Current Fiberglass Trailer Market - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2024, 12:01 PM   #1

Name: Brad
Trailer: Interested
Montana
Current Fiberglass Trailer Market

Searching for a smaller fiberglass trailer to pull behind my Tacoma for fishing up to a couple days at a time. What is the current used market?
Montana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:46 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Welcome back Bob! Good to see you haven't given up the search. There are still plenty to be had and prices seem to be holding steady. Wait times for new are much shorter than they were during Covid.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:53 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It's better for buyers than last year at this time. Some sellers haven't gotten the memo, so asking prices are all over the map. Your should be able to get a basic 13'er, under 15 years old and camp ready for $9-12K. It'll be more if you require a wet bath with full hot and cold plumbing, less if you settle for something older and rougher condition.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 12:10 PM   #4

Name: Brad
Trailer: Interested
Montana
why?

The reason
I asked was because looking at the classified I see more on the market that seem to be just sitting. There is nothing in my area yet for sale yet. The weather is cold but warming some.
Montana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 01:10 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Sometimes you have to be ready to drive a ways to get what you're looking for. I drove 1300 miles to buy my 2012 Escape 19; fortunately for you, Scamps are more plentiful, but consider ahead of time how far you'd be willing to drive.

(Note: I would update my trailer details for the sidebar, if the stubborn forum software would let me, but after several tries I've given up.)
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:11 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of NC/SW Desert of UT
Registry
Agree with above, the market has softened up but some sellers have not gotten the message yet. And the price of new units has really shot up. Inflation is real.

Now finding one conveniently located in a smaller market could still be impossible.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 06:11 AM   #7

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I'm not sure the used market ever fluctuated as much as new. Something like my 10 year old Casita might have increased $3k-$4k at the height of Covid, hardly enough to influence a serious buyer or seller either way. Of course you have sellers who are content to sit on a price, maybe because the trailer isn't costing them anything why not? On the other hand you have Looky Lou buyers who are just hoping to find a seller who is uninformed or just wants to be rid of it. IMO those are extremes that don't represent the normal market. As usual, not the abundance of stick built but adequate choice for a motivated buyer.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:22 AM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft Casita
Not updated?

I went and looked at all the trailers for sale that have been listed over 30 days and I am wondering if perhaps some have been sold but left listed? There do seem to be a lot of trailers for sale, even if they are scattered all over country. In any event, good luck. For our first Casita, we traveled from FL to IN to get it. Our second was here in FL as well, just over in the other coast.
kate raslavsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 06:14 PM   #9

Name: Rob
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Registry
I haven't looked closely at trailers lately, but just bought and sold a motorcycle. It's discouraging at first to see mostly outrageous asking prices, but eventually you find that the reasonably priced ones just sell relatively quickly, so the listings don't hang around. The real trick is figuring out exactly what you want and where you'll compromise, and being ready to move when the right one shows up.
robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:17 PM   #10

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita 17
South Carolina
Maybe some sellers are just lazy

I have a 2016 Casita spirit deluxe with some upgrades via a company near the manufacturer. My wife does not like trailer camping and I agreed to selling. That was 2 years ago and it has sat in a lot since.

So, maybe you could advertise and ask around and lazy people like me might respond.

Lee
Lee Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 09:38 PM   #11

Name: Dan
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
Prices have come down since last year. I recently saw a beautiful, fully 2016 loaded 13ft scamp in North Dakota for $9,995. It had everything except the big bed. Original owner in nice condition. I would've snagged it, but I just got a 2015. There was also a clean and functional 1977 13 here in Colorado for $2,500. It was basic, but ready to go aside from needing a new axle. What a great deal. Lastly, there was another 2016 13fter for $14.9k in Colorado. Had big bedand all options aside from AC. That seems to be the high end. I agree with others, some sellers haven't gotten the memo on pricing. Old trailers over $12k are too high...
cdcmgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:19 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
Do you want a fiberglass tent or a full service camper with hot/cold running water and full bathroom facilities? Simple 12v lighting or 30amp 120ac with air-conditioned unit. Keep it under 3000lbs or so to avoid complex towing systems (electric breaks, equalizer hitch, etc.). Good but simple is $5k or less. Fancy is $10k to over $40k.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 07:26 AM   #13

Name: Lurk
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
We visited the Casita factory and showroom a couple years ago. They were under construction to triple production and frankly, were a bit glib about the value (didn't use the words 'take it or leave it' but that was the message). Sure seems like the number of used trailers has dramatically increased (I get an email alert whenever one is listed). Might be wishful thinking on my part, but there has to be quite a bit of downward pressure on pricing, though could take a year or two for new reality of pricing to set in to sellers who remember the heady Covid days.
CoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 08:28 AM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of NC/SW Desert of UT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate raslavsky View Post
I went and looked at all the trailers for sale that have been listed over 30 days and I am wondering if perhaps some have been sold but left listed? There do seem to be a lot of trailers for sale, even if they are scattered all over country. In any event, good luck. For our first Casita, we traveled from FL to IN to get it. Our second was here in FL as well, just over in the other coast.
If I were King I would require sellers to check back in weekly or their ad gets deleted. Many sellers spam the world on their for sale rig and neglect to delete the ad when it sells. This is particularly the case when you see an ad from a person with just a few postings in the forum.

On the Casita factory I toured it six years ago and I was underwhelmed to say the least. As a retired factory manager myself, I tend to focus on organization and cleanliness. Both were lacking. Hopefully it has gotten better. Manufacturers of FG trailers have been spoiled by a red hot market and the lack of capacity in the industry. During such times companies can skip innovation and improvements as they are sold out. Been there, done that. And when the market suddenly turns, they are stuck.

One thing that has legitimately pushed up prices is inflation. Have you priced new lately? And some manufacturers have gotten well ahead of inflation IMO.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass