Do you cook in your egg or outside? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #41

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Arizona
Registry
Wow, I have so many great takeaways this thread! I am super excited to try different things and see what works for us!

We love to cook 'camping food' as my husband and I call it.

We just bought a 14' wide body Burro with a front dinette. I can hardly wait to take it out!
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #42

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina in AZ View Post
Wow, I have so many great takeaways this thread! I am super excited to try different things and see what works for us!

We just bought a 14' wide body Burro with a front dinette. I can hardly wait to take it out!
Camping food = A slab of bacon and a can of pork and beans.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:50 AM   #43

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There are as many different camping styles as there are brands of trailers. I purchased a FSC trailer because I got tired of packing crap in an out of the house and in and out of the tug. Throw some clothes in and some food and I'm off camping. Once I get there, grab the lawn chair and I'm set up. I see folks carrying double the amount of stuff. A stove inside the trailer and one for outside, lights inside the trailer and lanterns for outside. Wears me out to think about it. I gave up hauling all that stuff when I gave up the tent. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 AM   #44

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina in AZ View Post

Hi: Tina in AZ... Here's a pic. of what you can do with the remains of last nights campfire and 9 rashers of bacon.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
almost done.jpg   morning after.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #45

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Only 9 rashers Alf? What, none for the wife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There are as many different camping styles as there are brands of trailers.
Probably near as many camping styles as there are trailers, let alone brands. As long as people are out and enjoying themselves, there is no wrong practice.

Pretty much seating and cooking are the only redundant features for inside and out on our trailer, as I am one to who believes in taking minimal gear. But, we do need a few things to outfit our 'living room'.

Of all the people I regularly am with that have RV's of their own, most of the do the cooking outside too. In fact, some of them never eat inside. We all tend to wander to each others spots and chew the fat over morning coffees, or eat our meals together even if prepared separate.

There are a few friends though, that we don't even see until well after breakfast. We only know they are up because they need to start their gen sets to use the coffee maker and microwave.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #46

Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
The whole reason I love a teardrop trailer is that I get a nice, warm place to sleep, but I still feel like I'm camping because I cook and hangout outside. When I suggested getting a trailer to my brother-in-law, he said, "Why do you want to ruin camping?"

Now, that he has seen my teardrop, he has changed his tune and is saving for one of his own.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #47

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
I just got back from the Lake San Antonio Rally. We all had a great time!

The magnetic containers don't fall unless I forget to latch the doors. They hold a lot too saving storage space and you always know what you have for dinner.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #48

Registry
There certainly are times when I really enjoy cooking outside.

You can see more pictures from this trip here
Attached Thumbnails
PIC00020.JPG  
Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #49

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Beautiful pix, Byron! Are those "nesting pots/pans" in one of your pix? Hard to tell but was thinking about something like that for the trailer as trad'l pots/skillets take up so much room. If so, do you like them and where are they from? Probably have a removable handle right?

Thanks!

Melissa
Old 05-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #50

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Tina in AZ... Here's a pic. of what you can do with the remains of last nights campfire and 9 rashers of bacon.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Now that is TRULY Canadian Alf!!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #51

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I never cooked inside my Burro... I simply turned on the air conditioner.

But to be more serious, yes I cook inside, unless it's a food I want grilled (burgers, fish, etc.) Mostly I don't want to spend time waiting for coals to heat up so I just use the gas cooktop and/or the nuke-o-matic to heat up something quick. I'm not going to worry about heat buildup when I can turn on the vent fan and have a complete change of air inside the trailer in about 3 minutes. Yay for small trailers!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #52

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Beautiful pix, Byron! Are those "nesting pots/pans" in one of your pix? Hard to tell but was thinking about something like that for the trailer as trad'l pots/skillets take up so much room. If so, do you like them and where are they from? Probably have a removable handle right?

Thanks!

Melissa
That's an MSR two pot stack, stainless steel. For my backpacking I've changed to a single titanium pot and the MSR pot stack are now used in the trailer. No handles to get in the way, a single "pot lifter" in the silverware drawer serves as a handle for the tow pots and lid. The lid can also be used as small skillet. The pots also due duty as mixing bowls for things like pancake batter.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #53

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Cook???
On Vacation???
Gee - sounds like just SO much fun!
Almost like staying home (except that you have a lot more conveniences and comforts at home!)

Seriously, if either wife or I had to cook while we away "enjoying ourselves", we just wouldn't go!

We tend to choose campgrounds that are very nearby a town/city where we can go for lunch & dinner. Morning coffee is about as "cooking oriented" as we get.
My wife and I totally agree!
russelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #54

Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
Eating on vacation is always a huge hassle for me because I have so strict dietary requirements. One of the benefits of our trailer I that I can cook what I need without depending on special ordering at restaurants. It's one of the reasons I love traveling in the camper.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #55

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile How we cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hovind View Post
... A Side note my pickup came with cup holders in the tailgate does that make me a redneck?????
Jim, those are not CUP holders, they're BEER holders. NOW you are a redneck!

We use a small toaster oven for making the toast to go with our p-nut butter in the morning, and the stove to heat the water for tea.

We will heat soup, or chili, Spam on the stove. Spam can be eaten right out of the can. There are plenty of items in the stores that don't need refrigeration. We like the pudding or fruit in the little cups.

What are all those In-N-Out, Black Bear Cafe, and King Taco places for if not for taking advantage of?

Another tip, we buy a small vege tray for lunch. Makes a healthy meal.

Note to BCDave: We have spent about 6 weeks in Homelet the last three Jan/Feb's. Of course after 50 years, we have learned to accept each other.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #56

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There are as many different camping styles as there are brands of trailers. I purchased a FSC trailer because I got tired of packing crap in an out of the house and in and out of the tug. Throw some clothes in and some food and I'm off camping. Once I get there, grab the lawn chair and I'm set up. I see folks carrying double the amount of stuff. A stove inside the trailer and one for outside, lights inside the trailer and lanterns for outside. Wears me out to think about it. I gave up hauling all that stuff when I gave up the tent. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I am with you on this for sure....
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #57

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We cover the miles in a variety of styles!

I tried cooking in our 13' Ventura once - I found it difficult and frustrating, and the cleaning up with that little sink was more hassle than it was worth to me. It is great that we have different views, different ways of doing things, and that we share our thoughts and observations.

We cook and eat outside, if it is wet we do it under the canopy. Perishables are inside in the fridge. Pots, dishes and all other food related items are in the back of the Element. Some items are stored in Ziplock bags (a variety of herbal teas togther, for example). Dry items like oatmeal, rice, brown sugar, go in square plastic boxes with tight fitting lids. They stack nicely and we can see what is in them.

We use a two burner propane stove. Dish water warms up while we eat and is dumped into a decent sized plastic dishpan (been using the same one for about twenty years). We take along a small container of dish soap and replenish at home during the season. We haven't travelled for longer than two weeks at a time.

One thing I find really useful is The Packing List. Over time I have created (and update sometimes) a list of what we need to pack for a trip. One column has food, one has kitchen equipment (pots, wooden spoon etc), one has general equipment (axe, lifejackets etc). There is a column for clothing and one for the oddments like cameras, books and such like. When we are thinking of going camping I go to my computer, print out the list (it is pretty comprehensive), scratch out what we won't need this time, make a shopping list for food, and pack stuff up.

Works for us!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #58

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
An easy, compact way to store dry herbs and spices is in a clear plastic cylindrical container that has multiple round containers that screw into one another. The Container Store has these as do many hardware stores (they are sold for storing small items such as nails, screws, washers, etc.)

We have a couple trays with edges that we use to carry food and dishware to and from the trailer.

Washing dishes in the trailer is easy and takes only 10 minutes. The first rule of camping is "Lick your plate!" Short of that I scrape and wipe the dishware with a paper towel. I have a plastic bin (with a lid) that fits in the sink perfectly. Using this as a dishpan saves my sink from scratches and I don't have to clean it often. I place a folded dish towel or washcloth on the counter space between the sink and burners. I heat water on the far burner, away from the cloth. I wash the dishes in warm water and Camp Soap (biodegradable) in the dishpan and place damp dishes on cloth. I dump out the water and rinse. I then rinse the dishes with very hot water in the dishpan. I hand dry with a dry dishtowel and put all away in the upper cabinet.

I cut the dark green scrubbies (about 4" x 6") into 1" squares and use these to scrub pots and pans. I throw out the used scrubbie.

While in transit we keep all the dishwashing supplies in the dishpan inside the sink and have everything available at the next stop.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #59

Name: Tracy
Trailer: purchasing a Boler
Alberta
Gilda:
May I ask you where you found a plastic bin with a lid that fits in the sink? I have been looking for something similar. I love your set up and will likely do something somewhat the same in my 13' Boler.
Tracy
CheekyTracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #60

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Tracy,
My plastic container that fits in the Scamp sink is an old one from our many years of camping. While Rubbermaid is my favorite brand for plastic containers, they no longer make this size. I did notice, however, that the little "dishpan" that they give to you when you are a patient at the hospital is just the right size! It is too tall to accommodate a cutting board and does not have a lid. If you know of someone in the hospital you could ask to keep their "dishpan" and use it until you find the correct size.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote