Dip-Stick Light Folk - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
You definitely can see some stars at Joshua Tree:
That is nice John. Do you remember the settings for the shot?
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
That is nice John. Do you remember the settings for the shot?
Nikon D700
20 seconds @ f:4
ISO 2000
17mm - 35mm f:2.8 lens at 17mm
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Nikon D700
20 seconds @ f:4
ISO 2000
17mm - 35mm f:2.8 lens at 17mm
So how long of an exposure would you need to be able to detect the movement of the stars.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:27 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
So how long of an exposure would you need to be able to detect the movement of the stars.
depends entirely on the focal length. very wide angle, up to around 30s is usually OK. 'portrait' kind of mild telephoto focal lengths, even a couple seconds is too long.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:32 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Xplore X22
Smith Valley, Nevada
All of this is why I enjoy camping in remote Death Valley, or the wilds of Nevada, more than anywhere else. There is never someone there trying to make a point, just because they can. Exactly why I go in the first place.

Milky Way from horizon to horizon, coyotes singing in the distance, a burro hee-hawing in the night, but then so quiet the only noise is the sound of my neck as I turn my head. The vast expanse of the high desert. A mysterious and wondrous place. A reset. A place where time doesn't make sense.

The next time you feel the human element is hard to bear, go farther. The other experience is there waiting.

I don't go to tolerate, I go to wonder.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:17 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
depends entirely on the focal length. very wide angle, up to around 30s is usually OK. 'portrait' kind of mild telephoto focal lengths, even a couple seconds is too long.
Depending on how critical you are about streaking, I try to keep exposure times under 20 seconds for a 17mm lens, however, as John noted, the longer the focal length, the shorter exposure is necessary to prevent streaks.

Of course, there may be times you want streaks -

4275 seconds (a bit over one hour), 17mm @ f: 4 & ISO 100. Nikon D850
Aimed at the North Star at Dome Rock, Quartzsite, AZ.
Attached Thumbnails
_JV20230.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:40 AM   #27

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Attachment 139737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osos1 View Post
Last night of a 3 week desert trip was in Belle CG in Joshua Tree. A "Sphincter Boy"(AKA Sprinter Van dude) parked nearby 2 nights ago. Proceeds to immediately hoist his 2 long streamer flags. Hmmm, ok. But come nightfall he then hoists a 20 foot pole at rear center of his rig with a upward streaming LED light show. Unbelieveable and evidently is not allowed according to Park staff at Visitor Center. What is wrong with people?
No mention of a flag, just an upward streaming LED light show. No mention of American flags, just long streamers.
As to flying American flags I am all for it, but I see no need to fly them at night with lights as this does cause more lights to irritate your fellow citizens.
Today merely flying the flag does not necessarily mean that the flyer of the flag is a patriot any more.
We have persons hugging the flag when they not only never served in the military, nor in any service that aided others, but actively avoided service when the country called.
If you want to fly the flag I applaud that.
Here is a picture of my small flag and camper in action.
A little too high to hug
Attached Thumbnails
20200707_194713.jpg  
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:46 PM   #28

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
things were drifting into an angry political place so some posts were removed. Probably better to focus on the issue of campground curtesy and light pollution than to get into specific opinions about the American flag. Or the Canadian flag.

It is true that curtesy to the flag requires it be lighted when flown at night. Which seems to argue for not flying it at night when in a campground where many are there to enjoy the night sky or wilderness.

Just as respect for the other campers would dictate not having porch lights and hanging lanterns and rope lights going all night in the same situation.

If one is in a state park with street lights and a busy road along the boundary it may well be less of a an issue to have outside illumination going. Even then people are trying to sleep, some in tents or pop up campers that don't block light as well. I would think that after the time the parks evening quiet hours start might be a good time to shut off unnecessary lights.

I feel one can respect the America and the flag best by respecting the other Americans around you. Or foreign guests. Many people come half way around the world to see the wonders of our country. Not a light show from fellow campers.

Having a right always means one has some corresponding responsibility that goes with it. I think in the case of flying the countries flag one is responsible to do so in a manner that is courteous to the flag and respectful of the rights of others to enjoy our wilderness areas and get a good nights sleep. Respectfully taking the flag down at dusk and raising it in the morning seems like it would accommodate everyone well.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #29

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I will say firing a cannon when striking the colors in the evening may be frowned on in most if not all parks. Although I have found kids seem to enjoy the cannon firing a fair amount. Thier parents, not so much. :-)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:04 PM   #30

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osos1 View Post
Last night of a 3 week desert trip was in Belle CG in Joshua Tree. A "Sphincter Boy"(AKA Sprinter Van dude) parked nearby 2 nights ago. Proceeds to immediately hoist his 2 long streamer flags. Hmmm, ok. But come nightfall he then hoists a 20 foot pole at rear center of his rig with a upward streaming LED light show. Unbelieveable and evidently is not allowed according to Park staff at Visitor Center. What is wrong with people?
I think I had his cousin camp next to me in Ohio. Guy loved country music. OK, I kind of like it too in small doses. Anyway, he decided it was his duty to share it with everyone else, at ear drum splitting volume. Kept it going all evening until about 11PM.

I tented in a KOA one time, the tent sites were right next to the bathhouse. Anyway, a group of idiots decided they should meet at the bathhouse at 2AM and have a LOUD discussion. I finally asked them: "Hey, its 2AM? How about you go to your campsite and continue there?" It was 3 against 1, fortunately, they left.

Common courtesy is not that common....
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:40 AM   #31

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
"Common courtesy is nit common" so true.
I wonder about those who feel like it is necessary to hang lights out and leave them on all night!
We have had to make light darkening curtains for all of our windows due the proliferation of various night lights, decorations and "porch" lights left on all night where the campers can't even see them from the inside of their rig.
I can understand turning on that porch light if you have to walk to the restrooms at night, but most do not.
Respecting others is a dead issue today it seems.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #32

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I will say firing a cannon when striking the colors in the evening may be frowned on in most if not all parks. Although I have found kids seem to enjoy the cannon firing a fair amount. Thier parents, not so much. :-)
A few years back, my wife and I were walking around Ft Huachuca where I was stationed in 69-70. When retreat was sounded, I stopped and came to attention without even thinking. Some things you never forget and I anticipated the cannon shot but it startled the heck out of her.

Back on topic, when camping my flag goes up when I get up and flies until five PM (or earlier if we'll be away from the campsite late in the day). We generally boondock to avoid excess light and noise from neighbors.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light