Do you leave anything in the egg when it is not in use? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Now that I actually have my scamp I have even more questions! I am planning on going to Hillapalooza next month and getting some direct info. In the meantime--Can I go ahead and store and leave stuff in the under bench storage well? This would be like a coleman stove,folding table,chair,lantern etc. Can I leave the fabric hanging shelf in the closet? Should I put baking soda in the frig and leave it open? Thanks to one and all for your great help..
.BTW, I keep hearing Madonna singing "like a Virgin -the very first time"
Elizabeth
Elizabeth TXorMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2001 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Now that I actually have my scamp I have even more questions! I am planning on going to Hillapalooza next month and getting some direct info. In the meantime--Can I go ahead and store and leave stuff in the under bench storage well? This would be like a coleman stove,folding table,chair,lantern etc. Can I leave the fabric hanging shelf in the closet? Should I put baking soda in the frig and leave it open? Thanks to one and all for your great help..
.BTW, I keep hearing Madonna singing "like a Virgin -the very first time"
Elizabeth
Elizabeth,
We leave almost everything in our Casita with the exception of anything that would be negatively affected by extreme temperatures (too cold or too hot). We leave the refrigerator door open after cleaning it out and haven't had any odor or mildew problems. I just take in anything that would freeze, including the LCD TV which could probably survive, but I can't believe it would be good for it. Pots and pans, towels, paper plates - all that kind of stuff just stays in there and then we inventory from time to time to restock.
Fred
Fred Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
We take almost everything out -mice have been a problem.
Left paper towels in the camper one time-mice used the paper towels for nesting in the camper.
Tried the fabric softner sheets to repel mice-they made nests out of them
We leave lanterns, jacks and etc. in the camper. Things that mice can`t chew up.
We never did find where they had gotten in.
We put as much as we can in plastic totes with snap on lids-we have had no problems since.
We now park our Compact Jr. in the garage so we don`t worry as much.
Our Casita wouldn`t fit in the garage.
Since the grandkids like to play in the camper and eat lunch there-I make sure all food is cleaned up so it doesn`t attract critters.
Good luck.
Happy camping.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
The only things I take out of my 13 Scamp when returning home are clothes and food from the refrigerator.

I use LocnLoc containers for flour, bisquick, pasta, coffee, tea etc. and they all stay in the trailer. Other food stuffs stay too such as oil, vinegar, can goods, spices etc.

I drain the fresh water holding tank if it will be awhile before the next trip.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You really need to find out how they are getting in and then stuff steel wool in the hole. Put some Decon in the trailer and hopefully they will eat it and when they go outside for water they will die out there.

Look for holes such as where the Power cord enters the camper and look for gaps in the wheel wells.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
+1 on the "wool." We used steel wool on our family cabin to stuff gaps. I would lie in bed and think "Ha!" as I imagined the mice and squirrels trying to chew in through it (they didn't make it). Talk about a mouthful.

Bronze wool is also available if you want to avoid rusting.

Mice and their droppings/urine can cause some serious health problems, so I would make it a priority to keep them out.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
In the meantime--Can I go ahead and store and leave stuff in the under bench storage well? This would be like a coleman stove,folding table,chair,lantern etc. Can I leave the fabric hanging shelf in the closet? Should I put baking soda in the frig and leave it open? Thanks
Elizabeth
What Joy and Raya said about pests and rodents! Plus - Where you store your rig needs to be taken into account. Stuff like camping gear dishes, pans and appliances (which we leave in the trailer) may me ripped off in an unsecure storage environment.

Sponge out the fridge after taking out the food, put in some baking soda and you are golden. The door can be closed or left open. You might consider some sort of dehumidifier, crystals or plug in - check boating stores - to keep the mildew in check in your cushions and any other fabric.

Have fun,

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I take in our LCD TV and DVD player to avoid extreme cold in Chicago. Also, I take in the cushions to avoid any moisture problems or rodent chewing. We haven't had any mice that I've ever found yet! I also wipe out the fridge and leave it open, drain the small hot water heater and water lines, and empty the Porta-Potti except for the blue stuff straight out of the bottle. Finally, food in cans and boxes is taken in to avoid rodents and/or freezing/exploding. Good luck doing this now for 4 years.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Like Joy, we leave most of our stuff in the trailer. I think the longest it ever goes without being used is 3 weeks so we take in food and leave heat in the trailer. Since you have a new to you trailer it helps pass the time to get to go camping by loading things. I would suggest stacking the blankets and towels rather than make up the bed as it tends to pick up moisture tucked between the wall and the mattress. But also loading paper plates, pans, and other items help you figure out where things are going and how much to bring. Have fun and realize that we all do it differently but we all have fun and enjoy our trailers.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 AM   #10

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
We had mice join us when we camped in the Kaibab NF in a stick built. After checking it over thoroughly I concluded they came in where a wiring harness came up through the floor. I bought some styrofoam in an aerosol can and sealed everything in sight. Bought foam at Home Depot.

Our trailer "rests" in a secure compound. We only take clothes and food out when we come home. Freezing is not a problem here. Our galley is furnished with things we have bought in garage sales, they stay in the trailer full time.

Peel and stick items are generally useless in the summer and were when we lived in Florida.

Hand-me-down tube TV also lives in the trailer full time.

We always leave fridge and bathroom doors open.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
For winter storage we remove any liquid products and all food and canned goods that might freeze and possibly explode in the minus temperatures that we get around here. Bedding too, in winter is often stored indoors to keep it fresh. Hardware and other aessories are usully left in their places in the trailer. I think that common sense and knowing the conditions where you live will dictate what you want to store separetly from the trailer.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
For winter storage we remove any liquid products and all food and canned goods that might freeze and possibly explode in the minus temperatures that we get around here. Bedding too, in winter is often stored indoors to keep it fresh. Hardware and other aessories are usully left in their places in the trailer. I think that common sense and knowing the conditions where you live will dictate what you want to store separetly from the trailer.
YUP- that's about what I remove.... (of course, I bring the wife in, too) Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper