Do you Jitterbug? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
My mom and pop did. I have pictures. They are my parents so I cant be as old as they are and besides I did sock-hops and sloooow dancing in the gym.
So I have no association with jitterbugging other than what I see in movies and photo albums but I still bought one anyway. It was hard to do... they focus their cell phone marketing on old people who's eyes and ears are failing and have no need for bells and whistles but that is for OLD people, not for me!
Nevertheless, for traveling I can't think of anything better. A key pad with numbers as big as a dime. A volume that would hurt if you get it close to even aging ears.
When you unfold it you get, guess what?, a dial tone!
When you dial a number the digits fill the entire screen.
And is actually weighs something. Something solid and big in your hands.

You can get north american (no roaming) service for $10 per month. A bit pricey if you actually use the phone though at $0.35 per minute. But they have other plans.
The phone itself cost almost $200 so that is another drawback.

But over all if you just want a cell phone for when you are out towing your egg I think you can dance with this one.

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
Darn! I thought that this was going to be about dancing.
I do tent to shake a bit though.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I git the JITTERS every time the phone rings!!! It really BUGS me so I always say " How much do they want this time"???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You can do Trackfone for around $5 a month.

You purchase time and pay the 5 a month and you do not need to add time until your time runs out.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Tracfone is the only cell phone I've ever had. Last year when it was time to renew service they had a special: New camera phone, one year service, 400 minutes, [b]no roaming fee, double minutes for life (so 400 = 800)...all for $99. I got to keep by old phone number and carry over minutes. Six months later, I still have over 800 minutes. That's how much I need to use a cell phone. I have yet to find a better way to go for limited use cell phone service (<$9/month).
Old 05-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Marv,

When you get to the point you need to add minutes or at the end of the year you signed up for, that is the time to go to the $5 a month plan. It does not give you additional minutes but it does give you continued service on the minutes you have. I acciquired a pot full of minutes because we seldom use the phone sp B4 I went to their new plan so we should be able to continue for a couple of more years B4 I will need to add minutes. The minutes and your phone number do not expire on the monthly plan and will save you around $40 a year.

We do not go to the grocery store, stand in front of the milk and call home and ask "should I get a quart or a gallon" we simply make a decision based on what we have been doing for the past 45 years; however I have witnessed this at Food Lion.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita
Quote:

You purchase time and pay the 5 a month and you do not need to add time until your time runs out.
Jitterbug does not require you to purchase time in any way. If you never uses it you are never charged. You just "rent" the opportunity to use it for $10 per month.
If you do decide to use it then it is a pricey 35 cents per minute. So for me that is just $120 per year. No minutes to roll over or run out or worry about. I seriously never use the cell unless it would be an emergency (911 is free).
Also, my jitterbug number is an 866 toll free number which makes it easier on someone who needs to contact me if I am 3000 miles from home..
But, the reason I like it is the phone. Nothing like it that I have ever seen. It feels like a real phone (showing my age).
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Marv,

When you get to the point you need to add minutes or at the end of the year you signed up for, that is the time to go to the $5 a month plan.
Thanks for the tip. It looks to me like you must have the "TracFone Service Protection Plan". I will consider it when my year is about up. Also, it strikes me as pretty funny that us obviously older guys are back and forthing about $120 - $99 - $60 per year deals, when most folks are spending that - or more - per month!