dialysis - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2021, 12:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp
dialysis

Is it safe (for the patient on p. dialysis) to camp (Scamp 16) ? Real question is: Does anyone do camping trips when on Peritoneal Dialysis. I know I can take all the supplies I need for 2-3 days, but has anyone actually done this ?
Thanks....
jhornsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hi! Here's my thoughts....

....you have the needed knowledge of how to manage your dialysis.
....you have the needed supplies for your dialysis
....you have the desire to go camping

You are already a winner!

Go for it. Life is short and getting shorter each day you don't go camping.
Better peritoneal than hemo! You'll have the chance to enjoy what you like (camping) in an environment you like, while doing what it is that is necessary for your health....thereby allowing you to enjoy what you like in an environment you like. etc. etc.

I have seen folks with portacaths, IV poles and TPN, folks with big dressings that needed daily (or more frequent) changes and folks still bearing their radiation markers, all camping.

If I were you...I'd go for it.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:31 PM   #3
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
dialysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
Hi! Here's my thoughts....

....you have the needed knowledge of how to manage your dialysis.
....you have the needed supplies for your dialysis
....you have the desire to go camping

You are already a winner!

Go for it. Life is short and getting shorter each day you don't go camping.
Better peritoneal than hemo! You'll have the chance to enjoy what you like (camping) in an environment you like, while doing what it is that is necessary for your health....thereby allowing you to enjoy what you like in an environment you like. etc. etc.

I have seen folks with portacaths, IV poles and TPN, folks with big dressings that needed daily (or more frequent) changes and folks still bearing their radiation markers, all camping.

If I were you...I'd go for it.
I agree with Theresa and if you do go, which I hope you do, you can do some research and just locate places along the way where, if you need help, you can get some. Most towns today have the VNA even if they don’t have a hospital or clinic, you might feel more comfortable if you know that if you needed it, support was available. Also, it might be good to let someone you’re close to who knows your situation, know where you’re going so they could help you find resources if you need them. I don’t want to say you’re going to have problems, but everyone does occasionally and it’s good to be prepared. But “that said” Go and be glad you didn’t miss having the opportunity to do it. Missed opportunities create sad memories.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:35 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
Missed opportunities create sad memories.
This says it all..... And my signature below
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:56 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
We were at Reel Foot state park a month ago and our neighbor had some kind of dialysis equipment with her and doing her thing while we were outside talking to her husband. Seems like it can be done.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp
OK....that's a good indication that it can be done (safely).
jhornsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:40 PM   #7
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
dialysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
I agree with Theresa and if you do go, which I hope you do, you can do some research and just locate places along the way where, if you need help, you can get some. Most towns today have the VNA even if they don’t have a hospital or clinic, you might feel more comfortable if you know that if you needed it, support was available. Also, it might be good to let someone you’re close to who knows your situation, know where you’re going so they could help you find resources if you need them. I don’t want to say you’re going to have problems, but everyone does occasionally and it’s good to be prepared. But “that said” Go and be glad you didn’t miss having the opportunity to do it. Missed opportunities create sad memories.
I was a VNA nurse and I can assure you, they know the resources and the doctors in their area, they can locate supplies you might need. You’ve probably already had experience with their services.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote