Craftsman Tools - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-23-2017, 04:48 PM   #61
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Thanks for the rebuild info Raz, was that on Ebay?
Yes eBay. Less than $12, Probably cost more than a new one but for me less than the gas to drive to the nearest Sears to trade in. I prefer to fix than replace. Ever take a ratchet apart. It's very clever how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Now you have ratcheted up this conversation, Raz!
Seems to be a lot of ratcheting going on here already. I just posted to alert those with knuckle buster's like mine that there is way to keep your made in US tool.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #62

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
craftsman tools

I think they are fantastic I have seen those mechinics join 2 wrenches together to get more leverage never saw the good ones snap. I am sure my h/freight junk wouldn't with stand that but I am not a pro using the heck out of them every day.

then we come to price for the occasional user my h/freight junk is fine. I do question whether the sears stuff will remain the quality as time goes on!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #63

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
When you are doing a simple task that involves easy access, good wrench angles and a full view of the work, about anything will do. Blind starting nuts or studs at marginal angles can be pretty frustrating with poor tolerance tools, worn out ratchet balls, and hard to flip tools. I’ve bought a lot of older tools at auctions but farm auctions often have badly worn tools. The best stuff I find comes from annual or semi annual fraternal order rummage sales. The old man is gone, the wife is in the auxiliary, she’s moving to a condo and cleaning out. If the price is reasonable I gladly pay it, I do not try to bargain. Then I give my next best stuff to my kids if they will take it. I cull tools like bass fishermen cull fish.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:52 PM   #64

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Want deals on used tools, Walk through a few pawn shops. Always bargan and your last offer always say, is that an out the door price which means they pay the tax.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #65

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neto View Post
Want deals on used tools, Walk through a few pawn shops. Always bargan and your last offer always say, is that an out the door price which means they pay the tax.
After having many thousands of dollars of tools stolen over the years (25k+) I despise pawn shops as they most of the tools they sell were stolen. Sure, they say they check them out, but.......

I could never with good conscience buy something in these shops, and I like to have a clean conscience.

Sorry to be so negative on this, it is just that it is something that hits a real sore spot with me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #66

Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I think there’s some good ones Jim but like you I’ve yet to find one I have trusted on used tools or anything else used. And there’s no guarantee when you buy from a pawn shop. Just like a New Idea manure spreader.
Nobody wants to stand behind it.
Merry Christmas
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #67

Alberta
Registry
I have never seen a pawn shop like the one from Vegas on TV. Most of the ones around here are way smaller and don't deal with big ticket items.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-23-2017, 08:43 PM   #68

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
To be fair, it's very hard for a pawn shop to determine an item is stolen unless it's serialized and comes up in a computer check. Many folks don't report stolen goods, or they do but there is no means of identifying the specific item, or they don't have serial numbers.

If a pawn shop accepts goods, they must be able to show due diligence in vetting the items they buy, by checking any items with a serial number against a database. Pawn shops around here that fail to do that, and wind up buying and selling stolen goods, face criminal penalties for doing so.

When I worked in law enforcement, we worked closely with several pawn shops who often gave us tips or reported attempts to sell stolen property. The majority of pawn shops, in my experience, were legitimate and well run. I can't speak for other shops however, because I'm sure it varies from place to place.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #69

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have never seen a pawn shop like the one from Vegas on TV. Most of the ones around here are way smaller and don't deal with big ticket items.
Jim, we've stopped into the Pawn Stars shop, it's not anywhere near the size it looks like on TV, at least in the public sales area. It was interesting as I do watch the show, to see some items I've seen them buy for X and the price their asking....wow.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #70

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Yes eBay. Less than $12, Probably cost more than a new one but for me less than the gas to drive to the nearest Sears to trade in. I prefer to fix than replace. Ever take a ratchet apart. It's very clever how it works.
Thanks Raz, about 100 miles one way for me.....if it's still even open .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #71

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I've bought repair kits for SK ratchets a couple times. Real easy to install.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:45 PM   #72

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Of course with craiglist around it is now much easier to sell used tools and get a fair price for them as well as buying some very nice used tools.

Our needs do change over the years as can our financial situations. It is very nice to have that alternative to pawn shops. Of course garage sales and estate sales are good for finding some nice old craftsman items.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #73

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
To be fair, it's very hard for a pawn shop to determine an item is stolen unless it's serialized and comes up in a computer check. Many folks don't report stolen goods, or they do but there is no means of identifying the specific item, or they don't have serial numbers.

If a pawn shop accepts goods, they must be able to show due diligence in vetting the items they buy, by checking any items with a serial number against a database. Pawn shops around here that fail to do that, and wind up buying and selling stolen goods, face criminal penalties for doing so.

When I worked in law enforcement, we worked closely with several pawn shops who often gave us tips or reported attempts to sell stolen property. The majority of pawn shops, in my experience, were legitimate and well run. I can't speak for other shops however, because I'm sure it varies from place to place.
That is generally how it is laid out to work here too. The problem is, is that most often either the theft was not reported, or even if it was that the victim had no idea what the serial numbers were. There are not too many companies I know out there that catalogue their tools by serial number.

Another issue is that many tools do not have serial numbers on them. Most hand tools are that way. Like most contractors I carry about $15k worth of tools on a regular basis, and less than half that value is tools with serial numbers on them. I have toolboxes of electical, plumbing, and interior trim tools, along with my carry in bag that has most of my commonly used tools, that are loaded with lots of lesser ($5-200) hand tools with no SNs.

I am kinda soured on thieves, as the last time I had my truck stolen, wrecked, and all the tools taken, the dealing with insurance and having to replace everything (which was all good quality in good condition anyway) is probably the most stressful thing I have dealt with in the last decade.

Okay, I'm all better now.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #74

Arkansas
Registry
Jim, you're preaching to the choir. I detest thieves. Always have.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #75

Alberta
Registry
Wouldn't life be simpler and so wonderful if we could just trust everyone?

Too bad there is always that wee handful that feel it is easier to take advantage of what others have gained, instead of putting in the effort to better themselves.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #76

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
"what others have gained, instead of putting in the effort to better themselves".
That's the heart of the argument for me. I don't see possessions as things, as much as a representation in tangible form of the work, sweat, labor and effort that someone has put forth - their energy, if you will. Stealing something is an ultimate form of disrespect for all the work that went into obtaining it. It was sometimes difficult for me in law enforcement because you're supposed to stay emotionally detached. Thieves infuriated me, so I had to make an extra effort.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #77
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
And the attitude that I don’t have to work for something, but it’s OK to take it from someone who did work for it. But I guess this is just restating in different words what has already been said above. You frequently see people tossing trash (butts, beverage containers) on other people’s property as they drive along the road. These same people would be incensed if someone vandalized their car or littered on their property.
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #78

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
You frequently see people tossing trash (butts, beverage containers) on other people’s property as they drive along the road. These same people would be incensed if someone vandalized their car or littered on their property.
: : Yep, blessed with a complete lack of self-awareness.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:41 PM   #79

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
That's the heart of the argument for me. I don't see possessions as things, as much as a representation in tangible form of the work, sweat, labor and effort that someone has put forth - their energy, if you will. Stealing something is an ultimate form of disrespect for all the work that went into obtaining it. It was sometimes difficult for me in law enforcement because you're supposed to stay emotionally detached. Thieves infuriated me, so I had to make an extra effort.
Amen!
As detestable as theft really is, I think vandalism is an even worse form of disrespect. Heck, at least if someone steals from you, you can imagine that he might gain something from it. Vandalism is just cowardly,mean,stupid, nonsense!

When it comes to tools, I have seldom suffered outright theft, mostly they are just borrowed and not returned. I have tried to keep a checkout list but I keep forgetting to use it. Deep down, I guess I just figure that the borrower aught to be responsible to return things without being hunted down to asked for them back.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #80

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I've bought repair kits for SK ratchets a couple times. Real easy to install.
Yeah! So much for the lifetime guarantee. I felt lucky to buy a kit for one recently, turned out I was charged less than $3. The small head SK is the best conventional 3/8" ratchet in my tool box.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote