Damage to utilities in storage areas? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2020, 12:05 PM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Wisconsin
Damage to utilities in storage areas?

I am playing around with storage areas in our new Scamp13 to increase usable space, and am wondering about all the electric wiring, water hoses, brake equipment and propane pipes running through the storage areas. Will stowed items banging around in there potentially damage them?
I’m thinking about using cardboard boxes screwed into the osb flooring in the under seat areas to contain items stowed in those spaces. Any thoughts?
sunnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:20 PM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I don't know about damage, but if you can find the plastic cardboard boxes I would use those rather than the regular cardboard ones. That way if you get any moisture via sweating or even a leak your boxes won't disintegrate.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our Casita has some exposed wiring and water lines in the storage areas. I have some of those 2' X 2' foam floor pads that connect together like puzzle pieces. I cut one down to fit tight over the lines and wiring. I also use those foam pads between bikes and other items in the pickup bed.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:37 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
I am playing around with storage areas in our new Scamp13 to increase usable space, and am wondering about all the electric wiring, water hoses, brake equipment and propane pipes running through the storage areas. Will stowed items banging around in there potentially damage them?
I’m thinking about using cardboard boxes screwed into the osb flooring in the under seat areas to contain items stowed in those spaces. Any thoughts?
watch out around electrical stuff like the power panels and converters you don't want to hinder ventilation for this stuff. Forget card board boxes use small plastic storage bins with the o-ring tops much easier to nest and things stay contained. mostly bug and rodent proof and water tight if your plumbing turns into a sprinkler. every thing aft gets bounced around allot so don't store sensitive stuff back there. in a Scamp 13 you will have creative packing to do or get as big a tug as you can drive. I use a pick up or a small suv so I can take what I can not over load the trailer and not have to endure 2 hours of unpacking the trailer and setting it up at the end of the tow. The smaller the trailer the bigger the tug you need.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #5

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Our Casita has some exposed wiring and water lines in the storage areas. I have some of those 2' X 2' foam floor pads that connect together like puzzle pieces. I cut one down to fit tight over the lines and wiring. I also use those foam pads between bikes and other items in the pickup bed.
The foam flooring seems like a good material to use in the storage areas. Could you give some details about how you used it to protect the lines and wiring?
sunnyone is offline   Reply With Quote