #5

Name: Alek
West Michigan
I really like their cabinet and galley setup, but boy the photos on the site of the bathroom looks like a 9 year old caulked all the seams.
AlekP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:40 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Doesn't do much for me. Not a fan of tilt out windows. And, no window in the toilet/bathroom?
Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:45 AM   #7

LA
It looks like it ended up at this dealer near Baton Rouge La.
You can look at real pictures, not a bad price.

millersrv.com
Old 09-29-2022, 06:55 AM   #8

LA
I'm not sure if there's a bathroom door, this listing for one in Texas shows simply a shower curtain for the bathroom door???

https://outbackrvtx.com/inventory/tr...08e3f2350bc12/
Old 09-29-2022, 07:04 AM   #9

Name: Shelby
Tennessee
The interior is attractive and the bath lay out seems a good use of space. Huge tank capacities. When we get over this Covid economy and RV dealers are back to 30% discounts, the price might be competitive if it's truly a double hull. The horrible decal on the front should be an easy removal.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:07 AM   #10

LA
It's interesting that apparently each reseller sets their own pricing, if you look at RV Trader and look at different units you'll see the prices vary from $38,500 to $59,500.

https://www.rvtrader.com/Cortes-Camp...rs%7C765343395
Old 09-29-2022, 12:51 PM   #11

Name: CalCop
California
Not so much impressed.
Just a clone of a casita. I’d much rather deal with a company that has a proven track record.
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCop View Post
Not so much impressed.
Just a clone of a casita. I’d much rather deal with a company that has a proven track record.
Looks like they took a casita 17 then added the ridges on the top
front and back, then pulled a mold. I bet the Casita lawyers are rubbing their hands together.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:10 PM   #13

Name: CalCop
California
I recall seeing a video they published of when they pulled the mold. During that video I seem to recall someone mentioning making a copy of a Casita or something to that effect
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:06 AM   #14

LA
A few thoughts/ observations on the Cortes:

It looks like they switched from the advertised robust aluminum frame to a standard bolt together BAL Products steel frame with a shorter tongue ( understandable, try keeping qualified highly paid aluminum welders on staff)

The leveling jacks are nice.

They should incorporate a BAL Products under carriage spare tire carrier, some versions have the tire mounted to a bumper bracket, some to the body, and the latest to a frame mounted bracket behind the bumper.

The Timbren axle/ suspension system is nice but typically used on off road trailers with robust frames.

It needs one or two small access doors on the outside to store items under the bed such as the power cord, sewer fittings, etc.

I've never seen a trailer with tank heaters and a fully exposed undercarriage, I guess they can't hurt but would be concerned camping in Minnesota during the winter.

They got rid of that cheapo water heater in the closet and now use a nice Suburban model mounted under the sink.

I wonder what kind of television antenna is used, you won't be able to hide cables under carpet like in a Casita if you install one.

The Propex heater system is incredible (if the system is installed properly).

The fridge, stove, sink look very nice. I assume the vent hood doesn't vent to the outside of trailer.

Some units have a bathroom door and others have only a curtain.

The dual batteries on the tongue are nice, but I would guess those that will surely install LiFePo4 batteries won't want them on display up there.

The battery shut off switch is located on the tongue exposed to the elements but the stereo is inside mounted in a waterproof marine enclosure in case you decide to hose down the interior (like those kids in the Subaru commercial)

The dinette with one seat has me puzzled.

The industrial looking white floor with the raised dimples is a challenge to clean, (we used those in mobile laboratories and they could only be cleaned with a scrub brush and waterhose, a mop simply passes over the high spots, I prefer the smooth laminates.

The earlier versions shown on their brochure have some nice looking cabinet doors similar to the Oliver trailers, now they are the off the shelf marine hatches with dual latches.

The white model in their brochure has a window in the kitchen and a small one in the bathroom, they are both gone now. I can understand removing the one in the kitchen but the bathroom really needs one.

I just can't come to like that weird curved window on the door.

The power converter is also a Furrion, not familiar with it enough to see if it will handle the lithium batteries such as the Progressive Dynamics converters.

I don't see any red and amber marker lights on the exterior of the trailer, only two tail lights.

The license plate bolted to the bumper looks like an afterthought, it will surely get bent.

Not sure if a two pin "Zamp" style SAE DC port is included to plug in suitcase style solar panels.

A outside shower hatch is standard on most Rv's nowadays or at least an option, most people don't use them to shower, they wash the dog or do dishes with them.

Seeing this many changes among the models listed at various dealers is encouraging that they seem to be trying to perfect the trailer with the limited choices/ availability of supplies they can get their hands on. If and when they come up with a slightly longer trailer with a twin bed setup it will fill the gap between the Casita and Olivers.

They will surely need a few good regional service centers because most RV dealers won't do warranty work on brands they don't sell and most most won't touch brands that they carry but were purchased elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see an owners forum on these trailers and what mods the owners will perform such as a tongue mounted storage compartment, generator trays, rear mounted storage, solar panels, satellite antenna, larger tires, frame mounted receiver hitch, the first mod I would do would be to install the Hengs LED lights on the ceiling vent assembly.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:43 AM   #15

Name: Dean
Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

Interesting comments regarding the Cortes Camper. There is a lot to like and a few things to ponder besides the price. Requirements for Laura and I include a “permanent” bed, a place to sit independent of the bed, and a bathroom (this list assumes HVAC and hot water are givens). Our Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe checks all the boxes. I just don’t get the 1 person dinette in the Cortes.

I closely watch camper and truck prices. I am beginning to think our dream camper is the one that is already paid for and in our driveway!!! Yes, sooner or later, we will have to upgrade our tow vehicle, but the Casita is just fine for us for the next couple of years. Until then, I will continue to monitor camper and truck prices.

Take care,

Dean
Old 09-30-2022, 10:21 AM   #16

Name: Joel
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandalice View Post
The white model in their brochure has a window in the kitchen and a small one in the bathroom, they are both gone now. I can understand removing the one in the kitchen but the bathroom really needs one.

There doesn't appear to be a powered roof vent for the bathroom, either.
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:37 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I don't see any vents for a water heater, a furnace, or a fridge ?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 05:36 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
It would be better if the wheel wells were not just the same gel coat as the rest of the body. It needs wheel well liners and flares to keep flying gravel off the glass.

One of the first things I look for is: Can I open the tailgate while connected? This has the same old short tongue, coupler/jack fitting as so many other trailers. No attempt was made to move the jack back and at least put the motor sideways to maybe clear a tailgate. I wish they would have learned from Oliver or Xplore, or even Black Series.

The marine style hatches as cabinet doors puzzle me.

The batteries on the tongue is not a good plan for lithiums because they are not suited for cold weather. Lithiums should be standard equipment. Moving them to the inside would clear up room to move the bottles back and get the jack back to clear the tailgate.

It has zero counter area in the kitchen.

This unit still looks like a prototype with missing bath window, no Maxx Fan and no exterior storage doors, or heater vent.

It seems more like they are building a "me too" camper, rather than what they were claiming was a game changer. But the glass work sure looks nice.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:22 PM   #19

LA
The Propex heaters have metal duct hoses underneath the trailer for combustion air and exhaust.

the Furrion fridge is the new Danfoss DC compressor model, it doesn't drain the battery like our absorption fridges since there's no heating element, so no vents are needed.
Many RV'ers are swapping out their 3-way Dometics to these types of fridges, mainly the Norcold brand that has a model the same size as what's in a Casita, they cool down in a matter of minutes instead of hours, I have a portable Iceco model that will run for days on a small Jackery power supply.

The water heater vent is the small circular chrome device on the side behind the kitchen between the power inlet and tank drains.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:19 AM   #20

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
WOW! Very nice. It's above my paycheck. If I paid this much, I'd get a 19-foot Fiberglass.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote