Decided to order the Oliver - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #221

Name: Scott
Trailer: 2014 Oliver Legacy II
Washington
Cool

Congratulations Ron. The amazing thing to me with the Legacy Elite II is how it tracks down the highway without the need for sway bars. I can appreciate your adding the features you have listed. I don't know that folks understand the cost out the door this trailer will set one back. It is good to see your thread has many followers and leads me to think that there may be a buyer for our 2014 Legacy Elite II. You will thoroughly enjoy your purchase.
Scott in Richland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:47 AM   #222

Name: Gloria
Trailer: In the market
Florida
wow It looks sooooo good! Pls I am still researching and a newbie at this but my husband has an obsession for Airstream (expensive and I am afraid of maintenance), I want a fiberglass (Oliver tops my list) PLEASE could anyone give me some feedback on these two.... We are not handy and also think fiberglass will be easier to take care of.... Thanks y'all. and congrats it looks beautiful!!!!!!
Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:35 AM   #223

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Congratulations. Looks like we'll miss seeing your Oliver by one day. We have a tour of the factory scheduled for February 18th.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #224
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Enjoyable thread. Beautiful trailer. It seems even the draw faces are fiberglass?? Any idea how many fiberglass pieces they use? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:23 AM   #225

Registry
As in how many separate fiberglass pieces? I can certainly add that to my list of questions.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #226

Name: Scott
Trailer: 2014 Oliver Legacy II
Washington
If you like this Oliver and are interested in saving 20% from the cost of this one NEW. Please look at my posting: Scott in Richland!
Scott in Richland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #227

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
We just spent the weekend at Fort Pickens National Seashore and the Ollie sure drew a lot of attention. Three Casita owners stopped by to have a look and one even said they plan to set up a tour after looking at Setting Sail.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #228

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Havent seen a post from Ron since last Weds. I THINK his Ollie was going to be ready today. I HOPE he didnt brave this weather. We have about 2" of ice on the ground here in Tenn! VERY VERY treacherous right now. There were 30+ wrecks in and around Nashville yesterday.

JUST read where I65 at the 840 interchange has been closed due to EIGHT jack-knifed rigs! MUCH MUCH difference driving in snow than driving on solid ice my friends....

Hopefully he'll write in and let us know the progress and pick-up date....
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #229

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
You better call ahead Marsha, the ice has them shut down a day or two. Today was supposed to be delivery day for me, but the weather has other plans. So maybe Wed or Thurs depending.

The ice moved thru here in South Carolina last nite, but it's already melting off. It's a good bit colder in TN, so we'll have to see if theirs melts.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #230

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Enjoyable thread. Beautiful trailer. It seems even the draw faces are fiberglass?? Any idea how many fiberglass pieces they use? Raz
The drawer faces are indeed fiberglass, as are the fiber granite counter tops (optional accessory). As for how many FG pieces there are to these trailers I don't know, but it is a lot.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #231

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory View Post
wow It looks sooooo good! Pls I am still researching and a newbie at this but my husband has an obsession for Airstream (expensive and I am afraid of maintenance), I want a fiberglass (Oliver tops my list) PLEASE could anyone give me some feedback on these two.... We are not handy and also think fiberglass will be easier to take care of.... Thanks y'all. and congrats it looks beautiful!!!!!!
We don't have ours yet, scheduled delivery day is Mar 3rd so we're getting close. But to answer your question, like your husband I also used to have a jones for an Airstream in the worst sort of way. While I still think they look really really cool especially the interiors that fixation came to an end once I learned about the Oliver's. As for quality comparisons consider the following.

AS does not install insulated dual pane glass on any of their trailers, its standard on Oliver, there are no rivets to pop out such as in the AS. Owners we have met or known always carry a pop rivet kit with them. The Oliver like all FG trailers are very difficult to damage, not so with aluminum skinned AS and the cost to repair is very expensive. Oliver has quad shocks per axel, AS does not, and then there is the frame difference. AS are hot in the summer, cold and sweaty in the winter, or so I am told due to minimum insulation.

Granted I'm partial so take anything I say with a grain of salt but to me there really is not much comparison notwithstanding the aesthetics of the AS. I would encourage you to study the Oliver website as there is lots of technical info and build info there.

Hope this helps.

PS, oh and I forgot to mention, Olivers customer service is second to none and will customize your order to a great extent. Not sure how AS would handle this.
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #232

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The temp's not suppose to get above freezing before Saturday here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
You better call ahead Marsha, the ice has them shut down a day or two. Today was supposed to be delivery day for me, but the weather has other plans. So maybe Wed or Thurs depending.

The ice moved thru here in South Carolina last nite, but it's already melting off. It's a good bit colder in TN, so we'll have to see if theirs melts.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #233

South Carolina
Glory,

I'll give you my rundown on why I chose the Oliver over the Airstream. Please don't anyone take this as bashing the AS. They are lovely trailers with alot of desireable attributes.

On the Pros of the AS:
They are bigger - wider particularly at 8' and 8'6" depending on model.
They have alot of storage - mostly interior cabinets.
The aesthetic is beautiful if you like the retro look and the shiny bits.
The torsion axle setup is a very low slung and smooth ride. They tow very well.
They have a very active community and a network of AS only campgrounds/resorts.
They have a long history, so there is a huge knowledge base of resolving issues and deep spare parts inventory.
They are backed by a huge company, so you can be assured they will be there for you many years down the road.

Now the CONS (but PROS for Oliver)
The aluminum is very susceptable to damage - scratches, dents (like from hail) and corrossion. In the way I use my trailer, I just don't think I could keep up with the AS to keep it beautiful and perfect. The fiberglass of the Oliver is much more forgiving.

Not true 4 season capable. Many would argue it's not even 2 season capable. The insulation is old style fiberglass batt. There are picks online of old trailers where the insulation came loose and drooped down inside the walls, leaving large sections basically uninsulated. Newer trailers have a bottom skin, but I don't believe it is also insulated. The Oliver, of course has insulation applied directly to the fiberglass, and all the plumbing is enclosed inside the hull. AS does not offer any dual pane windows. It does have many more windows, but that just adds more area of no insulation.

Weak on technology and equipment options. You only can get a modest solar and inverter setup on the AS and only 2 batteries. They are just not keen on setting them up to be off-grid. With Oliver you can get 4 batteries and a big enough inverter to run everything except air conditioning. The solar panel setup is all heavy guage wire and large enough to service a large battery bank.

The AS uses a wood floor and a steel chassis frame. Very old school and a shame considering the price point. So they all eventually rot and don't have the available payload of an Oliver. My new trailer will have a 7000 lb aluminum chassis!

The AS can leak. All those connected aluminum sheets have a joint that is put together with rivets and sealant. Eventually that will leak inside the walls and will rot out the floor. The Oliver is all jointed fiberglass. The only place it can leak is at the penetration points and windows. If it does, so what. You clean up the water, seal the leak and keep going. There is no wood to rot. There is no fiberglass insulation to collect mold and have to be removed.

There are many more points, both pro and con, but these are the majors to me. Oh, and I forgot to mention price. A similar sized AS is going to be $70-$80k. That is significantly more money and a tough value proposition if you consider the above.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #234

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post

Thanks. I'll do that

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 02-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #235

Name: Gloria
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Thanks for all the information! I will give him the feedback, but thats really what I Wanted to hear! AS are beautiful dont get me wrong, And All the history behind them but so Expensive And bottom line I think the Ollie is actually a better buy for us, ínsulation is so important for me. And I think the Ollies are beautiful as Well..... Again thanks!!! Cant wait to see Ron's new Ollie

Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:57 PM   #236

Name: Eric, aka Permit Bob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull#68
New Mexico
Hi Ron,
I just picked up my Oliver Legacy II last week. You are going to love your unit! I was in it before I left the factory with ours.
Had a Casita, looked at AS, didn't buy the AS for ALL the same reasons you posted, found Oliver, flew out to TN............fell in love!!
You'll really like the twin configuration. Yes, I saw how you had them arrange the couch area (nicely done). Plenty of room and very comfortable.
Took two days to pull it back to New Mexico. Pulled through Memphis, Little Rock, Ft. Smith, Okie City and that trailer just tracked right behind and pulled just as sweet as a Georgia morning sunrise!
We spent the past weekend camping at 9,000 ft. and WOW what a wonderful unit. (It is a 4 season rig.)
I'll have more to say later, but for now I wanted you to know what a fine unit you bought. The whole crew at Hohenwald is without a doubt the best group of folks going. Everyone from Jim Oliver down to the folks that do the final detailing are all committed to producing the finest fiberglass trailers on the market.

Say hi to Robert and Alicia for me.
Drive safe!!

Best, Permit Bob
Permit Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:31 PM   #237

South Carolina
Thanks Bob. I'm on pins and needles waiting for the weather to cooperate with me to go and get her.

We are now shooting for Saturday as it will be warmer (~50 degrees) and the expected rain should wash away the ice. Robert tells me the secondary roads up that way are still iced over. So I'm learning patience.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #238

Florida
26f here in NW Florida last night, but the Ollie was a toasty 69f when I checked. I plugged in the 1500 WAT cube heater set on lowest temp and the double hull construction with insulation did the job.

Did you know that all the wet areas in the Ollie are inside the hulls and not hanging underneath. What a terrific feature.

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1424363871.914785.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  80.3 KB

Old 02-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #239

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Dave, I like your trailer name on the spare tire. Don't have a name for ours yet. Grandkids are coming from California in April, maybe they can come up with something.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #240

Florida
Thanks Stan. We have followed a Maritime theme with colors and decorations. Setting Sail pretty much describes how we feel every time we hitch up and head out. I don't know about grand kids picking a name. Mine would pick something to do with LaCrosse, or baseball, or basketball, or track. Get the picture?

Tags
oliver