Cortes Campers, new company? - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #121

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'm afraid I don't respect your authority to tell me what threads I'm welcome in. This forum is for discussion, for anyone with thoughts on the topic in question.

And no, it's pretty clear I don't approve of your corporate philosophy.

Sorry. I was coming in to make a quick edit of my post and unfortunately read your reply. I'll stay out now, but will also continue to disregard your thoughts on what threads I'm welcome in, and your campers.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:00 PM   #122

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I don't think the Cortes metaphor is in very good taste (and yes I get the Columbus reference, good one), but I will judge the camper on it's own merits. If you build a better mousetrap, that is a good thing.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:05 PM   #123
Commercial Member

Name: Paul
Trailer: Cortes
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
I don't think the Cortes metaphor is in very good taste (and yes I get the Columbus reference, good one), but I will judge the camper on it's own merits. If you build a better mousetrap, that is a good thing.

I get it. Could you PLEASE recommend a better Metaphor?

Thanx,
Paul
CortesCampersCEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:08 PM   #124
Commercial Member

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I'm afraid I don't respect your authority to tell me what threads I'm welcome in. This forum is for discussion, for anyone with thoughts on the topic in question.

And no, it's pretty clear I don't approve of your corporate philosophy.

Sorry. I was coming in to make a quick edit of my post and unfortunately read your reply. I'll stay out now, but will also continue to disregard your thoughts on what threads I'm welcome in, and your campers.
Zach, I do not mean to offend you. But you came on to this thread of accusing me of lying to everyone and you also accuse someone else of lying of who they are.

I told everyone exactly who I am. I have no reason to fake it.

I apologize if I have offended you. But in return please do not call me deceitful.

Additionally, I am not on here trying to sell campers or dealerships. I am only here looking for constructive criticism on how to better build a molded fiberglass camper. Additionally, I am on here to HELP anyone that has camper.

For example, if you want your camper to last virtually forever, you should lightly wet sand it and then paint it with top grade automotive clear. It will look much better and it will protect the gelcoat underneath. The gelcoat formulations from long ago are no match for what is out there today.

Thanx,
Paul
Old 02-05-2021, 04:42 PM   #125

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
$40,000.00 for a 14' trailer.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:45 PM   #126

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
As the owner of a vacuum infused molded fiberglass camper. I welcome anyone who can widen the field and bring consumers more choice. Any effort to get us out of the 60’s would be fine with me. I like the Tembren axleless idea and the integrated frame.

The pushback your getting here may be because so many camper manufacturers have not been very successful for the long term. Because the profit margin is low it keeps manufacturers from innovating. We have all seen companies go and come. Some never get off the drawing board. The Nest failed because it was terribly overpriced. Lil Snoozy because of poor management. Both are nice campers.

Lastly I don’t care what you call the company. Building a camper has nothing to do with a name. I do wonder why you would stir up the Woke crowd. Some are looking for a reason to get offended. If we go back in history far enough we were all slaves, masters and bloody conquerers.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #127
Commercial Member

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
$40,000.00 for a 14' trailer.
Hi Kenny,
Where do you see 14 foot camper listed for $40,000?

Thanx,
Paul
Old 02-05-2021, 05:14 PM   #128
Commercial Member

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
As the owner of a vacuum infused molded fiberglass camper. I welcome anyone who can widen the field and bring consumers more choice. Any effort to get us out of the 60’s would be fine with me. I like the Tembren axleless idea and the integrated frame.

The pushback your getting here may be because so many camper manufacturers have not been very successful for the long term. Because the profit margin is low it keeps manufacturers from innovating. We have all seen companies go and come. Some never get off the drawing board. The Nest failed because it was terribly overpriced. Lil Snoozy because of poor management. Both are nice campers.

Lastly I don’t care what you call the company. Building a camper has nothing to do with a name. I do wonder why you would stir up the Woke crowd. Some are looking for a reason to get offended. If we go back in history far enough we were all slaves, masters and bloody conquerers.
HI Charlie,
Thanks for the input. No one here is trying to wake up any crowd. I have no idea who the woke crowd is. I'm sorry to hear that many manufacturers have gone under. It's terrible when someone's dream fails. Our company is 100% debt free and does not need any financing to keep the doors open. It also doesn't need to sell x amount of units to keep the doors open. Our very simple plan is to build a line of campers with the absolute most modern materials and modern techniques. I was hoping to make a bunch of friends on this forum and hopefully get everyone here to give us constructive criticism on what they would like to see in a new camper. I have no plans to disparage our competitors. I will point out facts, but not intentionally disparage. I would also like to have a yearly get together here at our factory. We have plenty of space outside to have everyone bring their campers.

I get the impression that a good number of subscribers on here are very unhappy people, or they work for the competitors. I don't know. I personally have nothing bad to say about anyone or any competitor. Like I said previously, there is no way we could ever build all the campers for the entire industry. We only want the customers that appreciate all the little things we are doing to make a camper that is maintenance free and makes sure that you enjoy your time in it.
I was also hoping to have people tell me improvements they would like to see.

Also, I would love to know, why are there no generators in these units?

I would like to have one as standard equipment, but I'm guessing there is some good reason or law that we don't know about...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Paul
Old 02-05-2021, 05:43 PM   #129

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I do like the idea of an onboard generator but you'll have to design your own or adapt a small Honda or similar. Propane so it could be plumbed in. The Onan models that are used in motor homes are way too noisy for a small trailer. A big Lithium battery bank and lots of solar will be expected. Automotive grade wiring would be a plus. Auto grade wheel bearings and brakes (no worries for 100,000 miles) would be a dream but probably too much to ask for.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #130
Commercial Member

Ohio
Shelby,
Thank you for the input.
I can see no reason why a Yamaha or a Honda generator would not be big enough.

Thanx again,
Paul
Old 02-05-2021, 06:29 PM   #131

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Response to $14,000.00 for a 14 foot trailer , I agree as it would be to much for me and dear wife . Having said that there is a teardrop trailer , been in business for several years , so I have to assume they are selling . It is called the Hutte Hut selling for , hold your breath , $63,900.00 . Link here https://rvsupplyco.com/travel-traile...e-hut-trailer/ . There appears to be an army of folks out there with oodles of money to spend . Lee P S that is the base price if you want to deck it out with all the options that is an extra $10,000.00
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:27 PM   #132

Minnesota
Registry
Is there a functional difference between the standard fiberglass and aluminized fiberglass options, or is it just for aesthetics?
Old 02-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #133

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortesCampersCEO View Post
Shelby,
Thank you for the input.
I can see no reason why a Yamaha or a Honda generator would not be big enough.

Thanx again,
Paul
A 2200 watt should run most any one thing except possibly an air conditioner, as long as you don't try to run a hair dryer and microwave at the same time.

Having said that, I would prefer a good solar setup to a generator. But I would make it modular so it could be upgraded as technology improves, which happens rapidly in anything electronic. Who knows, we may be using solid-stage batteries soon.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:59 PM   #134

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
My friend has a 25 foot Bigfoot with an onboard generator . It is a nice four season trailer but it also weighs 5500 lbs or so. All this stuff makes for a trailer to heavy to pull with a small vehicle.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:01 AM   #135
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah, unfortunately and historically a lot of members are pretty harsh when it comes to something new. I prefer to applaud a new manufacturer and wish them the best. Anything new in the all-molded-towable offerings benefits us all because it often forces the current crop of manufacturers to up their game.
Everybody, Paul joined up at my invitation. I encouraged him to make himself available to answer the inevitable questions about his new brand, as Reace used to do for Escape Trailers, and Mike still does for Happier Campers. Surely we can all look forward to mutually beneficial discussions, now that we've been introduced.

As always, YMMV and "be nice!"
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:52 AM   #136

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Welcome aboard, Paul. I very much look forward to any innovations you might bring to the travel trailer industry. I am quite encouraged from what I have read already, and will look into it further as time allows. Many of the companies ideas are very good ones. Sure, not everyone will be able to afford your trailer, but there will be lots who are looking for new and better ideas that can though.

It was mentioned by Donna D. that one of the biggest negatives to existing moulded fibreglass trailers are the appliances and other sourced products, most are not that great in the quality department. I fully agree that this is an issue, especially for those of use who want to put many days of us into one. Better options means a higher price, but that is something I am good with if I can get what I want. You would have to watch that these upgrades do not drive the price too high though, but sure you are working with this is mind. I opted on my new trailer to not have some things installed, and added something better myself right away.

I will comment on the onboard generator. If you do go through with this, I would recommend that it be done only as an option, as though many in the south can use it for A/C when off the grid, even more folks would either have no use for it or just don't care to use it. I am one of the latter. A focus on a solar system that fits into the design of the trailer without big panels attached later, and a good battery storage system would be something I would much rather see myself. I opted to do the solar myself on my Escape 5.0TA in order to use semi-flexible panels attached to the surface of the shell, that are out of view yet work great, and maybe something similar as part of a build could be done.

All the best in your endeavour.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:23 PM   #137

Name: Levi
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I’m glad to see there interest in fiberglass camper market “ nothing like competitors to keep you humble .
rdteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:06 PM   #138

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:

We're also kicking around the idea of including a "lifetime warranty to the original owner" concept. Excluding appliances etc. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Quote:

there is a picture on our website that shows a cross section of a wall. Unlike Olive that has two separate chopper gun shells with an airgap and reflectix in between. Our inner and outer laminates are cored with polypropylene honeycomb that comes from a company called Carboncore.

What this means is that there is NO gap between our inner and outer layers. We use one inch on the sides and roof, but we use two inch honeycomb on the floor.

On our dual axle models we will use two inch everywhere.

I've yanked some of your statements out of context. I hope that that doesn't create any confusion.

Perhaps you can provide a quick description of what would go into hull repair after a so-called "accident". That may provide a level of comfort for a "lifetime" product, even if you chose to not offer lifetime warranty in the event of an "accident".

thanks,,,
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:49 PM   #139

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
That's a good point Alan. I have had to have major fiberglass body repairs to my trailers more than once. I have a super good marine repair shop for that. How will that work with these new space age materials?

Walt
Old 02-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #140

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I clicked on the site. A trailer like Donna's Post is shown. A list of trailer sizes is shown. I click on the 14' model I scanned the list of options, at the bottom of the page it lists price at $39,690.00 It didn't mention tax. I rounded the base price up to $40,000.00.
Plus tax?

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote