Decided to order the Oliver - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #241

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
That is one of the excellent attributes of the Olivers with all holding tanks installed between the hulls. Offers protection as well as freeze prevention.

Thats chilly for weather for the panhandle of FL. Odd its been in the 40's, 50's with a few spikes into the low 60's here above the 45th parallel in the rockies. Have only had a few frost within the last several weeks.

Happy camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
26f here in NW Florida last night, but the Ollie was a toasty 69f when I checked. I plugged in the 1500 WAT cube heater set on lowest temp and the double hull construction with insulation did the job.

Did you know that all the wet areas in the Ollie are inside the hulls and not hanging underneath. What a terrific feature.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:24 PM   #242

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
I don't mean to hijack this thread but it seems to have evolved into the Oliver section of FBRV so if anyone wants to have a look at some interior shots of my Legacy II browse over to http://emeraldcoastcamper.com/ and click on the Oliver tab.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:19 AM   #243

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We did get a chance to tour the Oliver facility on Wednesday. What a great group of people. All employees were friendly and knowledgeable and it was great to see Olivers in various stages of assembly. I know an Oliver is definitely in our future.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:18 AM   #244

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Did you have any trouble with the road? Were they working? They were telling me they were closed up and couldn't let me come.

Pisses me off that they say I can't get my trailer, yet they are giving plant tours??
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #245

Registry
Ron - we had to pull our truck into their building in order to get out and do the plant tour. The lots at the plant and showroom were too icy to walk or really drive on. We had to use 4WD so we weren't slipping around too much just to get into the building. In fact, Alicia had us meet her at the production facility rather than the showroom because the showroom was less accessible. I think you're doing the right thing waiting until all the ice melts. The roads were icy, too, and from what I could tell Oliver wasn't working at full production staff due to the inability to get around, especially in outlying areas. Had we been picking up we certainly would have waited until the roads were better, especially when towing.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:34 AM   #246

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha D View Post
Ron - we had to pull our truck into their building in order to get out and do the plant tour. The lots at the plant and showroom were too icy to walk or really drive on. We had to use 4WD so we weren't slipping around too much. In fact, Alicia had us meet her at the production facility rather than the showroom because the showroom was less accessible. I think you're doing the right thing waiting until all the ice melts. The roads were icy, too, and from what I could tell Oliver wasn't working at full production staff due to the inability to get around, especially in outlying areas. Had we been picking up we certainly would have waited until the roads were better, especially when towing.
OK. I'm just antcy I guess. Plus I'm loosing $1200 a day in lost revenue waiting around.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #247

Registry
I don't blame you for being antsy. I would be, too.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:40 AM   #248

Florida
Wow. $1200 a day. You must be a lawyer. LOL.

Last night and tonight we driveway camped at a relatives home near Atlanta. Sleet, snow, and temps in the 20s. We were so cozy in the ollie. I turned the furnace on rather than the ceramic heater because I was concerned about water in the tanks freezing. I wonder if the furnace keeps the basement warmer than the inside heater would? Any ideas on this. There would be some heat loss from the ductwork which would provide some warmth, whereas heat from the inside source would have to permeate the fiberglass walls.

It is preferable to use electric heat when possible (and free) in order to save the LP for when you really need it.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:50 AM   #249

Registry
David/trumpetguy: I asked this question on your blog, but I'm interested to know how you hung the pictures on the walls of your Ollie?

Ron: I sure hope you get to pick up your trailer soon. Today?
Old 02-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #250

Florida
I know Oliver is iced in because Robert Partee emailed me from his home yesterday saying he could not get to work.

Marsha. When I had the Casita I drilled holes in a lot of places for rivets, but with the double hull of the Oliver that is not feasible...besides I would not want to mess up the beautiful fiberglass finish.

I have used Industrial strength Velcro to hang all the pictures. You can buy it at any home store, or even Walmart. Be sure to use only the industrial strength. It is cheaper to by a larger amount from Amazon. There are so many uses for it you will appreciate having more on hand.

The lamp is held down with double stick tape from 3m

Thank you for checking my blog. I am new to blogging and have a lot to learn.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #251

Name: Eric, aka Permit Bob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull#68
New Mexico
David,

Yes, in really cold weather say <20', if you're using a "cube heater" with full hook-ups, I'd run the furnace.....some to be sure and keep that space warm.

The path that the uninsulated furnace supply ducts takes to the forward bathroom, travels inline with the plumbing. The two rearward ducts that exit at the floor, in the twin models, also supply ambient heat to the space between the two shells and is purposefully left uninsulated. They, the forward thinking folks at Oliver, planned it that way.

I've used the in-house furnace, and cooked for three days in 20/40 degree weather and still had propane left in the one bottle (20lb. tanks) and never touched the other bottle. Never had a notion of feeling cold.

However, using a "cube heater" while having full hook-ups is a pleasure. Although significantly quieter than most other furnaces, you don't have to listen to the unit kicking in.

These trailers are soooooo far superior to what most are used to with a fiberglass unit. The thought and research that the people at Oliver have taken to produce these units truly is over the top. It's all insulated down there.

I'm guessing that if you're only using a cube heater that not much heat would make it's way through the inner shell into the floor area below (hot air rises). That's the reason that the ductwork is not insulated, to keep that lower space between the shells relatively warm.

All being said ......... use the trailer and enjoy the fact that, "You go where there are no hotels".

permit bob
Permit Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #252

New Mexico
Marsha,

You might also try these tapes available from Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Foam Tape

Most people refer to them as "double sided foam tape". They were developed by 3M for NASA.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #253

Florida
Bob,

A thoughtful and well stated reason to use the furnace. That was my feeling as we camped in freezing temps for the first time last night...let the ductwork carry the load. I just wanted to get some confirmation from experienced campers.

Most of our Winter camping is in NW Florida where it gets chilly but rarely freezes. I am considering replacing the cube heater with a Delonghi oil filled radiator. We use the 1500 WAT version at home and like it a lot. The smaller 1200 WAT version should provide a quiet constant heat with less electric draw.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #254

Florida
Bob,

Does your handle imply you fish for Permit.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #255

South Carolina
Why not put a small cube heater down below?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #256

Florida
Ron,

Good idea. May have to add a receptacle but Oliver is good at that.

By the way Ron. There are a few enhancements I am going to do in March while the Solar is being installed. You may want to discuss with Tommy, or Dustin while you are at the plant.

A means of keeping the bathroom door open. The heater doesn't quite do the job in the head so we prop the door open. Unless you are PERFECTLY level it will swing. I am going to ask about a magnet system attached to the Dinette seat base.

Additional coat hooks. For dog leash, towels, ball caps, clothes line, dish cloth, etc.

Outside switch for the porch light. If you come in late and forgot to leave the lights on it can be very dark in the campground.

I know your unit is built, but these are some minor enhancements that might be added without much trouble.

Robert. Are you listening?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:31 AM   #257

New Mexico
With a fly rod, on a flat, artificial flies only. Southern Belize mostly, however, due to economy had to back off on my trips down there.

Are there other fish in the ocean?
Old 02-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #258

South Carolina
Command hooks. Nice metal ones are $10 and if you decide you don't like the placement, you can just peel off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2015, 04:55 PM   #259

Name: Kelley
Trailer: Wilderness
Ohio
That's what l was thinking Ron we use them in our trailer we have now and they work great.
Masterstilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #260

Florida
The Ollie hooks are just so classy.

Tags
oliver