decisions, decisions on options when buying new - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
We are buying a new 13 Trillium made by Escape Trailers. We are having the AC with heat strip put in but would like to wait on other options when we can afford them. What are classic options that need to be done in the factory and would be costly after a year or two. Is a hot water heater necessary if we don't have a shower? Could that be done later or is that something that needs to be done in the factory? Is it silly to have an awning done when the need arises or should that be done in the factory?

Thanks for your help...

Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Generally people don't cook much (if at all) in these 13 footers so I could not see the use of the hot water heater. You do want the fridge/furnace/stove installed. I don't know if the Trilliums will have the dining/bunk shelf as an option or standard but if it's an option you will want it - it's a very useful storage area. The closet needs to have a good shelf system or it's useless. We installed one of these in our closet but others use a canvas soft shelf.

I would recommend getting the awning installed as they may be able to install it without any future issues of drilling holes in the rig. However, if the awning is like the Outback's I notice it is substantially narrower then the bag awnings.

My two bits.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Lloyd, I can't give my opinion on the water heater cause for me a trailer without a bathroom is not an option. Personally as far as hot water for dishes, that can easily be done on the stove, saving your space and weight. But I am sure others will chime in on the pro's and con's. As for other factory options, I am of the belief that if you think you might ever want it, go for it at the factory. I think after add on's can be issues. As for the awning, our Casita didn't come with it (bought used) I personally think the original owners should have had one put on as they wanted one. They just didn't want to pay the factory price and never got around to it. We will be having it done as soon as our first Casita camping season is finished, don't want to miss out on any trips having it installed . In my opinion the factory knows the trailer better than any rv place I could take the casita to have a awning installed so I worry about them getting it right. But since running to Rice Texas this winter is not an option I will have to just trust that the place that installs it will do a good job. It's just my thoughts. Congrat's, Enjoy! Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #4

Booker...fridge and stove come with it.....I won't get the optional furnace since the AC has a heat strip and we can use a ceramic heater to boost the heat in winter. I should have probably searched this topic before I posted it. I am sure this topic has been discussed. I will check that out now. Have any oppinions about an outside shower? Seems like I could always run a line out from the sink if we needed a summer rinse off outside. That's a guess since I have never owned an RV aside from a pop-up camper.

Lloyd
Old 09-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
scamp and casita folks with a high profile type of vehicle like 4x4 opt for a high lift trailer axle to better match the tow vehicle or give offroad clearance. Were you given a general idea of build time for your escape? Weeks ...months...one year?

Also what made you go for the 13 footer. Last I read you were leaning toward the 15 footer. Thanks in advance.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
We are buying a new 13 Trillium made by Escape Trailers. We are having the AC with heat strip put in but would like to wait on other options when we can afford them. What are classic options that need to be done in the factory and would be costly after a year or two. Is a hot water heater necessary if we don't have a shower? Could that be done later or is that something that needs to be done in the factory? Is it silly to have an awning done when the need arises or should that be done in the factory?

Thanks for your help...

Lloyd
You need to talk to Reace. They can't retrofit the gaucho bunk for instance, because they install mounting blocks when the trailer is built. I suspect that a lot of options are much more expensive to retrofit.

baglo
Old 09-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #7

Quote:
scamp and casita folks with a high profile type of vehicle like 4x4 opt for a high lift trailer axle to better match the tow vehicle or give offroad clearance. Were you given a general idea of build time for your escape? Weeks ...months...one year?

Also what made you go for the 13 footer. Last I read you were leaning toward the 15 footer. Thanks in advance.
Ken, we were decided on the 15 footer until we stepped into an old 1979 13 foot Trillium. It really felt big enough for our camping style. Then we started thinking about how sweet it would be to travel with something that small. So we gave up on the bathroom idea and we realized that we never really needed one anyway. On our tenting and backpacking adventures we are fine with the woods or the campground toilet so why would we need one now? Sure saves some money and it will fit in the garage a little easier too. It also gives us the option of an extra bed. We have three grown sons but one might want to tag along in the future. The 15 ft. Trill does not have the extra bed (because of the toilet). If we realize that it is too small we can always sell it and go bigger someday. I am actually looking forward to using the porta potti on those infrequent evenings when I am too lazy to walk to the campground bathroom.

Hope that explains it.

Lloyd

Lloyd
Old 09-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Lloyd,

If you are planning to always use hookups then an electric heater will be fine. If you plan to get off the beaten trail in the spring or fall then I highly recommend a propane furnace. 12v systems just can't handle true heating duties.

Looking forward to pics when you get it.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #9

Booker, we are definitely the type of folks who look forward to winter camping, at least 20 degrees and above. I will definitely look into the furnace if you think the AC heatstrip and supplemental electric heater in a 13 ft. rig is not enough. Thanks for the advice.

Lloyd
Old 09-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #10

Lloyd, in my search for a fiberglass we had also looked at new and had asked the options question on this as well as a few other camping/rving forums. The overall answer to my question, which honestly I didn't expect, about an outside shower was overwellming "must have" everyone gave reasons for it being so wonderful. Not only for a quick clean up after a long hike, bike ride, etc. Dog / Kid washing. Oversized pots and pan washing etc etc etc. Robin
Old 09-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Lloyd, The Road Toad has been to the Florida Keys five times, the Atlantic coast twice, and the south west (Texas to California) twice.
Essentials: Awning, Fantastic fan, screen door, easy-clean floor ( we have vinyl planks) and a good 'frig.
We use a ceramic heater or a coleman "cat" when needed (this winter in Texas and Arizona it was every night!)...and retain the space where the furnace would have been as storage. Under the sink is our shelving for toaster, kettle,pans & utensils where the furnace on the old '73's went.
Think easy clean, easy set-up, fewer things to break, as criteria.
We use four Honda Civic jacks as levellers...c/w with rechargeable electric drill and jack "hook' in chuck; quick disconnect hose (coil) with pressure reducer; HD electric extension cord with adapter for the 30 amp socket (we don't need 30, but those old 15 amp plugs are usually past their 'best before" at most CGs.
Never needed A/C in winter camping or summer coastal camping.
We indulged in a Thetford "electric flush" Porta Potti c/w hassock style vinyl cover...it slides underneath the table during the day.
Never used the outside (solar) shower...most state parks and nearly all private ones won't let you discharge grey water on the ground!
Some type of drying rack on rear bumper...again lots of places don't let you tie clothes lines to trees.
A good electric hotplate is easier (and cheaper) than running the stove.
A portable table is useful for BBQ/Coleman stove/ hotplate. (we rarely cook indoors)

There you have it...the Trillium essentials from someone who has put over 30,000 miles on the old '73.
I suspect that you know most of my hints...but regardless, I know you'll enjoy your upcoming purchase!
Happy camping...Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Lloyd, in my search for a fiberglass we had also looked at new and had asked the options question on this as well as a few other camping/rving forums. The overall answer to my question, which honestly I didn't expect, about an outside shower was overwellming "must have" everyone gave reasons for it being so wonderful. Not only for a quick clean up after a long hike, bike ride, etc. Dog / Kid washing. Oversized pots and pan washing etc etc etc. Robin
Robin, that's why we all need these forums. I don't need to be searching in the dark for answers. I will take your info on the shower and not count it out. It seemed like a real frill that few would use. Does this mean I need a hot water heater now? Are these showers really strong enough to be enjoyable?

Thanks Robin,

Lloyd
Old 09-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #13

Lloyd, I thought as you did, plus my thought was I was gonna have one inside but only after posing the question did I even see the benifit of it. Hmmmmm, as far as the hot water heater I guess that you would have to ask yourself if you would take a whole shower outside (the do sell little shower tents that could easily be set up beside the trailer) or would you just use it for quick clean up's that don't need the hot water? Robin
Old 09-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Lloyd, so you are going with the 13' after all. Good choice.
You will save a ton of gas.

Why are you getting a Canadian Trillium? Has Tom sold all the American ones?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Lloyd, so you are going with the 13' after all. Good choice.
You will save a ton of gas.

Why are you getting a Canadian Trillium? Has Tom sold all the American ones?
Roger, It's very confusing.....we are buying from Tom Young in the U.S. but he is now having them made by Escape Trailers in Canada. They are then shipped to Tom and we will pick it up stateside. We gave up on the Outback when we found out that Tom was up and running with someone to crank them out (Escape). Besides, The Outback people weren't that helpful over the phone and Tom was eager to have my business. Hope that explains it.

Lloyd
Old 09-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #16

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Lloyd,
The decision about a hot water heater/outside shower, etc. should be made early because the plumbing would be very difficult (if not virtually impossible) to add as an after thought. The same thing, but to a lesser degree, holds true for options like extra 12V or 110V outlets and lighting.
As Alistair mentioned, a Fantastic Fan should be on your "must have" list.
The majority opinion, over many years, has been to include as many options as your budget can possibly afford because it increases the desirability of your unit when it comes time to sell.

We hope you are enjoying the process...
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Lloyd... One thing I liked about our Escape Hatch is the Maxxfan 12V. powered vent fan... it's better than A/C and has a built in rain hood(can be left open in a down pour). Our water heater is dual fuel 110V.& Propane and we use it all the time. It's only 6 Gal. so it doesen't take up too much space. The propane furnace we used once in early May...the 110V. cube heater we already had and use the most. The black glass windows are great to have as they keep out the suns heat. The outside shower we have never used...but might if camping at the lake!!! The bike rack ready hitch receiver on the rear bumper will be used when we get a bike rack and bikes!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:13 PM   #18

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
include as many options as your budget can possibly afford because it increases the desirability of your unit when it comes time to sell.
Absolutely!

My 17 foot Burro came with every option available at the time of it's build. Many items I probably would NOT have ordered with it if I were the original owner are now in the "How did I live without that?" category.

I had a heater in my 13 and knew I wanted that. I bought the rig for the bathroom, and the hot water heater is a pleasure to use even if it isn't bathroom related. Theres nothing like easy clean up. Clean up is going to happen.. the shorter the time spent prepping for it means more time outdoors.

I never had an awning before, but it sure is nice to deploy it in seconds and not have to mess with easy ups etc.

I still rarely use the air conditioner, but am grateful it's there when it suits my needs.

With all the bells and whistles, my camping style was enhanced. I still boondock as a preference, but it is nice to be able to go somewhere as a stop over or whatever and use all the comforts of home if I want.

Remember, there is no law that says if you have the stuff, that you actually have to accommodate them and limit your style so that you can. You can still boondock and rough it as you choose.. and when you don't, you don't have to!

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I guess it's a battle between philosophy and economy. We decided to buy the trailer and RAV and either pay for it for as long as I continue to work, or take it out of the equity we have in the house when we sell and move to our retirement home ( which will be twice the size and half the price ).

Even though we adopted the philosophy, I held back on some options and wish I hadn't. I've since ordered the stove cover and the screen room and new propane tanks ( I saved all of $40 by providing my own tanks that can't be filled in the U.S. ).

So, I say, scrap the idea of the 13' and get a 17' with the bath and shower and exterior shower ( we've used ours for a quick rinse and you want hot water for that ). Get the tinted windows, Max fan, three burner stove for when it pours rain for four days and dual propane.

Keep in mind that as you get older, your tolerance for discomfort becomes limited. Otherwise, you'd just buy a tent from Canadian Tire or WalMart.

baglo
Old 09-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Tough question to answer really, with so many different camping styles individuals like. But, you asked for opinions here's mine.

Get any option that requires something to be affixed through the fiberglass shell. The manufacturer has the tools and skills to do the job correctly. For instance, my Scamp didn't have an awning and I wanted one. Purchase for the awning and getting the brackets made (that I wanted) came to around $850+. AND, I had to do the work. Stressful.

I was going to take all the propane stuff out of my trailer, because I'm always hooked up to electricity. But nature happens. I prefer to have the propane stove/furnace/3-way refrig AVAILABLE in case my home loses power during a long winter storm and I have to live in it for a while. That maybe a consideration for you as well.

Options are what will set your trailer above others if/when you decide to sell. I agree with Gina, it give YOU options on YOUR camping style too.

Best of luck in your decisions.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote