Do You Use The Shower? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Do You Use The Shower?

I have seen more than a few in posts here and elsewhere say that they do not use the shower in their molded fiberglass trailers so just wanted to ask to see if the majority don't. Reasons I have heard for not using is that it is too tight of space, too hard to clean, prefer campground facilities, saves propane by not using, etc.

The shower is our most important need in changing trailers followed by security and longevity.

Thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I like nice long showers, so i use the facilities. However, i know it is there if i want to use it, such has no facilities, or dirty. I would not want to be without my own bath. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:57 AM   #3

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
The bathroom (including the shower) was one of the selling points when we bought our first Oliver. The bathroom in our second Oliver is even nicer.

I could not imagine buying an RV with a shower and then not using it. Same with the toilet. I'd sooner go in the woods than use a public facility.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
We use the shower when we need to, for the most part we use the CG facilities for all the reasons you stated. The main reason we need a bathroom in a trailer is for the toilet.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Our shower has been used about 6 times in 6 years. We mostly boondock, so water consumption, and grey water storage is always a consideration. In this instant we mostly sponge bath. When at a campground, I prefer to use the shower facilities there. It is nice to have a shower on those rare occasions it gets used, and who knows what the future brings.

In a 15' or smaller trailer, I would not do a bathroom, as the space is put to better use for other things.

We have an exterior shower that has never been used for showering. It is too much of a bother on the backside of the trailer.

Same with toilet use. We have to watch water consumption, and black tank volume. My wife does use it during the night, whereas I prefer a tree if not in a campground. If in a campground, I enjoy doing the trek to use the public facilities, as I get to take a walk and see things, and have met many a wonderful fellow camper while taking this stroll.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I like using the outside shower for the dogs. They don't care where a bath/shower takes place as they dislike any type of facility that serves that purpose. Both the chow/shepherd who knows the word "bath" and the lab who I thought would love water out of instinct, all 85 lbs resist even an outside mist!

Thanks for all the input!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Yes, I use it, as recently as last week at a rally. I've decided that buying a trailer with a bath and cooking facilities and not using them is like buying a car and pulling it with a horse. What's the point.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Horse Pulling Car.bmp (147.8 KB, 75 views)
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We each use the shower in our Scamp13D virtually every day that we use the travel trailer. We have owned it now eleven years and hundreds of nights and it still appears as new. It is easy to clean and convenient to use. I wipe it down with a small towel and the room is dry in minutes. When necessary, we can stretch the gray tank to nearly a week with conservation measures.
It might be a bit nicer for her (she is 5'2") but I find it very nice and would not want the trailer without it any more than without the bed.
I certainly find it more essential than the kitchen sink and stove.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #9

Registry
Preferring to have a shower, toilet, or galley is not at all the same as preferring to use an alternate that works better for you. To make use of something just because you have it, is a personal choice.

Take cooking for instance, I MUCH prefer to be outside cooking. I go camping to enjoy the great outdoors, and enjoy cooking and do dishes outside. When camping with others, it is much more social to do this too. HOWEVER, for those times when the weather is really miserable, cooking inside is a great option to have. BUT, why stare at the inside of the trailer walls, when a whole world of beauty awaits you outside?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #10

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
When we bought our 17' Burro last year a shower/bathroom was on our list of "must haves". That said, we've been surprised at how little we have used it. Similar to Jim, when we stay at campgrounds we usually use their showers. It means we don't have to worry about gray water and I can take a long hot shower. We have used the shower when boondocking and love the convenience when we have done so. I am the only one who uses the toilet, and only during the night, but even there the usage is far lower than expected so we have created our own "cassette system" so we avoid having to empty and clean the black water tank. Far easier for us in the long run. I've found perfect size plastic bins that nestle in without shifting while traveling, so we have a TON of storage space. When using the shower/toilet the bins are easy to pull out and stack elsewhere.
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:39 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
We are with Floyd & Steve on this one. We use our shower & portapotty over that of the campgrounds every time. Having the shower & toilet is the reason we changed from our Scamp 13' to the Lil Snoozy.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #12

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
We occasionally use our shower. The most common situation for doing so is when we camp during hot times of the year,someplace without showers, and have been out hiking etc. during the day. Hot and sticky with sunscreen, dust and sweat, a quick shower before getting into bed is a real treat. Many National Park campgrounds do not have showers and after a few days we really appreciate having ours. Usually we can get by with sponge baths. Also, if we camp for more than just a few days somewhere without any facilities, we get pretty creative with our water use. For example, I use one small dishpan to wash the dishes and one to rinse them. The wash water gets recycled to flush the toilet and the rinse water gets used for face, hair and body washing (hope that doesn't gross anyone out, but the rinse water is usually quite acceptable for those uses). I think we could live without our shower, but I do like having it!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
shower

We have a Lil Snoozy and we use our shower and toilet instead of park facilities it's 18 ft trailer 14 and 1/2 ft inside so plenty of room for a cassette toilet and shower with a 4 gallon hot water heater .it's good for 2 showers (quick ones ) .I would not have bought a trailer without a shower or toilet .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #14

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I shower right before we leave on a trip and again as soon as we get back.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:25 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
I've memorized your vehicle and trailer so I can be sure to choose an upwind camping site, should we cross paths (especially if you make it as far as Arizona!)…
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:38 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Wish I had a shower,, we are in Kootenays of BC Canada and all the really nice spots,,, provincial pks
their idea of facilities is an out house! they are the worst, but in the most beautiful places!
We end up in a private campground that has a shower but usually none of that "beauty".
We will probably end up selling our Boler and getting a sticky just to get our own shower.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
If it is a trip 4-5 days or less, I do the same thing. I wash up at least once a day though. The only exception is if I worked and sweated a lot, or in really hot climates, and even then I prefer to go for a swim, even if it is cold water.

People shower WAY too much. Mind you, having no hair on my head helps.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
We will probably end up selling our Boler and getting a sticky just to get our own shower.
Fred
I don't follow this, Fred. Plenty of great moulded FG trailers with baths. Why a stick built?
Old 05-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #19

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
It's very personal opinion. I prefer to stay away of CG showers and use my Scamp shower/bath/everything else room.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
I was wondering when someone would make that joke.

I was going to say, Twice a year, whether I need it or not.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote