Couple found murdered - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
I'm curious about just WTH climate change has to do with the possibility of one of us incurring bodily harm or death while camping and how it is "...the greatest security threat to the nation."
Statistics show that the surface temperature of the earth is rising which is having in some cases a detrimental affect on plants and animals / wildlife .
People also are being mentally & physically affected by the rising temperatures
Heat affects the thinking process and behavior ( Irrational / aggressive )
According to studies there is a correlation between civil unrest , anti social behavior and lowered IQ’s and the rise in temperatures
In other words warm / hot weather screws with your brain

. I AM ONLY PARROTING WHAT I HAVE READ AND HEARD
Old 11-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Couple found murdered

Conflating all the potential dangers one might encounter while traveling and camping is hardly helpful, and a debate about global warming in particular will get this thread shut down in a hurry.

The specific danger raised in this thread is a violent attack by another person in a camping spot. Not a traffic accident, not an attack by a grizzly bear, not a weather event- earthquake or tornado or lightening strike or hurricane or wildfire...

Violent personal attacks do happen to campers, and not all are close to the southern border. I recall an incident a few months ago by a couple of kids in Canada. Naturally they strike fear in the hearts of RVers in part because (1) we have some idea how to assess and avoid or minimize other kinds of dangers, (2) we are acclimated to the level of violent crime in our home zip code, but campgrounds represent an unknown (especially to newbies), and (3) media coverage tends to sensationalize the most gruesome events.

It’s safe to say traveling elevates the risk of death by accident, weather, and rarely, violence. On the other hand, there is good evidence it lowers the risk of death from illnesses associated with a sedentary lifestyle. One thing’s certain: we will all die some way.

Practice situational awareness, arm yourself if you feel inclined, ask questions when heading into isolated spots, camp in a group... lots of ways to manage risk, but no way to eliminate it.

Sincere condolences to the families of this couple. Somehow it feels disrespectful to turn this into a political free-for-all.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #23

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I completely agree, except that just because "the specific danger raised in the thread" was person to person violence doesn't mean all other topics are off-limits, if we can draw some parallels.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #24

Name: Tony
Trailer: Casita
New York
We spent a night on the beach in Texas and were not comfortable. When someone pulls in at night a few hundred yards away, there's no telling who they are or even what they're camping in, there's no way to assess. Also, politics of gun culture aside, I feel less safe in parts of the country where carrying is common. Maybe that's poor logic, but it is the case.

Most people on this site pull trailers. When you have to exit the trailer to drive away, there's an added element of risk and that's assuming you're hooked up. Its one reason I avoid Walmarts or overnights in sketchy areas. I'm in my late 60's now and just can't handle myself like I used to, even worse, I'm not sure I can defend my wife if I had to. Best to be vigilant. I like State Parks.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #25

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondack Anthony View Post
We spent a night on the beach in Texas and were not comfortable. When someone pulls in at night a few hundred yards away, there's no telling who they are or even what they're camping in, there's no way to assess. Also, politics of gun culture aside, I feel less safe in parts of the country where carrying is common. Maybe that's poor logic, but it is the case.

Most people on this site pull trailers. When you have to exit the trailer to drive away, there's an added element of risk and that's assuming you're hooked up. Its one reason I avoid Walmarts or overnights in sketchy areas. I'm in my late 60's now and just can't handle myself like I used to, even worse, I'm not sure I can defend my wife if I had to. Best to be vigilant. I like State Parks.
I generally feel the same as you. We stay in campgrounds and even then we read reviews and avoid those that seem to have a shaky grasp on security.

I would only point out that Texas does have excellent state parks for camping and I have never felt unsafe in them. Many are from the CCC days, so the facilities may be a bit older, but most are kept up to date. Not all of them allow RVs, and some are a tight fit for modern large RVs, but fiberglass RVs typically fit quite well. If you want to feel like you are on the water Goose Island has sites right out next to the sand. Not my thing, but much better than a public beach.

I have never seen anyone carrying a gun in a Texas State Park. Probably because of this:

"Our rules state that you may not show/display or fire your gun in a state park. If you have a valid Handgun License, you may carry your handgun in many state parks. But even with a license, handguns are not allowed in parks that are leased from the federal government. Check with the park before you go."
Old 11-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #26

Name: Lee
Texas
Registry
The only details I saw were in the story but I wonder if they found a secluded spot on the beach which would be nice scenery wise but vulnerable security wise.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #27

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-dep...ered-rv-stolen
I just saw this on the news and thought I'd pass it on. Any info on RVers being preyed upon as they travel the country? This story was pretty horrific.

You don't always hear about these things since sometimes no one knows where the people were or where they disappeared from. A group we belong to had a couple disappear along the Mexico border but was never seen or heard from again. Their rig was never found either. It was assumed the bandits got them and their rig. The one in this article was on our news Sunday night. There's danger in everything you do but trying to be safe and knowing your surroundings helps to keep you safer. Going into Mexico or camping along a drug route is not safe. Times have changed and that is a fact. I've stopped at Walmart Stores and felt unsafe and left even in a place that should be safe. Would I go into Chicago in the crime district and camp? No because it is not safe. I try to camp around people that have nice rigs of any kind and look respectable. If a camper is trashy or the campground is trashy I won't stay. We pulled into and out of a campground in Pocatello, ID it was so trashy and the people looked like someone out of the movie Deliverance. A Casita was sitting along the curb in front of us looking for another RV Park also. You have to use your best judgement to try and stay safe. There's only one thing in this world 100% and that you won't get out of it alive but you can stay safer if you are smart about things.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:53 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
I'm curious about just WTH climate change has to do with the possibility of one of us incurring bodily harm or death while camping and how it is "...the greatest security threat to the nation."
Careful you are coming dangerously close to being smugly called a "denier".
Old 11-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #29

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Statistics show that the surface temperature of the earth is rising which is having in some cases a detrimental affect on plants and animals / wildlife .
People also are being mentally & physically affected by the rising temperatures
Heat affects the thinking process and behavior ( Irrational / aggressive )
According to studies there is a correlation between civil unrest , anti social behavior and lowered IQ’s and the rise in temperatures
In other words warm / hot weather screws with your brain

. I AM ONLY PARROTING WHAT I HAVE READ AND HEARD

So eat lots of Ice cream... Brain freeze is good ...Right??
Old 11-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Information from Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Old 11-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #31

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Apparently people have identified this guy.

CindyL
Old 11-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #32

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Monday ABC news

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Apparently people have identified this guy.

CindyL

The unidentified person of interest was seen driving the couple's stolen RV across a checkpoint into Mexico in surveillance footage on Oct. 21. There were no suspects in custody as of Sunday and police are still searching for the RV.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #33

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
So my camper, truck and camp are clean and tidy, but I'm not outfitted with rocket boxes, bike racks, or general "bling" that people love to mount to their trucks.
What kind of rocket box are you referring to? I have never heard the term and Google gave me too many answers!

Oh, wait, a Yakima rooftop box?

Funny thing is, this is the first hit for "rocket boxes". You wouldn't want to carry too many of these around either!
Attached Thumbnails
Rocket Boxes.jpg  

Old 11-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #34

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yes, the Yakima-style. I’m sure you’ve seen people covering their vehicles with stickers, rocket boxes, bike racks, and fancy frames with gas cans and shovels. Shows the world which niche you belong to and how much money you have.

Not that it would necessarily help, but that was one thing I really liked about my old motorhome. I could get up and drive away without stepping outside...

Hope they catch these people.

And thank you for fixing the title! Every time I thought about this thread title I’d start giggling, which made me feel really bad...
Old 11-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #35

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
The murdered couple story

Current summary with good photos of people and RV.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eard-from.html
Old 11-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #36

NW Wisconsin
There are several studies ( Both public & private) listing the safest states to live & visit and the most dangerous states to live and visit . While some of the findings seemed contrary to conventional wisdom ,many reinforced what I already knew or believed
There are many parts of the US that I have no interest in visiting and now I have some logical reasons for my choices
Life is too short to risk it needlessly!

Next year we are planning an 8 week tour of Canada and the New England States
Old 11-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #37

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

Next year we are planning an 8 week tour of Canada and the New England States
let us know if you are anywhere near us in your New England states trip. We are near Albany NY. Enjoyed meeting you at Jekyll a few years ago.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #38

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
let us know if you are anywhere near us in your New England states trip. We are near Albany NY. Enjoyed meeting you at Jekyll a few years ago.
Thank You , upstate New York is high on our list of places to visit . My wife wants to go in the Fall when the weather is more favorable (Cool , sunny with low humidity)
Old 11-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #39
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Be aware in northern New England many camp grounds close after labor day and there's not much open after Columbus day. Also foilage reachest peak in late September / early October. Plan accordingly.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #40

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Don't they check vehicle registration, insurance, and your passport at the borders ?
Closed Thread