Dangerous/other rest stops not to go to. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2020, 04:31 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Dangerous/other rest stops not to go to.

I've been reading the Safe rest stop thread and have agreed with several that have been included. Have any of you stayed at rest stops that you felt were a bit on the sketchy side? I've stayed at some in Nevada that you could hardly even call a rest stop.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #2

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Boonies of South Dakota

I've been out painting in some locations that give me the willies. I once spent a week painting at a lovely state campground an hour from Pierre, SD, along the Missouri river. No one but I camped there for the entire week. A few drove through at night sans camper. It was very remote, lovely, but very isolated.

I kept expecting a ranger, some camper to show. I wouldn't do it now. Guess 10 years older makes one more cautious.

Btw, I saw Hymer under your collection of campers. That Oxygen is a great looking camper. What Hymer did you have?
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:50 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I can assure you that significant criminal activity occurs at some rest stops.. usually near metro areas and often involving prostitution.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:54 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistChic View Post
I've been out painting in some locations that give me the willies. I once spent a week painting at a lovely state campground an hour from Pierre, SD, along the Missouri river. No one but I camped there for the entire week. A few drove through at night sans camper. It was very remote, lovely, but very isolated.

I kept expecting a ranger, some camper to show. I wouldn't do it now. Guess 10 years older makes one more cautious.

Btw, I saw Hymer under your collection of campers. That Oxygen is a great looking camper. What Hymer did you have?
I had the Hymer Touring Gt that is my avatar. I just sold it. Great camper but we couldn't make the tiny bathroom work for us.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:03 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I can assure you that significant criminal activity occurs at some rest stops.. usually near metro areas and often involving prostitution.
There is a rest stop west of Coeur'd'lene, Id that is pretty good today but wasn't always that way. Back in the early 90's there were a group of men drilling holes between the stalls and meeting other like minded men for extra curricular activities. When they got busted it was a huge scandal as several who got caught were members of the local high society.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:15 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've spent many many nights in rest areas and never had a problem. I prefer rest areas to Walmart parking lots.

Also I don't want to pay for few hours sleep when my taxes have already paid for rest areas.
Rest areas I've stayed a night iin are in Oregon, Idaho, Washington, California, Nevada, Texas, And New Mexico.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:40 AM   #7

Registry
For the most part Washington, Oregon, and Idaho rest stops are awesome. In fact several Washington rest stops have dump stations which is a bonus, I've never stayed in a California rest stop even though I travel thru Cali pretty often. Utah has some really nice rest stops but I've never overnighted. Nevada on the other hand, and it pains me to say this, has a couple decent rest stops but for the most part consist of a wide spot in the road and a construction grade outhouse. They are starting to improve but considering all the 90-100 mile stretches with no facilities I'd hope for better.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #8

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
There is one on I-80 near Vallejo, Ca that I would not suggest to anyone other than trucker. I had rest a few hours or I would have gone on. It has everything most people don't want, but it is just outside the bay area and a good place for a trucker to stay.
This could have all changed since I used it.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:21 AM   #9

Name: BJ
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21' Formerly 2015 Escape 19'
Wisconsin
There are few rest areas where I would NOT stop, but finding a space is not always possible, particularly at peak travel times or on main routes, like I80. Most of the main rest areas in South Dakota have free dump stations and potable water. The one outside Chamberlain, west of Rapid City and west of Wall SD are really nice, and often full. Truck stops and Walmarts are different. Occasionally there is a decent Walmart, but they are beginning to restrict overnight stays.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:38 AM   #10

Name: Bill
CA
Rest Stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I've been reading the Safe rest stop thread and have agreed with several that have been included. Have any of you stayed at rest stops that you felt were a bit on the sketchy side? I've stayed at some in Nevada that you could hardly even call a rest stop.
It has been my impression that rest stops are not for overnight stays. In fact, I believe all in California have signs prohibiting them. During daylight hours, there are usually plenty of other travelers around. If I pull into one at night with very few people, I just keep on going. Even though I've been retired over 25 years, I'm still the skeptical old cop. And I hardly ever carry a fire arm with me.

Bill
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 Layout B
Washington
I drove across Wyoming on I-80 a few years ago. I have never seen such nice rest stops. Excellent facilities, good water, and they all have wifi!
sweendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:57 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damp Scamp Tramp View Post
It has been my impression that rest stops are not for overnight stays. In fact, I believe all in California have signs prohibiting them. During daylight hours, there are usually plenty of other travelers around. If I pull into one at night with very few people, I just keep on going. Even though I've been retired over 25 years, I'm still the skeptical old cop. And I hardly ever carry a fire arm with me.

Bill
What's posted in California is time limits usually around
12 hours.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:00 PM   #13

Registry
The nicest rest I've been in was in North Eastern Texas. the drawback to rest areas is the truck noise. But to be have a place to stop and sleep a few hours I can put up with that.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog View Post
I drove across Wyoming on I-80 a few years ago. I have never seen such nice rest stops. Excellent facilities, good water, and they all have wifi!
That's good to know, any one in particular.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:29 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:

Bill
Ever since they arrested the Washington DC sniper and his accomplice in a rest stop outside of DC I've always looked at the other vehicles skeptically. Literally anyone can be in those other vehicles.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #16

Name: Rita
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD; 2017 Toyota Highlander with tow package
Kansas
I've found west Texas rest stops on the Interstates to be quite nice. The new ones have tornado shelters, charging stations, and AC/heat, with parallel parking spaces for RVs separate from the trucker pull-in spots.
rlsooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:37 PM   #17

Name: Bill
CA
CalTrans rules for rest stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Ever since they arrested the Washington DC sniper and his accomplice in a rest stop outside of DC I've always looked at the other vehicles skeptically. Literally anyone can be in those other vehicles.
I just went on line for the California rest stop rules. There's an eight hour limit according to the CalTrans site.I was both correct and incorrect. The signs at the rest stops do say that "overnight camping" is prohibited, but then parking under eight hours is legal. Confused?

This is an entry by Legal Beagle:
According to the California Department of Transportation, it is legal to have your car parked for up to eight hours in a 24-hour period in a rest area. However, it is illegal to "camp or pitch a tent." If you are merely taking a nap under eight hours long, it is most likely legal. But, if you consistently sleep in the same spot or have any items outside the car, a judge or officer will most likely determine your activity is camping which is illegal. If your car is a larger van or RV then it may look more like camping to the officer in which case you could be told to leave, given a ticket or even arrested.

https://legalbeagle.com/12305435-ill...alifornia.html
Damp Scamp Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:49 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
I just went on line for the California rest stop rules. There's an eight hour limit according to the CalTrans site.I was both correct and incorrect. The signs at the rest stops do say that "overnight camping" is prohibited, but then parking under eight hours is legal. Confused?

This is an entry by Legal Beagle:
According to the California Department of Transportation, it is legal to have your car parked for up to eight hours in a 24-hour period in a rest area. However, it is illegal to "camp or pitch a tent." If you are merely taking a nap under eight hours long, it is most likely legal. But, if you consistently sleep in the same spot or have any items outside the car, a judge or officer will most likely determine your activity is camping which is illegal. If your car is a larger van or RV then it may look more like camping to the officer in which case you could be told to leave, given a ticket or even arrested.

https://legalbeagle.com/12305435-ill...alifornia.html
I would suggest you find the definition of camping. From what I understand camping when it comes to rest areas is when you put up a tent or put ls=awn chairs out. deploy your awning, Some places include putting slide outs out. Be careful and you know the rules.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #19

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
The rest stops on 101 north of Santa Rosa, Ca are, but in good condition and have always been safe. The one near Trinadad on the north bound side is more like a is much like a date use park, but for 24/7 use. It has a dump site. This is good since Patrick's Point SP 3 miles away does not.
This is a nice area.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:52 PM   #20

Registry
One year I left las Vegas about noon heading northwest towards the coast. I was on a 2 lane road north of Susanville when I got pulled over. The officer wanted to know if I was ok or had been drinking because I appeared to be wandering a bit on the road. I told him no I was just tired and when I see headlights I have a natural response to pull to the right a bit. He told me in no uncertain terms that he wanted me to stop at the next rest area and not drive any further until morning. He was the nicest officer I've ever encountered out on the road. (In an earlier post I mentioned that I never spent the night at a California rest stop, lol apparently I lied.)