Cortes Campers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2022, 08:28 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Cortes Campers

I just read the closed thread by Jim Babcock regarding Cortes Trailers. I have been following along on Cortes since their first announcement. I have to be honest I am not really that impressed with what I am seeing so far. I was expecting more than what appears to be a re-inventing of the wheel so to speak of a rebranded Casita trailer. The European style windows are nice but seems like Casita could do that too. Many other manufacturers are going with the Euro windows outside of the molded fiberglass world for a few years now and they are gaining in popularity. Same goes for the appliances and deep sink. Bathroom doesn't appear to be significantly different either. The The curb side 1 person dinette doesn't make sense for a 2 person camper. And the frame and blue gel coat is the only other things that look significantly different. I see their website says patent pending so I am hoping someone from Cortes, hopefully Jim Babcock, will chime in and clarify what exactly it is that is patent pending about the Cortes from a Casita. Not trying to knock Cortes so to speak but I just don't get it. I was expecting some real innovation differences. Is it just me or do you share my sentiments?
Old 04-24-2022, 10:02 AM   #2

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
So far the only interior information has been computer generated images. I haven't located anything that actually depicts in the interior in real life.
I agree the company simply cloned the shell from a Casita.
Time will tell, but so far I'm not moved to rush out and buy
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 02:11 PM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
There's a reason they close these threads. This won't end well. Maybe re-visit if a product is ever actually available.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 11:45 AM   #4

Name: Stephen
Tennessee
Reading through the lines

Assessing conventional accouterments is the wrong place to look. Actually, IF (and it is a big IF) the Cortez lives up to the subtleties in its description, the Cortes may carve out new ground: An unimproved road, a 12-month operational trailer. A factory Casita is a throw-away device that can't come close to that.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:20 AM   #5

Name: Joel
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Not trying to knock Cortes so to speak but I just don't get it. I was expecting some real innovation differences. Is it just me or do you share my sentiments?
No, it's not just you.

It struck me as being a wildly overpriced, very conventional piece of vaporware which might have eventually become a real product.

The most noteworthy aspect was the rugged screen door - very handy in bear country.
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:24 AM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: Cortes
Ohio
Hello,

As I am in the production area daily I can definitely say there are actual physical campers underway. When the production ready camper is done we will be updating the website and offering factory tours here in Cleveland Ohio. As with any new product in this day in age I understand the internet's instinct to cry "vaporware" but this is not the case. All I can say is wait and see the finished final product to render an opinion on it.

Updated pictures : https://www.cortescampers.com/blog
Jim B Cortes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:54 AM   #7

California
Hey Jim,
You have a major public image nightmare that should be addressed.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:46 AM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: Cortes
Ohio
Please Contact me

216-896-7000 ext 209
Jim B Cortes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:17 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B Cortes View Post
216-896-7000 ext 209
Who are you talking to?
Old 05-05-2022, 06:33 PM   #10

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Who are you talking to?
Think he's talking to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCop View Post
Hey Jim,
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:47 PM   #11

California
Any conversation to be had would be better served on the forum. I see no reason not to have all discussions in a public area.
Thanks for the offer, but no thanks.
One area I'd liked explained would be the obvious molding (copying) of a Casita trailer as being the foundation of this new and supposed better trailer.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:14 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was impressed. I thought the blue was pretty, and that the insides were in line with Oliver. They are calling them "4 season". It appears they are coming from the marine industry, which to me, does a little better job than the RV industry does. We have often shopped "marine" RV stuff vs "RV" stuff websites, and often gotten better quality and cheaper prices.

Well, I wish them a lot of luck! If they can produce a quality product at a fair price, i think they will do well. They are located in OH, so not overly close to the other fiberglass manufacturers.

https://www.cortescampers.com/

The website links to a short video on vimeo.

At the TX dealer, they will have a 2023 for $48,500. I wonder how that compares to current prices on the other manufacturers as I have looked at their websites in some time.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:54 PM   #13

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Nice not to have rivets. I like it. But isn't an Oliver close to the same price? Looking forward to seeing the finished product. For that much money, I'd look at Bigfoot or an Escape 5th wheel or Escape 21 foot.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 06:04 PM   #14

Name: Shelby
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCop View Post
Hey Jim,
Yep....
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 19-03-10 cortes killing aztecs - Google Search.jpg  
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 09:50 PM   #15

Name: Joel
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
Nice not to have rivets. I like it. But isn't an Oliver close to the same price?
Oliver's website says that their 2023 models start at $65,500 .

I assume that's for the small "Legacy Elite" model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
At the TX dealer, they will have a 2023 for $48,500. I wonder how that compares to current prices on the other manufacturers as I have looked at their websites in some time.
That would buy you almost two Casitas (the 17' Standard model is $25K)
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:17 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelInTexas View Post
Oliver's website says that their 2023 models start at $65,500 .
I assume that's for the small "Legacy Elite" model.

That would buy you almost two Casitas (the 17' Standard model is $25K)
I'm guessing the typical selling price of a 17D is around $30K or a little over now. So we're talking closer to 1-1/2 Casitas for a Cortes. There's been significant price inflation across all the molded manufacturers.

Of course all bets are off regarding the Cortes until they actually start selling them. Their target price seems to be aiming for a middle ground between Casita and Oliver. Whether they'll be able to meet that target given increasing costs for labor, materials, and components is a big question.

Who will buy this trailer, I wonder? From what I can see, Oliver sells very few of the smaller units. I wonder how Happier Camper is doing with their similar-sized new Traveler model, which starts at $68,950? It seems to be aimed at younger buyers and at trade-ups from the HC1. But younger buyers are going to be stretched with housing and transportation costs in the near term.

And all this as the RV market appears headed for a contraction. At the very least, their timing seems out of sync.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 12:51 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
There were some posts about some federal indictments a while ago. I think that was the PR that was referred to. I hadn't heard the disposition of that.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 12:54 PM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...cr-00491-0.pdf
Not sure if this guy is involved with Cortes still. The parent company is referred to.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 04:21 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
"Representatives" post here from time to time. When confronted with information about SEC charges against the parent company and their marketing schemes, they disappear.