Decided to order the Oliver - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2014, 05:58 AM   #61

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Looking good!

How neat does the wiring end up? I'd like to see everything tie-wrapped and secured like you'd see on a boat.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #62

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Chris and Cherie have some good views here Adventures in Nomadic Serendipity

and here http://www.flickr.com/photos/smoocherie/2689708170/
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #63

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
Looking good!

How neat does the wiring end up? I'd like to see everything tie-wrapped and secured like you'd see on a boat.

Ron. The rooftop end of the wire will be in a box. It is just one 6 ga, 2 wire length from the roof into the battery box. I will trust Oliver to put the wire in correctly.

I have purchased the solar system and will install it immediately on return to my home. Two flexible 100 watt panels from Renogy, and a charge controller.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #64

Name: Steve
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 17
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
The dual awning option on the Oliver LE II was envisioned from the beginning of production in 2013. The upper body shell is molded with the provisions for mounting the second one. At least one of the original 17 footers had two awnings mounted. Seems that folks that show at craft shows use that side to display their wares.
My 2008 Olliver 17 is the one that has two awnings from the factory. It is hull #23. I have, on occasion used both. When in sunny, rainy or unshaded camping spots it comes in handy. I can deploy both sides and if it's sunny or rains, and leave the windows open to get a flow thru breeze.

hellsbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #65

South Carolina
Cool. How do you carry that yak with you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #66

Name: Steve
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 17
Florida
Quote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't done it yet, but I could carry the yak in the truck bed or on the roof rack.
hellsbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #67

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Just an FYI, Thule makes a rack system that attaches to the truck side rails and raises and lowers to accommodate items that are attached. We have one for our F150 and it works great. Don't have photos or I would post what it looks like. But they should have pics of it on their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsbay View Post
I haven't done it yet, but I could carry the yak in the truck bed or on the roof rack.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #68

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We all differ in our likes, but mine is to have some wood too. I love the warm tones associated with it. It makes me feel more comfy.

Nonetheless, the Oliver is most definitely a well built unit.
You are a builder more or less. Do you think the double hull has an advantage over single (other than insulation in between)?
Is there any reason to consider the Oliver a four-season trailer moreso than an Escape (besides where tanks are --- I don't know location in Olivers but the fresh in an Escape as you know has been moved under bed if wanted). Is there anything about the location of lines that would make the Oliver better or location of anything else for winter?
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #69

South Carolina
Cathi, many of your questions have been answered before in various threads.

But to recap, yes the Oliver is far superior as to winter service.

The double hull offer a lot of advantages:

Insulation is applied to the underside of each hull. So you have 2 layers, plus a dead air gap in between.

The dual pane windows are true dual pane and glass, not acrylic.

All the plumbing and tanks are between the hulls, as is the furnace and the water heater. These effectively heat the space where these items reside.

Besides offering thermal protection for winter weather, or summer weather for that matter (an Oliver should be much easier to cool as well), the double hull provides a VERY strong structure. All the cabinets and bulkheads are molded into that inner hull. That makes their load capacity very high, as well as no need for any penetrations to bolt in cabinets or walls.

An additional benefit of the double hull should be sound insulation. A trailer with this setup should be fairly quiet inside.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #70

Montana
Many years ago, probably well over a decade now I remember my wife and I shopping for and considering a Bigfoot which also uses the double hull design. The difference in comfort even on a winter day in MT was night and day compared to the other TT on the lot, but just as important it was demonstrably quieter inside the bigfoot compared to others. I can't imagine an Oliver being any different in either regard. As Ron pointed out its my understanding the encapsulated holding tanks should withstand cold temps much better as well, but not only that the furnace runs lines into that area for additional heat.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #71

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:

We used to take our yak camping, but it was too much trouble and people would point and laugh at us. Now we just leave him out in the pasture.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #72

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
We used to take our yak camping, but it was too much trouble and people would point and laugh at us. Now we just leave him out in the pasture.
LOL. If you leave him home, then how are you to make those summer sweaters?
Old 11-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #73

Montana
Oh my we have a "commodian" in our midst.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #74

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
This is a picture of ours taken in the pasture behind our house in Mississippi. His name is Yakkity. He usually won't talk back.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #75

Ron, I put in "Oliver four-season" and "Oliver winter" and anything but such info comes up. I had asked if anyone had experience using an Oliver in winter and no one has answered. Also looked some on the blog for that and have not seen any such posts to know if anyone has ever used it in actual cold weather. Do you know of anyone who has?

Thank you for the info. I take it there is a big space between the bottom hull and the top hull and floor. The sound advantage of ours seems great also so there is no way for me to know if it is better in an Oliver. The Oliver tanks being between hulls certainly seems very good especially with the heaters in there also. Whose windows? Ours has fiberglassed points for the cabinets, I believe, so that may be similar but someone else would know more on that.

Thank you, Rob. So many things to look at. It all helps.

Hellsbay, yours looks gorgeous and it must be a few years old now. Two awnings is a good idea.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #76

South Carolina
When I get my Oliver, I plan to do a very thorough video review, so that may shed some light on things. I also have a sound meter to test my theory on the quietness of the interior.

I'm open to ideas on an actual measure for the insulation value. R-value of the insulation material is not a good indicator of the effectiveness of this wall "system". I'll be picking up my unit in the dead of winter, so there will be ample opportunity to report on how effective it is.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #77

Montana
But can you mount him on one of those Thule Racks is what I want to know. Sure looks like the Mississippi I know, no doubt about.

You sure you haven't been down in that basement wine cellar all day? Just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
This is a picture of ours taken in the pasture behind our house in Mississippi. His name is Yakkity. He usually won't talk back.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #78

Quote:
When I get my Oliver, I plan to do a very thorough video review, so that may shed some light on things. I also have a sound meter to test my theory on the quietness of the interior.

I'm open to ideas on an actual measure for the insulation value. R-value of the insulation material is not a good indicator of the effectiveness of this wall "system". I'll be picking up my unit in the dead of winter, so there will be ample opportunity to report on how effective it is.
The air space is worth plenty on the insulation value. Maybe someone who makes the material used in Olivers can tell you that R-value to start with but as you say, there is more to it than that. The R-value on ours is low and yet it works very well.

Will be interested in whether you can video anything to do with tanks and lines and insulation.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #79

Montana
Oliver insulation

For all those concerned here is a link to the company that supplies the insulation layer for the Olivers. The company is Prodex and it is widely used in the Marine industries and other areas. I am not sure which of the two Oliver uses however.

http://www.prodexcr.com/descargas/23...0%20INGLES.pdf

Hope this helps.

Rob
Old 11-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #80

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
You are a builder more or less. Do you think the double hull has an advantage over single (other than insulation in between)?
Is there any reason to consider the Oliver a four-season trailer moreso than an Escape (besides where tanks are --- I don't know location in Olivers but the fresh in an Escape as you know has been moved under bed if wanted). Is there anything about the location of lines that would make the Oliver better or location of anything else for winter?

More or less? Don't tell my customers that.

My thought is the double hull offers many advantages, the insulation, and enclosed water tanks, as you elude too. There is also lots of added strength to it. It does however, add weight. Whether or not one likes the gloss white interior of the shell is just a personal choice.

Escape with the added insulation, and dual glazed windows, plus the added insulation you can get underneath, makes it a 4 season unit, but to use the water systems you would have to be plugged in with tank heaters.

I would definitely consider the Oliver better for winter use.

It is great that we have these different choices, each offering different options, and keeping these manufacturers on top of their game to stay competitive in their own ways.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver