CPAP machine & Boondocking/Dry Camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Question CPAP machine & Boondocking/Dry Camping

CPAP machine & Boondocking/Dry Camping: What do you Do?

I assume one must use an inverter (my CPAP machine has a "Flight" setting which goes to lower watts setting), but what type of an inverter would I need?

The one I have does not have a 12v adaptor.

What has been your experience using one?

Thanks.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp 16 Custom Deluxe
Washington
Registry
An inverter supplies 110v AC (household current) from a 12v supply (battery) I know nothing about CPAP machines but yours has a wattage requirement. Buy an inverter that would supply that wattage continuously. Inverter receptacles are the 'common' type found in your household outlets and don't use 12v adaptors.

Perhaps someone with a lot more knowledge than I can speak up.
Dave Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:04 AM   #3

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I had to go and look it up, learn something new every day.

A continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine was initially used mainly by patients for the treatment of sleep apnea at home, but now is in widespread use across intensive care units as a form of ventilation.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Inverters MUST be pure sine wave and 12 volts is preferable (and in some cases mandatory) for some of them like some Resmeds. Common non pure sine wave inverters may burn the CPAP mother board (and will destroy some of them for sure). Check your manufacturer requirements according to YOUR specific model.

Don't expect humidity control (heating) on a CPAP running on batteries. You will drain them in a few hours. Just have the air flow over the water tank.

My wife and I are both on CPAP. We are running them on 12 volts (which is more efficient than on 110 coming from batteries). We have 2 X 6 volts golf cart batteries who can supply the necessary power for 4-5 days.

This set up is perfect for both of us.

P.S. We carry a Honda 2000 generator anyway in order to be able to charge the batteries if needed. We also have an IntelliPower intelligent charger built in our main electrical panel. Otherwise I would recommend an intelligent charger connected to the generator.
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I've used a cpap since 2000. The old one runs directly on 12 volts so that's the one I keep in the trailer (s). Quite easy on the battery. My new one cannot be run directly on 12 volts. Tried it with an inverter and it very quickly depleted the battery even with the humidifier heat off. I use a passover humidifier with the old one.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Contact The Manufacturer

I would echo the recommendation to get the machine to run on 12 volt. Even if the manufacturer does not sell a 12 volt adapter they may allow a third party maker of such adapters to connect.

Our household has a REM Star Pro M Series, the manufacturer sells the adapter. Consider changing machines, if that is all possible.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #7

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2013 16 ft. Scamp
Michigan
Thanks to all who replied to mey question of boondocking with a CPAP. I am sure now we can make this work!
anne myette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:20 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
What brands and model CPAP do you have. Many of them do have a 12v adapter available for them.

Jeremy
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
It would be best if you could get one that runs directly off 12 volts DC. Mine does, and it uses about 7 amps overnight on 12 volts, which my 90 watt solar panel easily replaces. I also have a jumpstart/air compressor type backup that I used last month while staying at our daughters house and that lasted the 3 nights that we were there for the CPAP (I didn't have the 110 volt cord with me and we slept in her house instead of the camper).
I don't use the humidifier with mine.
Attached Images

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:05 PM   #10

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2013 16 ft. Scamp
Michigan
Thank You for the suggestions. The more I can learn the easier these decisions will be.
anne myette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #11

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
I use a Philips Respironics System One CPAP. It runs directly on 12v and you can get the 12v car plug cord from them. Without humidifier it will run about 3 nights on an 18Ah battery. Typical RV betteries (group 24 or 27) are several times larger than that.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote