Coulda, shoulda, woulda bought that... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft
From the beginning, when my Dad passed on his passion for camping and boating here in the Land of 11k+ Lakes, I have been fascinated with having the unusual or the best "bang for the buck" type recreational crafts. I have owned many, many unique boats and believe its why I like all the campers we covet here.

My first regret was not buying (money issue aside... ) an available Trailorboat years ago. It was in good shape, with enough to restore to make it fun. If I had realized they were not laying around everywhere I would have bought it.

I cut my teeth as a youngin in a classic (white on faded rust-red) 15 foot Mallard camper (1960's?) and have been searching for one ever since.
I think it is why I regret passing on my first egg ('80's Burro)
It was semi complete inside, very clean shell and was only $1000. It sat at the local chop-shop type car dealer right down my street for months. I always meant to put some money down on it and never did. It was sold about a month later.
That's when my quest began for my current 1988 Scamp-13.

After viewing this site for over a year, checking CL, head turning at every Boler, Casita, U-haul that past me on the road (I never approached owners myself...this is why I created this thread btw ) where do you supposed i get my opportunity????

The same car dealer shop.... I learned my lesson and looked at it (price was right but was cash poor at the time) and I put money down on it. The owner even let me take it home on partial payment (small towns...gotta love it) Last September I payed it off ($900 total!) and am beginning to fix it up now. (it was going to be a concession trailer cuz I owned a catering biz) Exterior is near perfect for an '88 and interior is solid with some appliances and sleeping issues to take care of but I have never once considered selling it since!

My family owned the classic 1976 Toyota Chinook Pop-upcamper when we were young and someday I may buy a project Chinook as well.

What have you passed on and later regretted?
Daverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

When I had my 1979 VW Beetle Convertible back in the 1980's I would pass a consignment lot about twice a week that had an Eriba Puck in very good condition. I would go and look it over, sit in it and daydream, but decided that they were asking too much for it. It was on that lot for 6 months, but finally sold. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gotten the money somehow.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Daverl... I'm still trying to pay off the ones I didn't... pass on!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
There have been quite a few Bigfoot dual axle 5th that we would have bought if we had the money and/or they weren't in Canada.

There was also a 50's fiberglass canned ham on ebay years ago, but it was back east as was the MKP danish trailer I coveted.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Even though not fiberglass, I was always intrigued with the lightweight Award trailer design. Several have been available nearby at reasonable prices and I even inspected one closely at a dealership lot.

But the best way I can explain it is somehow they just didn't seem to spark my intrigue as much in reality as in my mind's image. Not that there was anything so wrong or deficient in any way, but it just wasn't a trailer I could relate to.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Haven't passed on too many eggs yet, but so far someone beats me to most of the ones I want to restore.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote