DIY upholstery with glue... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #1

Name: paul
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
DIY upholstery with glue...

Hi all,

I'm renovating my Trillium and would like to update my upholstery - preferably without the expense of having it professionally done - and I don't sew myself nor do I have access to a heavy duty sewing machine.

Does anyone have experience using thermally activated sewing glue such as "Heat n Bond" on the seat cushions. Does it hold up?

Paul
paul paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
When we needed our cushions redone we contacted our local adult education center that offered a glass on upholstery.... we talked w/instructioner who had a number of students looking for a project
The person that did ours did a fantastic job... in fact they even had a huge selection of sumbrella fabric.... our cost including materials was a small donation to the school and some home made lasagne.. she even made curtains and a porta potty cover as a joke
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I tried the iron seam tape to repair a pair of pants and it didn't hold very long. I also used seam glue from Michael's (sorry, I don't remember the name). It held on a small zipper repair but did not hold a name patch on a waterproof jacket. I think the fabric makes a big difference.

My wife made covers for the Campster out of sheets with straps and Velcro to hold them in place. Some sewing was involved, but not like you would need to replacement cushion covers. She did matching curtains as well.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #4

Name: paul
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
When we needed our cushions redone we contacted our local adult education center that offered a glass on upholstery.... we talked w/instructioner who had a number of students looking for a project
The person that did ours did a fantastic job... in fact they even had a huge selection of sumbrella fabric.... our cost including materials was a small donation to the school and some home made lasagne.. she even made curtains and a porta potty cover as a joke
That sounds like you got a great deal. Unfortunately I'm in a fairly small town so no community college here.
paul paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I wouldn't waste money on fabric glue.
Tried it for hemming some drapes. Didn't last long.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Yes we did... it was a high school adult education geared toward students as well as adults as a hobby or for those that wanted to make upholstery a career
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #7

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp
MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul paquette View Post
Hi all,

I'm renovating my Trillium and would like to update my upholstery - preferably without the expense of having it professionally done - and I don't sew myself nor do I have access to a heavy duty sewing machine.

Does anyone have experience using thermally activated sewing glue such as "Heat n Bond" on the seat cushions. Does it hold up?

Paul

I really like this method for a cheap, easy way to update cushions. No sewing involved and can be done in an afternoon. However, If you haven't recently priced the cost per yard for quality upholstery fabric, prepare yourself.

XBeatzX is offline   Reply With Quote