Decided to order the Oliver - Page 15 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #281
Commercial Member

Trailer: Oliver Legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I'm going to be reciting this to myself on our maiden voyage in a few weeks. Thanks!
DITO on that!
Robert Partee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:49 PM   #282

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I dramatically changed my driving habits after I installed Scangauge II device to my car. No more driving with speeds more than 75mph (too much fuel consumption) and no more braking when I see blue flashing light. I just ignore police car sitting on the road's shoulder, I'm driving within their tolerance speed range.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #283

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Is Scanguage different from the instant mpg my truck computer calculates?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-28-2015, 12:42 AM   #284

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I use a Scan Gauge II as well. It reads directly from the same computer that supplies your vehicle's gauge info.

Have you plugged in the parameters of you vehicle? I think they're mostly for calibrating the gas tank to know how much fuel is left. I dont use that and watch mainly the current MPG, the Average, the RPM and the temp gauge. I display those four continually.

As someone else mentioned, if your vehicle doesnt already provide the mpg, it's amazing to watch the difference between speeds- ie MPH. I was able to test upwind and downwind on a trip. Try THAT sometimes and it will blow you away at the difference going directly into a 20 mph wind than it is going WITH the 20 mph wind. Based on my 4 cyl and my 13' Scamp, I saw a 4-5 mpg difference! That's a huge difference in my book.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:05 AM   #285

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
SG II calibration is needed not for left fuel display only, but for precise MPG display too.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #286

Florida
Coming home from Stephen Foster CG yesterday I experimented with using Tow/haul mode at highway speeds. My prior understanding was that this mode was for hills or mountains. At 70 mph the instant mpg readout was actually 2 mpg better staying in constant Tow mode than not. My assumption has been that due to the increased RPMs while in Tow mode the mpg would be lower, but experience proved otherwise.

Towing 5,000 Oliver with Chevy Avalanche 5.3 with 3:42 rear end and limited slip differential. 12 mpg at 70 mph.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #287

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
Coming home from Stephen Foster CG yesterday I experimented with using Tow/haul mode at highway speeds. My prior understanding was that this mode was for hills or mountains. At 70 mph the instant mpg readout was actually 2 mpg better staying in constant Tow mode than not. My assumption has been that due to the increased RPMs while in Tow mode the mpg would be lower, but experience proved otherwise.

Towing 5,000 Oliver with Chevy Avalanche 5.3 with 3:42 rear end and limited slip differential. 12 mpg at 70 mph.

and what would it be at 55 mph- does it increase?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #288

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
If you look in your manual, there should be some statement in there that essentially states to use tow-haul mode when your load is 75% or higher of you maximum rating. The Oliver is probably right in that range for your Avalanche.

Essentially what tow-haul mode does is let your engine rev higher by adjusting your transmission shift points.

Whether you see any difference in fuel economy will depend on the terrain. In rolling hills, I'd think by keeping revs higher, you could see some improvement. On flat land, then you should see either a drop or no difference.

With my Duramax, I've found that I do much better economy wise running between 70-75. Believe it or not, 55-60 mph is about 2 mpg lower economy. Efficiency sweet spot I suppose - my engine is 400 hp and 785 ft lbs of torque! Tow-haul mode, to be effective would need a load somewhere north of 14,000 lbs.

I've also found, in rolling terrain, you don't want to use cruise control. It makes the engine work much hard (thus using more fuel) by reving up hills and holding speed going down the other side. Your foot is a much better way to manage the engine in hilly places.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #289

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
With my Duramax, I've found that I do much better economy wise running between 70-75. Believe it or not, 55-60 mph is about 2 mpg lower economy. Efficiency sweet spot I suppose -
Now that is interesting. I'm going to have to experiment with different speeds on our maiden voyage in a couple weeks. Towing 3000 miles should give us a pretty good idea. Of course, a different setup and a different engine might produce completely different results.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #290

South Carolina
Your ecoboost Ford will also have it's sweet spot. The nice thing about them is that they have a torque curve very similar to the deisel. Lots of low end grunt to start up and climb hills.

What you want to look for on your truck while towing is to stay out of boost for sustained periods. So I would suspect that getting up to speed quickly and then backing off the throttle would be the way to go. Not what you'd want to do with a normally aspirated V8. So it will be even more important to stay off the cruise control.

Will be interesting when you report back your results.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #291

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
Your ecoboost Ford will also have it's sweet spot. The nice thing about them is that they have a torque curve very similar to the deisel. Lots of low end grunt to start up and climb hills.

What you want to look for on your truck while towing is to stay out of boost for sustained periods. So I would suspect that getting up to speed quickly and then backing off the throttle would be the way to go. Not what you'd want to do with a normally aspirated V8. So it will be even more important to stay off the cruise control.

Will be interesting when you report back your results.
Thanks Ron, I'll do that. I am on the Escape forum alot more than this one and I've already promised those folks a detailed trip report. I can also post it here.

By the way, your new Oliver is simply STUNNING. You said "go first class or don't go at all!"
Old 03-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #292

Name: Cindy
Trailer: researching
Arizona
Hello Everyone!

I have joined FGRV to ask all of you, who are familiar with primarily the Oliver, but also the modern Casita, trailers (I won't be looking at older Casitas).

These trailers are often described as "4-season," and also described as built well enough to live in. I accept the latter statement, but I need to know about the 4-season part specifically.

I'm not too worried about being in very cold climates with either of those trailers, however, I am wondering how well you can keep it cool in the extreme summer....specifically in AZ.

Have any of you tested your Oliver, or Casita in AZ in the summer? Did you have to do anything special...upgrade to a beefier AC, insulate the windows, anything different like that?

If you did try this can you tell me specifically the conditions at which you did it? For example; maybe you were in PHX in August, it was 113 out and you were able to cool it down to only 95 degrees.....something like that?

I'd appreciate any real-world knowledge you can give me on this issue!

Thanks!!
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #293

South Carolina
Decided to order the Oliver

I can't yet report on hot weather performance yet, but all the features which yeild cold weather performance should help in the same way. The insulation, dual pane windows and an adequately sized AC unit should all mean comfort in hot and humid weather.

In my opinion, the Casita is not really comparable due to it not having dual hulls or dual pane windows. Not to say that you won't be comfortable with the AC unit provided, but it may run more or longer to maintain temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #294

Florida
Before we bought the Oliver we owned a 2007 Casita SD 17. The AC unit and the Heater are both over sized. I think the RV industry does not build anything smaller so when you put the units in a smaller trailer they just put out more than you need. My issue with the AC in the Casita was that the fan never shut off. I solved this by adding a digital thermostat connected to a relay. The Ollie has a residential thermostat as standard equipment.

It is not fair to compare Casita with Oliver. Oliver is double the price and triple the trailer. No slam to Casita, or Scamp, it's just the way it is.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:22 AM   #295

Name: Gloria
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Decided to order the Oliver

Hey traveldogs,
Welcome! I Like your name! :-) Maybe all our dogs will meet someday on the road.... :-) we have been researching for a while now but the Oliver seems like a great choice....

Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #296

Name: Cindy
Trailer: researching
Arizona
Yes, Glory.....it would be great to meet all the dogs together.....Lol!

To everyone else; I discovered after I posted that Casita to Ollie is like comparing tangelos to Honey Apples.

I got to see a 2004 Casita the next day. I saw the carpeting lining...didn't like it. Plus it smelled moldy inside....especially in the bath. I figured out why, and then realized that the Ollie definitely will instead be suitable to my needs. I'm about 80% certain. Once I get to see one in person I'll be 100% certain.

Thanks for all your replies!
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:06 AM   #297

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Yo Cindy, We will be at the Grand Canyon April 19-22 then at Dead Horse Ranch State Park for the Birding and Nature Festival April 23-26.

Our trailer is new (picked up in Nov) and we have only stayed in it one night, but now we found a electrical short in the jack stand that need to be fixed before we head out.
We have a open door policy if you are in the area.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver