Do you bring music when camping like these folks? I have no talent, but do play a mean mp3 player. ;-) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #21

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Cell phone with Pandora and a bluetooth speaker....

1) when we are in the mood for music
and
2) as long as nobody else can hear it
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I carry a High Spirits Navajo flute that I play poorly enough that I only use it when no one is around. As to other sources, I am still searching for a radio with the sensitivity of the JVC Arsenal KD-AR959BS I had in my 17B. If I can find one when I get back to NY, I'll probably change out my current radio for one.

I like to listen to NPR, both for news & music, and they are often far between so a good receiver is necessary. If I have internet capability I use my phone & the receiver to listen to a couple of favorite stations - WRVO in Oswego (my member station), WXXI in Rochester, KJZZ & KBAQ in Phoenix. My last resort is an XM Radio receiver that is tied into the JVC radio.

As to those that want to get away from "the world" while camping, I see your point, but since I'm on the road 8 months a year, that is a little too long to be removed from civilization.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
fm radio

jon try wkhr out of ohio you will love it

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #24

Name: Virginia
Trailer: Casita 17SD
Kentucky
I love to play my dulcimer. But for those who prefer the sound of nature, would you find this irritating? Don't want to offend...
Ginger40324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #25

Missouri
music

doesn't bother me go for it

bob
Old 03-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #26

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Usually we prefer the sounds of nature....but if we are up at our own (private) recreational property and feel like some music, we turn it on and since I am half-deaf, it's gotta be loud. However, we don't have neighbours.

When we are at campgrounds, the only time we have played music is quietly within our camper (cannot be heard from outside) or if we don't happen to have any neighbours close by--but in all of our 40 years of camping, this may total less times than fingers on one hand.

Now....if someone wants to play a guitar or other instrument as we sit around the campfire, that'd be excellent, on occasion. I enjoy that very much.
But few things are worse, in a campground, then music blasting. Same goes for at the beach, IMHO.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #27

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendadave View Post
I'm the guy that likes to listen to nature when camping, we seem to be a dying breed.

In the privacy of your own trailer, sure, go for it.
Amen brother
Sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hammer or Mountain Dulcimer?

We like the dulcet tones of the dulcimer.
I have a mountain dulcimer, and my wife has a small hammer dulcimer, but we hardly ever play them. not very good anyway.
Would be willing to sell them if you are interested.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #29

Missouri
music

I am not one for the heavily amplified music you can hear all over the campground usually that brings the camp host out but why not up to say 9pm with a gang playing!

bob
Old 03-03-2018, 06:35 PM   #30

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I bring my guitar and play instrumental pieces and not very loud. Those who attend the Spring Fling in New England Rally this year will get a treat as I will play at the fire ring one night.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:19 AM   #31

Name: Virginia
Trailer: Casita 17SD
Kentucky
Wayne, it's a mountain dulcimer. Thank you for your offer, but I am happy with what I have for now. If there are any dulcimer clubs in your area, you could reach out to them. Or put an ad on craigs list.
Ginger40324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #32

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Me and buddy bring our guitars, another has a harmonica. Jam sessions are great around campfire. Even during the day on our float trips, we'll pull up a chair on a gravel bar and pick. Amazing how many people will pull over in canoes to listen. Some can even play. Have met some cool people with our camping jam sessions. Of course, we are country boys, we get al the sights and sounds of nighttime on a regular basis. Play list includes Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Grateful Dead, Stones, Marshall Tucker, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Johnny Cash, CSNY, Amazing Rhythm Aces, The Band, about any classic rock. Our motto, "If you can sing it, we can play it!!" If I must say so myself, we can keep a group entertained after a couple cocktails.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #33

Missouri
harmonica playing

we have an old guy at church he hasn't been playing too long but man he can put more spirit into his playing that I haven't heard for a long time! I never tire of his playin.

bob
Old 03-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I bring my guitar on most trips as I am trying to get back to playing like I did many years ago. Always good fun when others join in with an instrument or vocals. We give the coyotes a good run for their money many an evening sitting around the campfire.

We also bring a small radio, our phones with many thousands of songs, and a subscription to Spotify with millions of songs. These get played through our small UE2 Boom bluetooth speaker, which has fantastic sound quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendadave View Post
I'm the guy that likes to listen to nature when camping, we seem to be a dying breed.
I love this too, and if fact most of the time during the day, whether hiking, biking, exploring, fishing, photography, etc, I don't play any music.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #35

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I bring a Taylor GS Mini acoustic guitar, it has a Sitka Spruce top and Sapele body. Really a well made little guy, built in the "3/4 size," but still has full size sound. Nice little travel guitar. I have three other full sized acoustic guitars, (two Takamine Customs and a Guild,) but I really like this little one for traveling since it doesn't take up a lot of space. Don't get me wrong, I'm no guitar wizard by any sense, and my repertoire is somewhat limited, but it occupies me in the evening when I feel in the mood. I'm not a good player by any sense, and I don't read music, I just play chords. I like it for evenings where I can just sit around and "hack" on it. Amazingly, I've found most people passing by actually want to sit and listen, or will even go back and grab their own and just join up around a campfire. I'm almost self conscious about playing, (or maybe I should say annoying,) other people because I'm not that good, and I don't play it very loud, but it offers up some modicum of entertainment when there's nothing else going on. Just my attempt at amusement. I've never had anybody ever complain about it, but some may be a bit disappointed in finding that I don't know a song they may want to hear.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I bring a Taylor GS Mini acoustic guitar, it has a Sitka Spruce top and Sapele body. Really a well made little guy, built in the "3/4 size," but still has full size sound. Nice little travel guitar. I have three other full sized acoustic guitars, (two Takamine Customs and a Guild,) but I really like this little one for traveling since it doesn't take up a lot of space. Don't get me wrong, I'm no guitar wizard by any sense, and my repertoire is somewhat limited, but it occupies me in the evening when I feel in the mood. I'm not a good player by any sense, and I don't read music, I just play chords. I like it for evenings where I can just sit around and "hack" on it. Amazingly, I've found most people passing by actually want to sit and listen, or will even go back and grab their own and just join up around a campfire. I'm almost self conscious about playing, (or maybe I should say annoying,) other people because I'm not that good, and I don't play it very loud, but it offers up some modicum of entertainment when there's nothing else going on. Just my attempt at amusement. I've never had anybody ever complain about it, but some may be a bit disappointed in finding that I don't know a song they may want to hear.
Sounds like my guitar style is not that different, and my findings are the same too in that most folks love to listen or join in. I self described guitar style is Campfire Thrasher.

I have considered a smaller guitar, but man I love the Fender Balboa I have had for 35 years now. I also have a Takamine 12 string and a Martin Backpacker (which I do take canoeing, but not the best sound).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #37

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I originally looked at a Martin Backpacker before I bought the Taylor, although it is well made, as all Martins, I too wasn't very impressed with the shallow sound quality of the Backpacker. But I guess that's the trade-off for having something with exceptionally small size. I guess there's a niche for everything based on needs and room to carry it. The Taylor is nice for its light weight and compact size. I bought another one in Koa wood for my wife, but she seldom plays it.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:13 PM   #38

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I did bring my NA flute one time last year and played quietly in our screenhouse. I was caught by one of the musicians, but I am not ready to play in front of folks. I am the mystery flute player .

The NA flute is not able to just accompany someone else, at least not at my ability level. It uses a pentatonic scale, and I lack the ability to jam with others given this.

Someday, when we have more time, I hope Kevin and I can do something together. He plays piano, and I bought a portable one for him to carry in the Silver Cloud.

CindyL
Old 03-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #39

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
my big exception to the stereo when camping is our twice a year outing to the Strawberry Music Festival.... the whole festival is broadcast on low power FM radio, and as noone in our camp is any good at playing our own music, I bring a stereo and often crank it up moderately loud when we're in camp.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Music teacher took away my flutephone and gave me a can of rocks to shake.
Choir director told me to mouth the words.
Heck, I can't even spell flutephone.