Cortes Campers, new company? - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2021, 04:00 PM   #141

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I looked at the site again $29,000 and Aluminumized was only $38,000. I would like one.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:23 PM   #142

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Originally Posted by CortesCampersCEO View Post

"there is a picture on our website that shows a cross section of a wall. Unlike Olive that has two separate chopper gun shells with an airgap and reflectix in between. Our inner and outer laminates are cored with polypropylene honeycomb that comes from a company called Carboncore.

What this means is that there is NO gap between our inner and outer layers. We use one inch on the sides and roof, but we use two inch honeycomb on the floor.

On our dual axle models we will use two inch everywhere."

There are certainly two sides to this advertising ploy. With four separate shells, you have a chance to run piping, ducting and wiring between the shells. It provides a place for protected tanks. It gives you a finished surface on the inside of the inner shell, and a finished surface on the outside of the outer shell. It means the inner and outer can be shaped differently to allow access between them, plus form cabinets, and storage compartments. The inside shape can be different than the outer shape. The tanks and plumbing are not exposed to freezing cold or mechanical damage by hanging down underneath. Heater ducts can run in that space to make the trailer suitable for very cold weather.

Implying that all chopper gun usage is inferior, is misleading. The resin to glass ratio, and overall thickness are huge factors in strength. And Oliver, for instance, uses hand laid cloth or roving in critical areas of higher stress. As well as glassing in aluminum backer plates in places like awning mounts, and rear structural areas, such as above the basement storage. The Oliver floor is not made out of wood. There is some plywood in the kitchen cabinet, but it is good for screwing on hinges and drawer runners, and it is not a rotting hazard.

I don't know what kind of frame Cortes is proposing, but Oliver has a beautiful aluminum frame that seems to be extremely strong and corrosion resistant. It works in conjunction with the strength of the hull to act sort of like a boat on a trailer, where two independent structures bolt together to become one much stronger structure.

I'm not saying that the Oliver method cannot be improved on, but any honest comparison between it and others should be accurately stated. There is a lot more to the story than simply using a new material and discounting Oliver because they use a chopper gun along with other methods.

When entering this website and implying that all other fiberglass trailers are inferior, you are bound to get some pushback. But all new entries into the game are welcome, and each one has some advantages. Let's put them side by side and compare honestly.

I do like the "axleless" suspension with its replaceable spindles, the extra one mounted with the spare, and the apparently replaceable rubber springs. It may be called "axleless", but it still apparently has a 2" square tube running across the trailer to mount the two pieces on.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:24 PM   #143

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Apparently, the 17' model comes with a chair.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.20.08 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.21.19 PM.jpg  

Old 02-06-2021, 05:26 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
I looked at the site again $29,000 and Aluminumized was only $38,000. I would like one.

Look again. The shiny one is almost $48,000
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.21.19 PM.jpg  
Old 02-06-2021, 05:38 PM   #145

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Look again. The shiny one is almost $48,000
Didn't he say something about how dealers could make lots of money?

It might be a hard sell to tell everyone that traditional fiberglass is inferior, then offer it, but then offer an $8,000. upgrade to aluminized.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:44 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
It might be a hard sell to tell everyone that traditional fiberglass is inferior, then offer it, but then offer an $8,000. upgrade to aluminized.

But, it comes with a chair.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:22 PM   #147

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
But, it comes with a chair.
You had me laughing the first time you wrote that. And now you got me again!

Just when I thought the price was over the top, I realized it comes with a chair!

Stop it! Your killing me!
Old 02-07-2021, 01:32 AM   #148

Name: Paul
Trailer: Casita and Hemisphere
Kentucky
Interesting, but no Oliver

You need to tour the Oliver Plant and see the attention to detail, the materials used, and quality in construction. It would be hard to compare any FG to an Oliver. Price does not make the trailer. Until you see what you are getting for your money, it’s all show.
oldharry2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:03 AM   #149
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Nest had chairs, atleast two as I recall.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:14 PM   #150

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
I do like the "axleless" suspension with its replaceable spindles, the extra one mounted with the spare, and the apparently replaceable rubber springs. It may be called "axleless", but it still apparently has a 2" square tube running across the trailer to mount the two pieces on.
Raspy,

What source indicates a steel member running between the two assemblies?

I think that developing an effective interface between the steel suspension assemblies and a composite frame will be critical to a successful design. I had thought the two assemblies would be mounted independently with no steel member to join them and help maintain proper wheel alignment, but I may be mistaken on that point.

I exchanged some PMs with Paul on Friday. I sent him a rather lengthy one Friday night with feedback on various subjects including the axle assemblies. The PM was sent at what amounts to a bit after 10:00 Friday night Ohio time, so he may not have even seen it yet. I'll be interested to see what sort of feedback he provides.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:05 PM   #151

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
If the Cortez makers it to market, and it has a floor plan I like, I would seriously consider buying it, assuming it is made as described. It would have to be on par or better than my 2019 Big Foot 25B25RQ , however.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #152

Smith Valley, Nevada
Mike,

Here are a couple of pictures of the 3500 lb model "Axleless" suspension. It appears to bolt to a longitudinal frame member and have a 2" square tube running across the trailer to the other axle piece to stabilize them both and control the upward torquing motion from the force on the spindles. You can see the square socket on each axle assembly. It seems the lighter duty ones may not need that cross-stabilizer if the frame is stiff enough, but I'm assuming the ones being used are the 3,500 lb model.

That stabilizer is up and out of the way compared to a conventional axle.

I like how the spindle can be easily replaced, and apparently, so can the rubber springs. On the Cortes site, they mention that there is an extra spindle included.
Attached Thumbnails
shopping.jpeg  
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2021, 01:44 PM   #153

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
If the Cortez makers it to market, and it has a floor plan I like, I would seriously consider buying it, assuming it is made as described.
Well, same here with one proviso: I still haven't heard back from Paul about how amenable his fiberglass is to major repair.

Walt
Old 02-07-2021, 07:23 PM   #154

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Dealer pricing??

Quote:
Didn't he say something about how dealers could make lots of money?

When people see the price, they are going to want to save some money by picking it up at the factory. Like Johnny Cash did with his car. While my 2017 Scamp 16' did have some minor problems, I had trouble getting the price to $22,000 with every option they offered.
Attached Thumbnails
2021-02-07 18_47_19-Greenshot.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #155

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Oh no. Cortes Campers are running afoul of the Cancel Culture. Mao killed millions more in my lifetime than Cortes has ever been accused of (even in the most, wild, fevered dreams of the most ardent social justice warriors), yet there is no outrage about buying from Chinese companies whose very existence is the work of Mao's worshippers.
TucsonBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:20 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill View Post
Oh no. Cortes Campers are running afoul of the Cancel Culture. Mao killed millions more in my lifetime than Cortes has ever been accused of (even in the most, wild, fevered dreams of the most ardent social justice warriors), yet there is no outrage about buying from Chinese companies whose very existence is the work of Mao's worshippers.

True, but nobody is building a Mao trailer.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:43 PM   #157

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
True, but nobody is building a Mao trailer.
Good point. No one is going to build a Stalin trailer either.

Company has the right to pick whatever name they prefer and don't need my approval for sure!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:58 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Good point. No one is going to build a Stalin trailer either.

Company has the right to pick whatever name they prefer and don't need my approval for sure!

Again true. But, one of the tools of marketing is the "Focus Group". Ordinary people are brought in to view and experience a product, while the executives and creators hide and observe from behind one-way glass ( in a room with a well-stocked bar ). This forum is a free focus group and has pointed out that many have a problem with the name and rationale for the branding.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:47 AM   #159
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Took a lot of heat here when we introduced the HC1 but not once did we have anyone object to Happier Camper name ,not much you can say to that name.
While I wish the new company well and much of what they plan to do HC is already doing so not much to improve on there I do question their plans to go the dealership route as it is virtually impossible to mass produce a fg trailer without mass producing molds ,a very expensive process unless they have found an alternative process no other fg manufacturer knows of.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:53 AM   #160

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
It is not the campers; it is the way they are being advertised. Just remove the text talking about Hernan Cortes dominating the indigenous people like this camper will dominate. Culturally short-sighted. I would not buy as I have indigenous ancestors even if I had the funds and were not completely fond of my Silver Cloud.

Cindy
I agree. I have nothing but Europeans in my ancestry, but I felt sick after reading the explanation of the name. As for human sacrifices? Look up the Spanish Inquisition. Anybody of non-Christian belief was killed in horrible ways.

Europeans were/are quite violent. How about naming it Hitler Trailers? That would be similarly insensitive and sick.

I still feel sick. Thanks, Cortes trailers for wrecking my morning.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote