Do you use your awning? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #61

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
It was about, almost a $1000 and the awning does not keep one bug out. + it keeps the chill and the wind/rain away when it is cool when panels are up + the dog can be free inside so long as you are with them, which helps me be a little free of him. I skip the Zero Gravity Chairs, 50# the clam lays on the trailer floor, along the side dinette, weighs about 34#Only thing in there is a couple camp chairs, O Grill, Matt, maybe cooler.+ all that under $300 + wife does not like bugs, she is happy++++++ Carl
We don't like using our scamp for cargo on the floor or furniture because we like full access to the trailer when we overnight in transit or stop for lunch at a roadside park.
We don't travel with pets.
We have a small screenroom for use when visiting WI state parks.

We have each made the same good point...
Each person takes along what is considered important and will make the sacrifices necessary to accomplish it. In many cases the result is contracting a case of threefootitis.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #62

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA/ 2016 Ram V6 Eco Diesel
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Awning? Don't leave home without it!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #63

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I have an awning I would not want to be without. I'm not a LARGE RV as Floyd says but I have a "CLAM" and would not be without it either with my 13' Scamp. We just wish they'd been available years ago! It has become another "room" for us. We have the privacy panels and put down a cheap Harbor Freight tarp for the "floor". That's where we put our camp table with the toaster oven, coffee maker, etc. and it has been a SUPER addition to our Scamp/camping. I think a company called "Cabellos" now sells one (their competitor) making them more reasonably priced.

As far as the awning, I have the Dometic (window shade style of roll-up ) but do NOT mind leaving it out in the rain. Tip down one corner and make sure you do not leave it LEVEL so it can "pool" water. THAT is where the damage is done to any of them. I'll leave it up for 20mph wind but IF the weather is questionable AT ALL, we do NOT leave it up "unattended" and you're playing russian roulette with yours if you do.

So to summarize, an awning = nice. A CLAM = nice. An awning + a CLAM = SUPER NICE!!

ONE SUGGESTION: I would spring for a bit more money and get the "CLAM" (or equal) that's built so the panels will shed rain. Mine is privacy, sheds wind and makes it more comfy on cool breezy nights and the panels also allows you to block bright sun if needed. But if it rains hard, rain will come in through the screens obviously. The rain "shedder" version has little flaps that cover over the top of the panels thus causing the rain to run down and over the panels.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning