cutting a trifold mattress - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

Name: Laurie
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
cutting a trifold mattress

My husband and I have a 13 ft. Scamp. We have to roll up our foam mattress when we sit on one side to eat in the trailer if it is raining. Rolling up the cheap foam mattress has put cracks in the foam. We are considering buying a Milliard trifold mattress. We could fold up the mattress at the folds and not cause the mattress to disintegrate. The trifold mattress has a cover which we could take off and then we would be able to cut the mattress at the two corners where the Scamp bed curves along the back wall. We are concerned that the mattress will disintegrate if we cut it. Has anyone bought a trifold mattress and cut it? Will cutting the mattress eventually cause it to fall apart? We appreciate your input.
TimandLaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:40 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I've noticed the same problem and I don't roll up or remove the topper very often.
I never heard of a Milliard trifold mattress before but looked it up. If they would cut one to fit a SCAMP (with covers also custom cut) it would sell like hot cakes, with me first in line. Perhaps you should call them and see if that is possible.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #3

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
I just inherited a plain foam mattress topper that I intend to cut into segments to do exactly what you are wanting to do. I have been considering 3 sections but may go with 4 instead.

Something like this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FOLDING MATTRESS TOPPER-3 SECTION.pdf (4.8 KB, 75 views)
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #4

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Cutting a mattress

I Have a 13 ft Burro. I re made my mattress by removing the cover and re sewing it to fit the cut down foam part. Be sure to mark the foam with a marker at the rounded corners. Take it back outside and place it on a table to work on. With the Part to be cut off hanging over the edge of the table cut it off using an electric knife. The electric knife cuts through straight and clean. Mine looks pretty good. At least you can't see my not so neat sewing job.
eagle of flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Connie an I bought a good grade WalMart foam mattress 8" think with a Temper foam top made in. We cut it with an electric carving knife bought for $10 at a yard sale.
The queen sized mattress made two to fit in the new twin set up we made.
Pretty comfortable too.
We sewed up two covers that zip up so that we can remove them and launder themas well.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #6

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
For whatever it might be worth ....

We didn't want to deal with any sort of mattress topper.

Rolling it up and storing it, especially in a Scamp13 was
a royal pain in the tail.

In our previous Scamp13, I replaced the foam in the
bed/dinette cushions and in the front sofa cushion
with a better quality (more resilient medium density N36)
regular foam (non memory foam).

That made sleeping much better but, I found that sitting
with all your weight concentrated in the smaller area of
your rear end tended to allow us to sink deeper into the
cushion(s) that I really wanted.

All single foam density cushions that have to do double
duty as both a bed cushion and a seat cushion seem to
be a bit of a compromise.

With our new Scamp16D-A trailer, I replaced the factory
foam with a 3-layer foam sandwich. I had our local shop,
that does upholstery foam, glue one inch of medium-high
density (i.e. N36 sleeping foam) to the top and bottom of
2 inches of higher density N44 foam (i.e. sitting foam).

The result so far seems to be a cushion with good firm
support but a more resilient "pillow top" for a bit more
comfortable sleeping. Since making the change, we have
only been out a few times but, so far, we are happy with
the result.

I know that different folks have different firmness wants
and/or needs. The type and thickness of the foam in each
layer can probably be adjusted to suit individual preferences.

Our foam sandwiches consist of 1" of N36 foam on the top
and bottom of 2" of N44 foam. That makes the new cushions
reversible and, so far, still seems to provide excellent support.
No topper of any sort required!

The total cost of building the foam sandwiches, removing
our older/harder foam from the covers, and cutting and
re-stuffing the new foam back into the covers was just
about $220. Although not terribly cheap, that seemed
reasonable to us in comparison to purchasing and storing
some sort of a mattress topper.

I will attach a couple of pix of the 3-layer foam sandwich.

I know it may not be a solution for everyone, but I will
just pass on our solution for whatever anyone thinks
that it might be worth. Of course, as always, YMMV.

Safe and happy camping to all!

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
20170420_183722.jpg   20170420_183629.jpg  

rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #7

Name: OnTheRoadAgain
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
We have 2 twin Milliard trifold mattresses and love them! We did not have to cut the mattresses to fit our curves. We bought 2 to fit into the sleeping area side by side to fill the king-sized area. The trifolds are flexible enough to conform to the curves and so not need altering.

I would not recommend cutting the corners. It would fray the cover on it. It's great comfort with the 6" memory foam on top of our 4" cushions. Can be removed to get into the "basement" for access to freshwater tank for instance. Can be folded and stacked one on the other. Another advantage can be folded and can be removed completely if you need to get them out of the camper.

One note found that using a straight top sheet is a pain to make side by side. Use only the fitted bottom sheets and use thin fleece blankets. Fold up the blankets and put on the foot of the bed. We share the comforter and it's much easier to make.

Using the deep pocket XT Twin fitted are great because the corners of both the 4 inch cushions and the added 6 inch foldables are covered.

| 2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II | 2016 Toyota Tundra |
Oliver_Elite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:01 AM   #8

Ohio
Thanks for all the help and information.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:58 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
We have 2 twin Milliard trifold mattresses and love them! We did not have to cut the mattresses to fit our curves. We bought 2 to fit into the sleeping area side by side to fill the king-sized area. The trifolds are flexible enough to conform to the curves and so not need altering.

I would not recommend cutting the corners. It would fray the cover on it. It's great comfort with the 6" memory foam on top of our 4" cushions. Can be removed to get into the "basement" for access to freshwater tank for instance. Can be folded and stacked one on the other. Another advantage can be folded and can be removed completely if you need to get them out of the camper.

One note found that using a straight top sheet is a pain to make side by side. Use only the fitted bottom sheets and use thin fleece blankets. Fold up the blankets and put on the foot of the bed. We share the comforter and it's much easier to make.

Using the deep pocket XT Twin fitted are great because the corners of both the 4 inch cushions and the added 6 inch foldables are covered.
How comfortable do you think the mattress alone would be? Reviews suggest it would be fine but just wondering.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:24 PM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
How comfortable do you think the mattress alone would be? Reviews suggest it would be fine but just wondering.
It would be comfortable alone.

One note.

This mattress arrangement is frustrating but worth it.
In our case we need to crawl in on our knees then do a 180.
Getting out another 180.

For some strange reason (I guess it's the only place Oliver could mount it? the TV is in the left corner at the very back. The head of the combined bed is against our cabinets facing the back. Look at pictures of the standard configuration.

Just don't have any emergencies. The bed is so plush it takes some real maneuvering.

Our "king-sized" bed compartment with 4" supplied Oliver cushions with the additional 6" of Mallard is so comfortable. More comfortable than either one of our beds at home.

Once you are properly aligned there is a ton of space for 2 people. 3 could easily fit.

I highly recommend them.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:38 PM   #11

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Elite2 View Post
It would be comfortable alone.

One note.

This mattress arrangement is frustrating but worth it.
In our case we need to crawl in on our knees then do a 180.
Getting out another 180.

For some strange reason (I guess it's the only place Oliver could mount it? the TV is in the left corner at the very back. The head of the combined bed is against our cabinets facing the back. Look at pictures of the standard configuration.

Just don't have any emergencies. The bed is so plush it takes some real maneuvering.

Our "king-sized" bed compartment with 4" supplied Oliver cushions with the additional 6" of Mallard is so comfortable. More comfortable than either one of our beds at home.

Once you are properly aligned there is a ton of space for 2 people. 3 could easily fit.

I highly recommend them.
I'm looking at using a full-sized one in an Escape 15 so that I can access the bench storage. I could use it over the cushions but would prefer if I don't need to- my current mattress is six inches and very comfy so probably it would work fine. I still have to measure the width of the benches to see if the fold would be in the right place for it to work, though. It's about 4" shorter than the current mattress but I might just put a wedge of foam there if needed.

Thanks. It's great when someone else has already tried the item!

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #12

Ohio
Bought the tri-fold Millard mattress

My husband and I bought the tri-fold mattress for our Scamp and it is great. We are not going to cut it to fit the rounded walls. We are just smoothing the corners into the rounded parts. The mattress is so great we are going to leave the Scamp cushions off. We are only going to take half the cushions with us to set up if we have to eat inside.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #13

Tennessee
Congratulations!

Love ours. We keep our "king" compartment of our 2 trifolds down. Put our back cushions and table leg in our semi-permanent camper called our home living room (groan, don't ask). We use the bottom cushions for a xtra 4 inches as the "box springs." More comfortable than our beds in our home.

I love the mattresses except we sink in very far trying to crawl in on our knees. We sleep with our heads facing the back because the TV is on the left back corner. Sooo trying to get turned around 360 to get out again a real chore. We are getting better at it.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:46 PM   #14

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I found that a simple and comfortable bedding solution was for me to make a custom topper. With simple sewing skills you, or a trusted sewer, could do the same. I cut a 2" foam mattress topper to the size of our 13' Scamp bed and then cut it in two lengthwise. I made a 100% cotton jersey (think tee-shirt fabric) cover with a long zipper for each piece. This topper is very comfortable, easy to roll up and store in the bench hatch and the covers are easy to wash. To check out more of my postings run a search using the "Search" button on the FGRV page, drop down to the Google menu and insert the words "Gilda bedding" and you will find my postings. 'Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:41 AM   #15

Tennessee
Wow Gilda what a great solution! Clever!

I am trying to upload to an album our inside bed compartment configuration w/ the 2 split 3 folds twins. I hope yall can view. I think I made the setting public. If not yall please tell me how so we can share.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...ture11525.html

Pay no attention to the person snoozing.