Cost of bearing replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-15-2021, 04:04 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: in the process of buying a Casita 17 Liberty Delux
Ohio
Cost of bearing replacement

I think my casita may need a new wheel bearing. Of course I’m vacationing. What should I expect to pay for a bearing replacement?

Dave Loebach
Dave8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Here's a complete kit with everything you'll need, (except the axle grease.) About $25 bucks for both wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/WPS-Trailer-B...99953398&psc=1

These replacement bearing kits are also available all over for the ubiquitous Dexter #10 3,500 Lb. capacity Torflex Axles. Very common replacement items, and you can pick them up at just about any auto parts store. I've even seen them in Walmarts.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Greg makes the point that DIY is the cheapest and often better way to go. It is still possible to do, but not so easy away from home. If its just a bad bearing then maybe $150 (give or take $120). Of course you are in a vulnerable situation, in need away from home. And if you are in a remote area also they can ask any price. And if the bearing has cut into the spindle or there is damage to the brakes, etc, then even an honest shop would charge more than that. Best bet (IMHO) is to do whatever research you can to find a honest shop in your current area and pay what they ask unless it sounds really out of line.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:02 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Definitely look for a utility trailer shop. Last year the local trailer shop quoted me $150 to repack the bearings on both sides of a single axle. I don't think this shop would have charged any more labor to replace the bearings and they stock these bearings. I was just checking the price. I would definitely repack bearings myself and also replace bearings, races and seals myself. Don't need a press to do this.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:06 PM   #5

Michigan
Registry
If you think the bearing is bad don't tow very far. On Dexter torflex axles, the spindles that the bearings ride on are not replaceable if damaged. The axle has to be replaced.

Why do you think the bearing is bad? Could it be a brake shoe dragging?
Old 02-16-2021, 05:17 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Greg makes the point that DIY is the cheapest and often better way to go. It is still possible to do, but not so easy away from home. If its just a bad bearing then maybe $150 (give or take $120). Of course you are in a vulnerable situation, in need away from home. And if you are in a remote area also they can ask any price. And if the bearing has cut into the spindle or there is damage to the brakes, etc, then even an honest shop would charge more than that. Best bet (IMHO) is to do whatever research you can to find a honest shop in your current area and pay what they ask unless it sounds really out of line.
👍 Totally agree with Gordon’s assessment!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:36 AM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
A quick and easy job. I doubt if there are any needed tools that you don't already carry with you. You may however need something to push the old bearing out. I use a large socket that is the same size as the race needed to remove the old race and set the new. This may be the only tool you need to purchase.
After you have done it once it can even be done on the side of a road in less than 50 minutes.
I used to have a popup tent trailer with 8 inch tires. I documented my miles and every 7K miles I would change the bearings. I owned that trailer for 31 years and towed it almost 200K miles, so I changed the bearings frequently and many times. At 70 mph those little wheels were really spinning. I would not leave home on a vacation without having 2 extra sets of bearings (already prepacked with grease at home). Prepacking your spare bearings will save you about 20 minutes when you make your pit stop. I still carry a spare set of bearings I have prepacked with grease for my Snoozy.
I wouldn't pay $150.00 for a job not much more difficult than changing spark plugs on your tug.
Be prepared as a wheel seized to your spindle is a huge problem you will not be able to do on the side of the road and will result in you reaching deep into your pockets.
Good luck
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:33 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: in the process of buying a Casita 17 Liberty Delux
Ohio
Job done for $130 with timkin bearings. Well pleased. Great job. Good price. Caveman Customs. Melbourne, Fl.

Thanks all for responding.
Dave8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #9

Michigan
Registry
Thank you for update and thanks for noting the repair facility.