Dilemma/confused - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-29-2020, 11:12 PM   #1

Name: Jodi
Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Texas
Dilemma/confused

Please can someone help me figure out what to do with my beloved 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe that has become my home as I am going on a 2 yr stint in the Peace Corps. 73 and a happy single nomad needs the kind of advice one would get from a partner. Do I sell her? Do I store her? Even though Iím attached, I could buy another one when I get back and not have the worry or would I be shooting myself in the foot. Enclosed storage will cost a little per month but sheís be snuggly and safe. Any ideas, insights, advice? Iím park hosting in Santa Cruz and plan to visit family in Austin before taking off in June. If donít sell will drag her to Tx...anyway the saga goes on.
jodimckenna56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:28 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
In my case I would sell it for top dollar, storage, insurance, etc. is going to cost something and you have to put the pencil to it and see if it works for you. Biggest problem is when you return home a new Casita is going to cost more as they do go up in price every year and used is going to follow the same price increases, plus used can be hard to find at times. One thing to think about is if the trailer sets for two years and not used, you could have some repairs that will need to be done before you use it again, no guarantee on what this could cost, could be $50, or $1,000 dollars. I myself would sell it and buy again when I get back home, I don't get attached to things like trailer, auto, my home, all can replace with something newer and better.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:47 PM   #3

Texas
Thank you for taking the time. That is very helpful. I will try and sell it. Relieved.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:28 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape21 DeJa View pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I, on the other hand recommend keeping it. Take the battery out and other than new tires you will have a new camper, ready to camp, when you return. The fiberglass units hold up well in storage as evidenced by 30 year old models still in use. You would return and immediately start camping without ordering or trying to purchase another used unit which cost more in 2 years.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:31 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Iíd probably do the same. If it were a hard-to-find model or if I had made extensive and/or specialized modifications, I might keep and store, but stock Casita 17ís are fairly common.

Your biggest challenge is selling a trailer while youíre living in it. To get the best price and a quick sale you need to empty and stage it to a certain extent.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:33 AM   #6

Texas
I like this idea as well and that’s why I am in a bit of an inner quandary. Thank you, and now I’m back to square one. Makes perfect sense, though.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:40 AM   #7

Texas
By doing the same, are you referring to selling it as trainman suggested? It is standard and I have/am emptying it and cleaning just in case I get good bite. So you say sell, right?
Old 01-30-2020, 07:45 AM   #8

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodimckenna56 View Post
Please can someone help me figure out what to do with my beloved 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe that has become my home as I am going on a 2 yr stint in the Peace Corps. 73 and a happy single nomad needs the kind of advice one would get from a partner. Do I sell her? Do I store her? Even though Iím attached, I could buy another one when I get back and not have the worry or would I be shooting myself in the foot. Enclosed storage will cost a little per month but sheís be snuggly and safe. Any ideas, insights, advice? Iím park hosting in Santa Cruz and plan to visit family in Austin before taking off in June. If donít sell will drag her to Tx...anyway the saga goes on.
Sell it now while you have the chance.
You may take a completely different direction after 2 years away....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:00 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
By doing the same, are you referring to selling it as trainman suggested? It is standard and I have/am emptying it and cleaning just in case I get good bite. So you say sell, right?
Yes, thatís what I meant. The other post slipped in as I was typing. In addition to cleaning inside, get the outside shiny. If thereís some chalkiness, I recommend Meguiarís Marine Fiberglass Restoration Kit, under $40 on Amazon. Itís a three-step process involving a ladder and a bit of work, but you might be able to hire it done.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #10

Texas
I polish it several times a year with Mothers wax which seems to have kept it deoxidized and shiny. I do have to hire for the very top. But, thank you for the support in letting it go.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:29 AM   #11

Texas
Right or I may never come back. Letting it go kinda means I’d be essentially homeless...not in the sense of poor but you get my point. Like a previous respondent I may need to just get unattached psychologically. Sorry...for the blah blah but this interaction has helped be sort this out. ❤️
Old 01-30-2020, 09:17 AM   #12

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
As a person also in their 70's...I took a bad fall a few years ago and kinda messed up my back. I kept thinking, "It will get better, with time, and I can use my camper". It's been 7 years, it's NOT better, and I've been paying storage fees all that time.

Sell now and save the $$$ to invest in your NEW , trouble free trailer when you're ready for it. You might even decide by then that a Happier Camper or some other style fits your THEN needs better!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #13

Texas
Luv this response and I think it actually helped push me over the edge on my decision. Sell. Thank you.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:04 PM   #14

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
You call it "beloved" and say you're attached. Only you can measure the value of those. I can't tell you what to do, but one way to help put it in perspective is to ask yourself which you would REGRET MORE:

Selling it and wishing you hadn't, or

Keeping it and wish you had sold it.

Sometimes visualizing how your future self might feel about a decision you have to make today can settle your mind.

There's a lot of good advice in previous posts. Penciling out the expense of storing it is especially good. Don't forget insurance.

Also, is it possible to store it with the family in Texas, assuming they can be trusted. (I have family I wouldn't trust to care for a toaster.)

Just my thoughts...

--Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #15

Texas
And thank you for those provoking thoughts. Going back and forth sell/keep has become dizzying. I’ve full timed for several years and so yes it had become my home and I’ve loved every minute. But it’s time to say goodbye and find us both a new home. This forum helped me make that decision. I think I knew, but I’m good at second guessing myself since no one to bounce things off of. Thnx Doc
Old 01-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #16

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Another thing I do when trying to decide whether to sell or keep something is to ask myself which I would rather have: the item or the money.

I recently went through that with a C5 Corvette that I dearly love but seldom drive. Of course, I'm not pressured by plans such as yours, so I can put off deciding. It took me a while, but I finally did decide I'd rather have the cash. Once the decision was made, I no longer felt ambivalent or had the need to second guess myself. It's settled.

Settled is good.

Best of luck to you Jodi. I admire your contribution to the Peace Corps.

--Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote