Decisions - Decisions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
At this time, 4 long years ago we were desperately hunting for our first fiberglass trailer with the help of many members here. In early May of 2006 I was able to snag a wreck of a boler American on ebay. Since then I've been slowly restoring it and documenting it here for all to see.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=19930

Since we can't store it at home during the winters, I work on it during the summer and hunt down parts and plan my next projects during the winter. Early in the new year we acquired a 2nd Rhodesian Ridgeback, and although they live and play well together, they don't seem to want to sleep too close together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pups_playing.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	27614

The old girl, just does not think there is enough room on a full size couch for the two of them. We aren't sure if the two of them will even fit on the front bunk of the boler American. So we went hunting for a bigger trailer. Initially thought a Trillium 4500 would fit the ticket. Then we found a 16' Uhaul VT in N. California that was posted for sale here. We finally arranged for someone to do an inspection and booked it with the seller. Then we researched shipping across the continent. The trailer sold the day before our inspection. All was not lost though. While researching the VT, I found a post on Uhaulcamper.com where someone 2.5 hours from home posted last fall they were thinking of selling theirs. But they were not sure.

The board settings would not let me contact them. But with the help of Paul Chet and CindyL from FGRV we were able to contact the seller. We've since seen the trailer and left a deposit. We arranged to pick it up at the end of next month. Here are a couple of pictures of our newly acquired VT:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm_out.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	27615

Tomorrow we pick up our boler American from storage. In 2 weeks we cross the border to pick up the fresh water tank I found to fit after 3 years of hunting. That was shipped to a FGRV member since the seller would not ship to Canada.

This summers projects were to install all the new plumbing and electrical components I've acquired over the years to the wires I ran while doing the other reno's. Next year was to replace the front and rear window gaskets while redoing the gelcoat. Then everything would be finally finished. Considering storage is a potential problem for us, what would you do? Why?

-Put the boler American up for sale with all the parts?
-With or without the solar charging system (or make it optional)?
-The same for the brand new stereo.
-Put a rush on connecting everthing over the next month and sell her early in the season?
-Do a quick paint job to make the outside look better. (replacing the window seals?)
-Wait till next year, do the gelcoat and take pride in bringing a restoration project to completion?

Each of those puts a different value to the trailer. Some make it more saleable, some less depending on the buyer. The other factor is that the boler American is rare in comparison to the majority of trailers here. They were only made for about 6 months with a total estimated production of about 500 before they became other brands like the Scamp, ECO, and Love Bug. I know I've only encountered somewhere between 10 and 20 others through FGRV.

Please help me make up my mind. PM's and emails are welcome if you don't want to post your comments. I might even be open to offers.

Roy

Attached Thumbnails
Sm_in.jpg  
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I removed the "goodies" from my Burro and set the price lower. I would only have to replace the goodies in the new rig, and there is no guarantee that the goodies would meet a new buyers needs or wants. The buyers of mine got a scaled down version they seemed happy with.

Your idea of the goodie option is a good one. Offer it at two prices, but make sure you note the goodie value to justify the higher price point.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree with Gina.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
[b]Considering storage is a potential problem for us, what would you do? Why?

-Put the boler American up for sale with all the parts?
-With or without the solar charging system (or make it optional)?
-The same for the brand new stereo.
-Put a rush on connecting everthing over the next month and sell her early in the season?
-Do a quick paint job to make the outside look better. (replacing the window seals?)
-Wait till next year, do the gelcoat and take pride in bringing a restoration project to completion?
I would keep the solar charging system and the stereo for use in the VT16.
Then I would do a quick paint job, replace the window seals, and hopefully sell the Boler as soon as possible.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Maybe you ought to decide what you want to add to the VT first. We took the new stereo out of the Burro and have never used it then (although someday I will get Kevin to hang it in the kitchen or maybe somewhere else in the VT. I am not satisfied using the crank radio that we currently have there and I like a little local radio when we have nothing else like the situation when we are in SD).

Maybe you ought to keep the Boler and hook it up tandem if the dogs won't sleep together. One trailer for each dog.

The VT looks nice, especially since Lynne described it as being half-buried in the mud. She and her husband did a nice job. Is your privacy room door white? Ours is the same color as the sliding cabinet doors. The closet door is that color too.

Both the hubby and I are getting the itch. Only 3 more weeks for me until the end of the semester!

CindyL
Old 04-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
I'm pretty sure the weight of the two trailers would exceed our towing capacity.

The doors to the washroom and closet were painted to match the walls (from the colour of the cabinets) They said they did it to "open it up" and it does.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #7

Quote:
I would do a quick paint job
Another option just presented itself, there are quite a few posts about deoxidizing and polishing up the original gel coat.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Carol:

It does look bigger than ours. We have lots more stuff in ours. We put up a kind of small hammock across the back where we toss our clothes in a vain attempt to keep the front table from becoming cluttered when we camp.

We also leave our bed set up all the time, because it is simple to do. Most of the time, we have our screen house set up, and we spend our time there, so I quit taking the bed down.

CindyL
Old 04-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #9

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
We sold our little Burro, which needed some attention, as it, which meant it was very usable and water tight, but left room for a new owner to do what they wanted to make it their own. They planned to paint it, though we personally would never have done that, liking the original look and knowing the gel coat only needed a good polish. We also sold it before it was even listed, someone read on the forum our plans to buy our Escape and contacted us. The price was very good and they were happy and we were happy to pass it on and have room in our life for the new trailer.

I guess I'm suggesting - I believe the market right now is for affordable and basic. Make it tight, maybe a polish and good seals around the window, and put it out there and see if it sells as is. My guess is you will want to put your time, money and energy into your new trailer - which looks great!

Consider the Boler your learning trailer! We had to put a lot of work into our Burro when we first got it but learned a lot about FG trailers and what we wanted and needed. It served us well for 12 years and we sold it for what we paid for it, a good deal for someone in today's market, a good exchange for us!

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Restore both professionally & keep both. It sounds like your dogs are competing for and need more of your time...
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Exclamation

Quote:
Restore both professionally & keep both. It sounds like your dogs are competing for and need more of your time...

Believe me, when your dog gets 6 sets of intials after it's name by 20 months, it has definately HAD a lifetime of your time.

Although.... a trailer for the dogs and another for us .......
Old 04-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 1987 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Congratulations on your new dog and trailer! We're not sure what you should do about the Boler. but look forward to seeing your new rig and ridgeback down the line.
Jim Bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:24 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
The picture doesn't do justice. Those dogs ar over 6' tall when standing on their back feet.
Nice trailer Roy!
As to cleaning and polishing the outside or a quick paint, it wouldbe like adding some... 'MAGIC'.
A buyers first impression means a lot.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
The picture doesn't do justice. Those dogs ar over 6' tall when standing on their back feet.
Nice trailer Roy!
As to cleaning and polishing the outside or a quick paint, it wouldbe like adding some... 'MAGIC'.

Now James..... I am 5'8" and when either of them jumps up and gives me a standing hug, they are still looking up to lick my face. And they CAN (if they choose) curl up into a less than 2' diameter pillow.

Just don't want people to think they are great dane sized!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
As does a seller's return on investment.
I made my earlier recommendation based on what I thought might get you the most bang for your buck financially. A lot will depend on how you measure your return. I sold my Compact Jr. for less than 25 cents on the dollar invested (Labor NOT included) because other intangibles of the particular transaction made up the difference. In a new light, cleaning and polishing might be a better option...
Old 04-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Another option just presented itself, there are quite a few posts about deoxidizing and polishing up the original gel coat.
I agree with Gina... two prices and I agree with Roy... wash and wax... no paint. The trailer is 38 years old. Anyone looking for a trailer of this vintage knows it's not going to be shiny. But it can be clean and usable and look good going down the road and a place to make great memories. You'd also do the future owners a favor by replacing the front and rear window gaskets... ala Kevin's YouTube videos. And that will be a good selling point.

Boy, the things folks do for pets ... buy them a new travelin' home
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Boy, the things folks do for pets ... buy them a new travelin' home
Thanks Donna et. al.

Y'all have to remember we got into these fiberglass trailers because our previous dog would not step foot into a tent since the floor "moved". We even tried leaving the tent up and putting her food into it. After a couple of days watching her starve, we gave in and started trailer hunting.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 AM   #18

Trailer: Boler 1984
I dunno Roy. That female put her paws on my sholders and looked me in the eye while I met her last year. Is it my imaginaton or her intimidation that makes her seem bigger.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #19

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
The new VT looks great Roy and Carol...

Of course, everything for me in the decision would really depend on financial capability to carry both trailers and whether I could continue to spread the love between two masters. If I needed to sell or I no longer felt I had enough passion to work on the two trailers continuing to restore the Boler for eventual sale then I'd definitely sell the Boler now while season is upon us.

Poli-glow or something similar, would be the definite and easiest route to the exterior prep and would return $$$ in a sale. Stage the interior and take good pics which I know you would do well. Then offer to sell with a detailed listing of everything that was done to date and what is needed to be done yet. Remove the solar and "Goodies" as Gina recommended.

You've done good work on the Boler to date and people will recognize that if you present it well. I think it would sell at a good price with an allowance for anything that is necessary to be completed.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #20

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Poli glow and a for sale ad....if you get sentimental over it I'll take the VT and you'll be back to doing your happy restoration!
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote