Cross Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The plan is to travel from North Vancouver to Nova Scotia next year and then back by a southern route.

Rather ambitious, but we will have had the Escape and Rav for about a year.

My question is, how long should such a trip take, with lots of time to explore, no really long days on the road and close to a stress-free trip? We have a spare bunk for Dr. Phil.

I guessed 10 days one way, at a minimum ( exploring extra ).

I'd appreciate advice on how to ensure a good trip, places you just have to visit, advice on a return route. I think a subscription to a Serius Sat radio is a must, for instance.

If this topic has been done to death, maybe somebody could steer me to the answers.

We would probably leave early September.

baglo
Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The more time you allot for the trip, the more likely you will be to enjoy it instead of turning it into a marathon.

How could one travel all the way to NS and not go to CBI? How could one go to CBI and not go to Newfoundland?
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Jasper and Banff and the Athabasca Glacier & Brewster Snocoach tour and the Icefield Visitor Centre between Jasper and Banff. Moose Jaw, Thunderbay, Waterton.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/index_e.asp

http://www.banffnationalpark.com/

http://www.discoverlakelouise.com/itinerar...FieldsTour.html

http://www.watertoninfo.ab.ca/

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
we've done half the trip — coast to Winnipeg — many times and 10 days would be pretty head-down-and-go travelling. Calgary in a (long) day, Winnipeg in another and three days across Ontario depending if The Centre of the Universe is in your plans. Quebec is two, depending on route and then NB and NS.
Personally I would take three weeks and smell the roses en route, but it could be done if there's somewhere you need to be on a certain date.
Our plan (someday) is straight south, then east, then north to Canada and then east to west cross country. But keep up posted on the planning and the travel.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
The plan is to travel from North Vancouver to Nova Scotia next year and then back by a southern route.

My question is, how long should such a trip take, with lots of time to explore, no really long days on the road and close to a stress-free trip? We have a spare bunk for Dr. Phil.

I'd appreciate advice on how to ensure a good trip, places you just have to visit, advice on a return route. I think a subscription to a Serius Sat radio is a must, for instance.

If this topic has been done to death, maybe somebody could steer me to the answers.

baglo
Hi: Glenn...Don't forget the "Great Lakes Region" from over/under Superior, to Michigan, Huron, Erie and Ontario. Takes a while to enjoy them all.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Boy; does this question/quest bring back memories!! I

n 1978 I drove from Edmonton to Nova Scotia and back with my girlfriend, tent camping all the way, with a 1972 Dodge Demon!

We drove into the US at Portal, Saskatchewan just SE of Estevan. We drove through to Maine in the US, visitng my girlfriend's brother in Davenport Iowa along the way. The ferry ride across Lake Champlain was particularly memorable. We made a decision to take secondary highways only, and stayed off all the interstates. We crossed into New Brunswick at Vanceboro. After visiting New Bruswick, Nova Scotia, and P.E.I., we drove through to Montreal vis the Gaspe. We did not go to Newfoundland. Ottawa was next. We avoided Toronto, and drove back west along the North shore of Lake Superior, through Kenora, Winnipeg, and back home.

We took five weeks for this trip. Even at that, we were rushing home on the last Sunday.

Must see stops, in no particular order:
Waterton/Glacier international Park, particulary the Going to the Sun highway
The big buffalo at Jameston ND
Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller, AB
Writing On Stone Provincial Park (history/canoeing/hiking)
Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park (AB/SASK)
Riding Mountain National Park (MAN)
Lake Champlain (NY/Vermont)
Saint John NB
Halifax NS
Cape Breton NS
Anne of Green Gables PEI
Ottawa
North Shore Lake Superior

My advice would be allow as much time as possible, take your time, and follow the path less travelled.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 17 ft Bigfoot
We did the same sort of trip back in 2002 and it was wonderful!
A lot depends on your interests - are you happy with the sightseeing through the vehicle windows as you drive by or do you prefer to stop a bit along the way at museums. etc or do you like to drive on the smaller side roads rather than the Transcanada/Interstates? If you're happy with moving along steadily, Ian-Vicki are right on and it is a lot of driving. When we crossed just Canada though we took a full month. We're birdwatchers and like to stop a fair bit plus we made it a mission to stay off the Transcanada (and Interstates) as much as possible. Everyone says the prairies are boring but - wow, once you get off the Transcanada and take some of the parallel roads, there are truly gorgeous places. Maybe not with the dramatic type views in the mountains but beautiful in a very lovely way! There is still lots to see as you go farther east - Ontario has some great camping along their lock system, old Quebec City is amazing (camp across the river and take the walk on ferry right into the old city) and then the Maritimes! We took another month wandering around and didn't even get to Newfoundland since we ran out of time! (Oh oh - the more I write the more I'm getting itchy feet to go and do this again! ) Anyway, if you can take the time, take as long as you possibly can. You're already spending the $$ on the fuel so get as much bang for your buck as you can - you're going to be amazed at what a gorgeous country this and the States are plus meet some great folks. If you want any more specific info on campgrounds, etc, let us know - our info is a bit dated since it was 6 years ago and I don't want to blabber on too long and hog the thread! Have a great time, Jim and Pat
Pat B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I would like to raise another concern, depending on what your interests are , many "tourist orientated" activities may be greatly reduced in September and October. Many years ago my aunt and uncle did a trip to the maritimes in September and they did not like it because campgrounds and many "sight seeing" options were closed. For example Fort Louisburg in Cape Breton, will it be fully functioning in September or early October? If you take a month there and a month back you will start to get into iffy weather in the mountains. I lived in the mountains and I saw snow every month of the year except in August.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
We did this in two trips, in 2002 & 2003....Winnipeg to the Maritimes on the Canadian side and back to Winnipeg on the USA side in 2002.....Winnipeg to Kansas to Colorado....Nevada ....San Francisco... to Vancouver and return to Winnipeg South of the USA border in 2003.....each trip was about 6 weeks and still missed a lot.....Moral of this story is try to take lots of time since there is so much to take in and see....Oh, in 2004 we went to Vancouver Island Boler get together at Qualicom......that was about 5 weeks.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #10

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
Hello Glenn, if you find yourself on I90 between Cleveland and Erie Pa. stop in , will put you up with hookup and a quiet nights rest. Sounds like a great trip but cannot understand why you would leave BC for the East? Send me an email if interested in stopping. Invite is open to any eggs and eggers headed our way. Safe travels.
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:22 AM   #11

The Far East, aka the Maritimes are a lot different than middle CA. However, one could indeed spend an RV lifetime in BC, YT and Alberta.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
Talking

Ambitious trip, G.
We've never made one quite that extensive but if we did, I think we'd figure on a bit more than 10 days coast to coast.
Primarily because we've discovered that in most of our travels the journey is the thing. That may sound pretty simplistic but it leads me to my main point... Stay away from those big divided highways.
Down here we call them Interstates and for folks in a hurry and trucks on a mission they're great. For conveying a sense of place, they're abysmal. I suspect the 401 up there is much the same. The charm of a particular region is lost in the generic sameness of the highway engineering and the businesses that border it.
When we have the time to spend on an adventure as opposed to just a trip from point A to point B, we stick to what are know down here as blue highways. These are generally two lanes (one either direction) with the occasional treat of a passing lane to let the locals blow by. The campgrounds along these smaller, less-populated routes are generally smaller, more intimate places run by folks that have owned them forever. The restaurants that one encounters in a small town are almost invariably more interesting and have greater variety and better value than any fast-food place alongside the interstate. When was the last time a McDonalds or even a Cracker Barrel looked, sounded or smelled like it was a unique establishment grounded in a unique community? Heck, even the conversation in a diner in downtown nowhere is a lot more entertaining than that you'll likely never encounter in a Pizza Hut.
As for things to see and do, it's all there for the asking... and the folks you ask are those same folks who will serve up the local cuisine and treat you like family.

I guess all I'm suggesting about your trip is to make it more memorable, take the less-travelled way.
And have a marvelous time.
Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:57 AM   #13

To learn about Blue Highways, read the book Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon -- An excellent read and with no plot it's one of those books to read a few pages at lunch or whatever.

Like the Roaches, I tend to avoid the superslabs -- they are great when you need to be somewhere at somewhen, but there are better ways to travel -- I call myself a Green Dot Guy, because I am always looking on my maps for the green-dotted scenic highways.

I guess the bottom line for this is that if one doesn't have the time to do it right, then just go half as far -- Get more enjoyment and use less fuel.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Google maps says [b]6,353 km – about [b]2 days 12 hours from Vancouver to Sydney cutting through the USA.
That is 60 hours at 106 kph. 10 days would put you on the road for 6+ hrs a day at highway speeds not including stops.

Even at 14 days, that would be 453 km a day. Which in my experience equals about a 6 hour drive including stops and traffic. Factor in your setup and breakdown times and you are going to be pretty tired before you hit the end of your "vacation"

You are going to have to decide how much do you want to drive and how much you want to tour.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:26 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Last year we flew to Halifax, taking a tent and sleeping bags, rented a car and spent 6 weeks exploring. I wish I had another month. Newfoundland is a must. There is so much to see. We bought a Moon Book and it provided great information for places to visit. It was a great investment. I think I would have to start earlier than September, Ottawa is great, Quebec City is fantastic, Montreal is a blast. You could spend several days at each of these places.

Boy am I seeing a lot of Escapes on the road these days.

Quote:

baglo
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote