Decided to order the Oliver - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #1

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Decided to order the Oliver

I decided to pull the trigger and buy an Oliver. I sent in my order sheet today and have a February delivery.

Very excited. I ordered most of the options. Gettting the solar, big inverter, AGM batteries. Decided on a twin model, with one side the upgraded mattress, the other side set up as a sofa. Since these are touted as to lasting a lifetime, I decided to get it well equipped to use in my retirement in around 10 years.

As I posted in another thread, I want to use this RV as lodgings in my work and it will see winter conditions. I'll be selling my fifth wheel after I get my new trailer. After considering how much unused junk I've been carrying around, I don't think downsizing will be very tough.
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
I decided to pull the trigger and buy an Oliver.

I'll be selling my fifth wheel after I get my new trailer. After considering how much unused junk I've been carrying around, I don't think downsizing will be very tough.
Sounds good Ron. Downsizing seems to be the trend these days. Folks are getting tired of dragging a house around.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Ron we were lucky enough to tour an Oliver Legacy at the LBL Rally in Dover TN last week. It was beautiful! Words can't describe! I believe the couple that brought it just took delivery. That is one classy trailer. Congrats!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
What a great trailer - Congrats! Will the factory send you any update photos as your Oliver is being built? We'd love to follow the process.

And Be sure to post photos of you and your new Oliver on pickup day with a BIG on your face!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #5

South Carolina
It's very exciting. For a February delivery date, the build should start in January unless it gets moved up (which is fine by me). Hopefully there will be some pictures then.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #6

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Ron,

Congratulations on "pulling the trigger" for your Legacy Elite II. You'll discover that not only is the trailer built to last a lifetime, but the factory support just keeps going on, and on, and on . . .

I've known of a couple, who, upon buying one of the rare, second hand 17'ers, asked the factory to check it out. The guys at the factory went over it with a fine tooth comb to ensure it was still up to their standards so it would give the new owners all the enjoyment they deserved.

In my case, I keep track of new improvements they offer on trailers and return to the factory for them to upgrade my 2008 version with some new toys. My latest upgrades were to swap out the 100W solar panel for a 160W, and to change my Jenson sound system for a Furion 3 zone - Bluetooth technology system with an integrated sub woofer. Oh, and my favorite upgrade, the aluminum double step!

Your new work site lodgings will come with a forever support package . . .

Enjoy,

Pete
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #7

South Carolina
When I first agreed to do these jobs out of town, part of it was that I could use the opportunity to do some travel on the weekends and see the sights, so to speak.

Well, with the gigantic 5th wheel, that quickly became a royal PITA. So I'm really hoping that with the compact dimensions of the Oliver, and the onboard self-contained facilities, I can finally do those weekend trips around the vicinity of wherever I'm working, instead of just deciding to drive or fly home for the weekend.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #8

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Congratulations on your choice I'm sure you'll love it, but I have to ask how were you able to get yours in the hopper so fast?

Rob
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #9

South Carolina
They said they are constantly adjusting production, and they had a Feb opening.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Nice, I don't think you will be sorry that you got what you wanted, and bought quality. I am about the same distance out to retirement as you and don't know if my (heavily reworked) Scamp will do me then or not. Keep us in the loop on your new egg.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 2000 4Runner Lmtd
Quote:
I'll be selling my fifth wheel after I get my new trailer.
What is your fifth wheel? Brand, size, etc.... how much will you be asking?
sherri s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #12

South Carolina
It's a Palomino Columbus 320. New 2 years ago it was $84k. It has all the options - leveling, genset, washer/dryer, satellite, etc. Probably ask $45k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Old 10-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #13

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
We will be leaving a week from tomorrow 10/22 to pick up our Legacy II. We also got the solar panels, and the 2 steps, which was a added option, but went for the T105 batteries. We had originally ordered the AGM batteries but changed to T105's after reading HandyBobs's Blog. You really need to read that if you have not already, very informative. We also found a pre delivery inspection list by Tom Boles, Unavailable Angelfire Directory that will be a big help in the check out process.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:50 AM   #14

South Carolina
Yes, I've read Handybob's blog. He's kinda a nut, but there is some good info in there.

I struggled with the battery choice, but in the end decided to go with the AGM. They are more expensive (~$500 more), but no maintenance and by all accounts, longer life. Supposedly, they are immune from freezing, unlike lead-acid.

I'm also getting the 320 watt solar array, the 2000 watt inverter and the front generator hookup for my Honda. I like that with the larger inverter, you can power all the interior outlets instead of having dedicated inverter only outlets. I decided against getting the king dome and instead will use a dish tailgater. I'm having a regular powered antenna installed (like this: King Jack)

Please take some pictures of your new rig. Very exciting! I can't wait for my delivery date.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:00 AM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Ron,

Congratulations. We take delivery of our new Ollie November 25 and are so excited. After a factory tour where we saw the quality of construction firsthand we knew this was our next home away. Our Casita SD17 will be for sale in December. We will miss her but the extra room and comfort will allow us to live in comfort while we explore this beautiful land.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #16

South Carolina
Awesome. I guess there is just a small (tiny) group of us so far. I've been doing alot of internet searching for pictures, reviews, articles, youtubes, etc. and there is very little to nothing look at.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Old 10-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #17

Florida
Here is a link to a guy who bought the first 22. There are some minor changes to our models but still a good group of photos.
http://oliver.hewus.com/Trailer/Othe...r?startitem=25

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ron,

Personally I love the Oliver! I've seen several and to me their style/quality puts them in a group I call the "Airstream of fiberglass RV's". They're very classy trailers with durability in mind.

Oliver quit building campers in about '09 due to the economy. So that has to contribute to why there are fewer of them on the road.

With that said, as you can see on my post, I'm a Scamp owner. While I live only 30 miles from Oliver (Columbia), I drove to Backus to pick up this trailer. It's small...something I can pull with my existing 4 cyl. I dont think Oliver is even building a 17' yet? So, the size kicks me WAY out of the saddle to begin with. And, HOW I wish they would consider building some smaller trailers...maybe down to at least a 15'. Where it stands, their prices just sail way beyond what I would be willing to invest at this time. So, I think the size and pricing will limit their clientele. Which to me (and probably alot others) is unfortunate.

I hope this doesnt come across as putting Oliver down....it isnt meant that way at all. I'm just saying that I wish Oliver would consider another size and at least test the market with it...sorta like the "Bambi" of Airstream? Dunno...just wishful thinking. (Yes, I understand the time-consuming mold build that would have to take place). I had to do ALOT of mods to my Scamp to make me happy with it. I dont feel I'd have to start out with ANY on an Oliver based on the few I've had the privilege of viewing.

Congrats on your purchase and you will be a proud owner for years to come!

Quote:
Awesome. I guess there is just a small (tiny) group of us so far. I've been doing alot of internet searching for pictures, reviews, articles, youtubes, etc. and there is very little to nothing look at.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #19

Florida
I am pretty sure that Oliver will be adding a 17 to the line next year, but it will still be pricey.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #20

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I wish Oliver would consider another size and at least test the market with it...sorta like the "Bambi" of Airstream? Dunno...just wishful thinking. (Yes, I understand the time-consuming mold build that would have to take place).
Didn't Oliver once make a smaller trailer? Those molds might still be around? I don't know anything about Oliver's business but can speculate that they are selling all they can build currently so are concentrating on making one product and making it very well. Some others (not naming any names) could emulate that business model.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver