Do you use your awning? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #41

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I also have a new Scamp on order - without an awning. I currently have a 13 ft with no awning, so I have never actually used one. Perhaps I shouldn't respond, since you specifically asked for opinions of those who have an awning. Apologies in advance if this comment is not welcome.

My thought is that I am very happy with my Clam screen room set up next to the Scamp. Provides some shade, some rain protection, some wind protection, bug protection, plus you can set it up to take advantage of the best view. It withstands quite severe winds if properly guyed out (easy to do). The only downside that I can imagine, when compared to the awning, is the lack of door protection during rain. That would be nice, but I didn't feel it was $900 worth of nice.

Add to the above, an awning provides more holes in the Scamp shell, added wind resistance during travel, and it looks like an "add-on".

Finally, if I ever decide I "need" an awning, it is a fairly simple, after the fact, add-on.

I have the exact same thought. We have a 13' with a clam shelter and love it! I call it my living room!
SusanandPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #42

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Find the awning very useful

We bought our 2011 19' used, and it came with an A & E Catalina 2500 awning. Previously we had a Casita with a Fiamma awning. We've camped in 105 degree sun in Idaho (the awning was a great relief) and in Michigan's rainy Upper Peninsula (cooking shelter was handy). Because the awning mount isn't flush with the outer shell of the camper, rainwater runs down the side of the camper and you might be subject to raindrops' splashing between the awning an Scamp body; but overall we appreciate the awning

We use two velcro strap to be sure the awning can't accidentally open during travel. (We saw a larger trailer's awning blow off crossing the Mackinac Bridge in high winds.) We have a dog who spends some time outside on a tether and we installed awning leg mounts on the Scamp so he doesn't tangle himself around legs resting on the ground.

We pull the awning in close to the trailer or retract it into its case when there's possibly damaging winds (better than clambering out of the trailer at 3am in a thunderstorm to deal with an awning). We saw an awning & its case and support arms destroyed by high winds in Glacier.) The Fiamma awning we had previously was pretty fussy about being very free of debris on top before being rolled up. The Catalina's less fussy
jpalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #43

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Oh gosh and Awning is so nice. You can sit under it during the afternoon shower. Or it can keep your table and your Rotisserie Oven dry. It also keeps our bicycles dry or if we bring our scooters it keeps our scooters dry
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #44

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
My above post having been said, many camping outings we do not deploy the awning 4 fear of having to dry it out before we leave the next morning or in many cases having to sweep off all the leaves before we retract it. In one sense it is actually just one more thing to do when you go camping. And I have found that the more hassles it is to go camping the less likely you're going to go camping. That extends to having everything you need in the camper as far as bedding toiletries Staples Etc so that you don't have to haul a bunch of crap in and out every time
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:45 PM   #45

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 5th wheel
Maryland
Get the awning

Hi Don, we have a 2013 Scamp 5th wheel Deluxe and have spent over 200 nights in it so far. We can’t imagine not having the awning! We also have a Clam but have found that there’s not room at many sites for the Clam. As far as adding the awning at a later date, I say factory installed is the smart way to go. Awning takes less than 1 minute to put out or take in. I’ve done many mods on our Scamp including wrap around couch, 15” wheels, self adjusting brakes, power landing gear, tank gauges, etc. Adding an awning is not a mod I would want to do. I vote order it with it & enjoy it!
rrobillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #46

Name: Renee
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
We have a 13' Scamp and every trip we've gone on, we used the awning every day. We have 2 dogs, and we sit under the awning and have them on leashes. They can choose to sit in the sun or come under the shade. When looking for our Scamp, we made a list of "must haves," and an awning was one of them.
Renee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #47

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Our Trillium came with a Carefree awning and we love it! Wouldn't be able to keep our door open (we have a screen door) in the rain without it.

Sometimes we only open it halfway, to protect/cover the doorway.

But wouldn't be without it! I also made a giant "fly" out of tent nylon that we often place over the awning, to extend the shade by at least double.

We have good friends who have a auto-retractable awning and they cannot tip theirs in the rain BECAUSE IT SELF-CLOSES! We enjoy sitting outside underneath it in the rain which is something they cannot do.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #48

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
We have good friends who have a auto-retractable awning and they cannot tip theirs in the rain BECAUSE IT SELF-CLOSES! We enjoy sitting outside underneath it in the rain which is something they cannot do.
More complex and "smarter" does not mean better! (Shaking my head...) Tell them to find the rain sensor and put a little umbrella over it. Enjoy the rain!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #49

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
When I ordered my Escape, the electric awning was standard. I went for the manual one instead. Now they've discontinued the electric one. Not even an option I think.

Walt
Old 10-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
When I ordered my Escape, the electric awning was standard. I went for the manual one instead. Now they've discontinued the electric one. Not even an option I think.

Walt

From Escape web site:
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 11.27.19 AM.png  
Old 10-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #51

SW Virginia
Sorry, you are right. Now an expensive option.

Walt
Old 10-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Sorry, you are right. Now an expensive option.

Walt

Or to look at it another way, you're saving $700 CAD by not paying for something you don't want.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #53

SW Virginia
That would be true now, but at the time I got nothing off for choosing the manual option.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:31 AM   #54

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We have one that came with our Silver Cloud. We almost always use the awning, and since the company still exists, we bought their screen room addition and use it when we stay in a place long enough. It gives us more living space and keeps most of the bugs away.
Hubby does watch the wind and takes the awning down if he feels it is in danger. I can't remember needing to take the screenhouse and awning down yet.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Bigfoot camper with screenhouse.jpg  
Old 10-12-2018, 05:13 AM   #55

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft.
Virginia
Scamp 13ft.

Wouldn't camp without it. Ordered My Scamp like I wanted it.......one shot deal so just do it. If it doesn't work for You just don't use it. I've got over 20,000 on my Scamp last year no trouble at all with the awning!!! Enjoy.
holderfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:37 AM   #56

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Don, dcs02d: Original Poster!

We have used our 8 x 8 pop-ups many times, our 10x10 less frequently. Weight makes a difference. Still considering the Clam...by the time I decide it'll probably triple in price.

Meanwhile, how do you want to camp?

Are you getting some good ideas from these responses, cause I sure am!

Good luck on your decision...I'm very interested in what you decide and I bet the rest of us are, too.

Kathleen
"K"
Old 10-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #57

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Hi, Don, dcs02d: Original Poster!

We have used our 8 x 8 pop-ups many times, our 10x10 less frequently. Weight makes a difference. Still considering the Clam...by the time I decide it'll probably triple in price.

Meanwhile, how do you want to camp?

Are you getting some good ideas from these responses, cause I sure am!

Good luck on your decision...I'm very interested in what you decide and I bet the rest of us are, too.

Kathleen
"K"
I got our Clam here, they do run them on sale at times for $199.00 free shipping. Excellent service, they have several stores in the Minnesota area.
Clam Quick-Set Escape 1660 Six Pack Screen Tent, Green | L & M Fleet Supply

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #58

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I got our Clam here, they do run them on sale at times for $199.00 free shipping. Excellent service, they have several stores in the Minnesota area.
Clam Quick-Set Escape 1660 Six Pack Screen Tent, Green | L & M Fleet Supply

trainman
Love the Clam shelter, it is well made functions well.
Those who have large trailers and tow with large TVs with lots of room can carry stuff like screen rooms, grilles, zero gravity chairs, tables,and lots of others stuff.
The awning on my Scamp13 is just part of the trailer, and has the advantage of not taking up space in the TV which can be used for other "essentials" like an ice maker!
The awning is easier to deploy and stow on a whim and is always accessible when wanted.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:11 AM   #59

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
We use our camper at home quite a bit. As a guest house and as a parental retreat when we want to drink wine and avoid our 3 teenagers.

I think we are getting the awning but really more for us to use at home.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:17 AM   #60

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Love the Clam shelter, it is well made functions well.
Those who have large trailers and tow with large TVs with lots of room can carry stuff like screen rooms, grilles, zero gravity chairs, tables,and lots of others stuff.
The awning on my Scamp13 is just part of the trailer, and has the advantage of not taking up space in the TV which can be used for other "essentials" like an ice maker!
The awning is easier to deploy and stow on a whim and is always accessible when wanted.
It was about, almost a $1000 and the awning does not keep one bug out. + it keeps the chill and the wind/rain away when it is cool when panels are up + the dog can be free inside so long as you are with them, which helps me be a little free of him. I skip the Zero Gravity Chairs, 50# the clam lays on the trailer floor, along the side dinette, weighs about 34#Only thing in there is a couple camp chairs, O Grill, Matt, maybe cooler.+ all that under $300 + wife does not like bugs, she is happy++++++ Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning