Do any of these fit really tall people? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #1

Name: Faith
Trailer: Shopping
Virginia
Do any of these fit really tall people?

Hi, my husband and I are currently shopping for an RV, and we love these... the only problem is, he is 6'4". Wondering if we'd be setting ourselves up for years of disappointment w a fiberglass RV. So, does anyone know if any of these is tall enough for him? Or, are you super tall, and OK in one of these?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Faith
faithswins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Check the specifications at the manufacturer's websites. For example, the Egg Camper states it has a 6'-7" ceiling, An Escape 21 is listed as 6'-5", their 5.0TA 6'-4" to 7'. It is worth also checking with some owners since air conditioners, lights, etc can reduce clearance.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #3

Virginia
Thanks! Yes, I guess I am hoping that tall current owners will respond and tell me what they think. (And I probably should have also specified that we are looking for something fairly small lengthwise. I realize I might to be more specific than that, but that's about as specific as I can get right now.)
Old 02-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I am nearly 6'-3" tall and have an Escape 19' with an air conditioner. I have sufficient headroom to stand up throughout most of the trailer except for directly below the air conditioner (where I will sometimes bang my head).

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I really wouldn't worry all that much abut your height disadvantaged hubby. About 95% of the time inside a small FGRV will be spent sitting down or going from one seat to another, and most learn (eventually) to duck going out the door (but "Ducking at the door" applies to most all of us anyway!

If you hold out for a taller unit your search may be much longer and the purchase price somewhat higher than other opportunities. Don't hold out for roof A/C, that takes away a bit

And BTW, what will you be towing with, that too will have a bearing on what you can select from.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:49 PM   #6

Virginia
We have a Tacoma so I THINK towing won't be an issue w any of these trailers. That makes sense about sitting down most of the time. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #7

Or, I forgot to mention, you can look into a pop-top such as my 1973 Hunter where standing room is in the range of 80".

Old 02-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or, you can just get older. I think I'm at least an inch shorter.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #9

Almost any Tacoma can tow a 13'er, but some may be limited to that size. What is the year of and the driveline in yours?

Although they are rated at 3500+ lbs, owners of earlier 4 cylinder Tacoma's report less than satisfactory results when towing much over 2000 lbs

Old 02-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bob is correct, it's relatively and surprisingly easy to live in a trailer that's not as tall a you are. We did it for 6 months without any real problem. However when we purchased a fiberglass trailer we purchased one with head clearance for me.

I'm certain an Escape would work with an occasional ducking 'required'. The tallest trailer is the Eggcamper. I believe Bob Rugg has one for sale. He can be contacted via a PM. The following link may help.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-to-67970.html

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #11

Virginia
Thanks everyone! The truck is either a '14 or '15 (I can't remember) V6 with 4x4. That will tow any of these, right?
Old 02-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #12

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Our Oliver Elite II is 78.5 Inches inside. Subtract about 1.5 inches under the air conditioner.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #13

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I have a eggcamper it is 6'7" inside. I'm 6'6". I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-05-2015, 05:15 PM   #14

Towing with Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithswins View Post
Thanks everyone! The truck is either a '14 or '15 (I can't remember) V6 with 4x4. That will tow any of these, right?
Yep, that should be OK, but check what the owners manual sez about towing and compare real world (actual) towing weights for different trailers on the chart in the General Chat forum to be sure.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I don't agree with those who say not to worry about the trailer having a little less headroom than needed for standing up straight. My only complaint with our new Escape 21' is that I can't quite stand up straight in it, and I find it quite annoying to have to walk around hunched over. Maybe if we had a shorter trailer I wouldn't find it so annoying because then there wouldn't be that much room to walk around in anyway. I'm a bit over 6'4" tall and the Escape does NOT have the advertised 6'5" of headroom. We did have an EggCamper and it had more than enough interior height for me.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My husband is 6'2" and I have watched him struggle with low clearance areas for over 30 years. In one of the TT, a 24', I watched him hit his head a few times. I don't think that people who don't have this issue really understand.

Every time I see someone post that you don't walk around that much, I mention it and for him and he just shakes his head. Boom! So many other things on one's mind to bother with step 1, step 2, step 3, duck!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #17

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Yes, it really depends on the person. My husband is continually standing up in short trailers even though I tell him to sit down and hitting his head.
He hates being in trailers he can't stand up in without bending his head.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:48 PM   #18

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 17' Casita Liberty
Pennsylvania
I'm 6' 4"and stay in a 17' Casita Liberty because of the longer bed. I really don't mind kinda ducking over, I thought it would bother me, but really doesn't. The camper is so small you can't move real quick in any direction!
Andrew Schlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #19

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I'll say it again Eggcamper long bed and lots of head room!!!!!!!
I don't think any one here is as tall as me (6'6") and I am sick of hitting my head. In my egg it never happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #20

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
My 6'2" husband finds our '89 Bigfoot comfortable. He does have to watch his head around the knob that opens our fantastic fan, and going in and out the door! We do not have a/c. He is the only one who uses the shower in our trailer.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote