Do you use your awning? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Do you use your awning?

I have a scamp 19 on order without the awning. My 13 did not have one.

I'm nervous about it getting damaged or causing damage to the camper.

If you have one do you frequently use it?

I don't think they have an option yet for a fully automatic one I can push button retract when I go to bed.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:34 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I use mine all the time, but NEVER, EVER leave it out unattended.

I had a flimsier bag awning on an earlier trailer, where it didn't take much wind to destroy it. So I would be more cautious with a bag awning.

On a smaller trailer, like 90% of the molded FG ones, outdoor space is more important as part of the overall living space. Having a built in sun/rain shade, that can be set up in seconds, is very nice.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:45 AM   #3

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I also have a new Scamp on order - without an awning. I currently have a 13 ft with no awning, so I have never actually used one. Perhaps I shouldn't respond, since you specifically asked for opinions of those who have an awning. Apologies in advance if this comment is not welcome.

My thought is that I am very happy with my Clam screen room set up next to the Scamp. Provides some shade, some rain protection, some wind protection, bug protection, plus you can set it up to take advantage of the best view. It withstands quite severe winds if properly guyed out (easy to do). The only downside that I can imagine, when compared to the awning, is the lack of door protection during rain. That would be nice, but I didn't feel it was $900 worth of nice.

Add to the above, an awning provides more holes in the Scamp shell, added wind resistance during travel, and it looks like an "add-on".

Finally, if I ever decide I "need" an awning, it is a fairly simple, after the fact, add-on.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I have a bag awning that stays in the garage. I bring either a 10x10 ez-up or a 10x20 ez-up with us. We place the picnic table inside the ez-up and a bug screen. This set up has worked for us through several rain storms and buggy days.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I use mine on every trip. So nice to sit outside and be out of the direct sun, or be out there when it's raining.

Just be careful with wind. Roll it in when you leave.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
My Scamp 19 had the awning originally, the second owner lost it to the wind. I am very happy without it. If we travel to the buggy parts of the country, we take a screen tent and sometimes pitch it over the campsite picnic table.

One of the first projects after I bought the Scamp was removing the damaged brackets from the shell and sealing the holes well. I approve your choice.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
10x10 First-Up (freestanding) awning for us, too. We like to separate our camp kitchen from the trailer/bedroom. Picnic table, shade, privacy and/or views are often better away from the parking pad. Since we have a 13'er with OEM suspension, it can be set up next to the trailer in the rain (rare, as we're mostly fair weather campers).

Works for us because we camp 3-5 days in one place. I wouldn't want to set it up and take it down daily. Which leads to...

The right answer for you depends on your travel style and environmental conditions typically encountered (sun, wind, heat/cold, rain, bugs...). There's no perfect, one-size-fits-all answer. We wouldn't have these oft-repeated conversations if there were...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #8

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
I have one.

I use it frequently.

I wouldn't have a trailer without one.

I would note that this decision seems to be somewhat dependent on where and how you camp.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Fiama makes a power awning.
The hand crank version work well.
The company does not recommend using it in rain or wind.
But if you stake it down and add guy ropes you can stand some winds and rains.
they are bit pricy, but are a whole lot easier to open and close than the old Dometic/Catalinas … if that's what Scamp used to put on.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:52 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I use mine every trip, its part of setting up. I usually leave it up for my entire stay and leave it unattended. I use the picnic table as a tiedown using large bungee cords, and have never had a problem.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #11

Name: tom
Trailer: casita
Connecticut
Get an awning and use it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
I have one.

I use it frequently.

I wouldn't have a trailer without one.

I would note that this decision seems to be somewhat dependent on where and how you camp.
We use ours all the time and leave it up when away, weather permitting. We put the picnic table under it to cook and eat outside whenever possible. This in effect doubles the size of your small trailer.
hts1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #12

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
The company does not recommend using it in rain or wind.
But if you stake it down and add guy ropes you can stand some winds and rains.
This is a common misconception Wayne. At least on the hand cranked version, fiamma explicitly lists how to use their awning in the rain. A sticker on the awning itself states that in the event of rain use the center rafter and tilt one end to allow the water to drain off.

I've used mine many times in very heavy rain and high winds. Sounds like you have as well. If you use precautions, it certainly can be done.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #13

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
We use our Fiamma awning all the time. I secure with a cord if windy or retract if rainy. No reason not to buy and use an awning, Just use common sense and adequate precautions during inclimate weather.

Mark
Old 10-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #14

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
We spend very little time inside our 19' Scamp so the awning is used extensively. Last week we camped at Smokemont in GSMNP for five days and it rained on three of those. Even though we had the screen room set up, most of our 'in camp' time was sitting under the awning especially when cooking and in the evenings when we enjoyed our Campfire-in-a-Can while the weather prevented others from having a traditional fire. The original Catalina was replaced with a Fiamma last Fall which is much easier to deploy and retract.

We always stake the awning legs and will add guy lines in moderate winds (< 25 mph) but keep it in with anything stronger. With one leg a few inches lower than the other, I have not had a problem with water pooling even in very heavy rain.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Yes , we have an awning
Yes , we use it
Yes , we purchased an awning on all three of our fiberglass trailers
Haven’t lost one yet !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #16

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs02d View Post
I have a scamp 19 on order without the awning. My 13 did not have one.

I'm nervous about it getting damaged or causing damage to the camper.

If you have one do you frequently use it?

I don't think they have an option yet for a fully automatic one I can push button retract when I go to bed.
We do not use our awning hardly ever. They are flimsy and the wind can damage it easily. So if we pull it out it only stays out while we sit under it and that is maybe once a year or less. We would never go to bed or leave the trailer without putting it in. We also have a motorhome and the awning is much heavier built but still we never leave or go to bed with it out. We seldom use it either. We have had one damaged by wind when we went on a short hike and the wind came up all of a sudden. The fully automatic ones can be damage by a sudden wind gust also. It is a false sense of security. Wind does come up all of a sudden more often than not.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #17

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
[QUOTE=Jann Todd;719370]We do not use our awning hardly ever. They are flimsy and the wind can damage it easily. So if we pull it out it only stays out while we sit under it and that is maybe once a year or less. We would never go to bed or leave the trailer without putting it in. We also have a motorhome and the awning is much heavier built but still we never leave or go to bed with it out. We seldom use it either. We have had one damaged by wind when we went on a short hike and the wind came up all of a sudden. The fully automatic ones can be damage by a sudden wind gust also. It is a false sense of security. Wind does come up all of a sudden more often than not.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp 16
Wisconsin
We are new to 'camper' camping, having just moved up from tenting with the purchase late last fall of a used 16' Scamp. We've only used it 3 times so far, however we did want an awning for shade & some rain protection. We went the Keder Rail and corner pole system, and sewed it ourselves. Had the opportunity to try it out on our last trip and are very pleased. Left it up over a rainy day and night (with one corner dropped) with no issues. It was nice to not have to step out into the rain in the morning. Also keeps the area outside the door drier. We'll have to see how it works going forward, but so far so good!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3523.jpg  
Brian5305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #19

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I was for a long time too scared and/or lazy to put out the awning on my Scamp. ThenI bought some good stakes, rope, and tensioners and started using it. It works great. I have not had it out in a severe wind event yet but have in some REALLY significant rain and with one corner dipped it worked splendidly. To be honest though, I don't put it out for a weekend trip, only if we have a few days to make it worthwhile. I do have a cheap ez-up 10'X10' I throw up most trips
'
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Mine is one that slides into channel which is mounted to the shell with 3M VHB (very high bond) double stick tape. That arrangement spreads the load out over the whole length of the channel. The awning is not overly large, roughly the size of the one pictured above (7x8 tarp) Did take it down during high winds in Cody Wyoming, otherwise I'm pretty sure the inexpensive poly tarp will rip out the pole grommets before the track will let go. Might have a flapping tarp but would not expect major damage, and no additional holes.

If the wind will flatten your trailer awning there is a good chance it will do a number on a screen tent or sun shelter. Might be cheaper and easier to replace those than an attached awning.

Some screen tents and sun shades such as the clam are designed to give and flex before a strong wind, I think kelty makes a shade with fiberglass wand support that would also flex before the wind. Just as a dome tent will. Without breaking or ripping because as the poles bend the wind spills off the tarp.

Small camper, want the outside "living" space. Also need shade for dogs, and naps. After all why haul a reclining lawn chair if not going to nap? Stopping overnight on the way somewhere I don't use it. Parked for a couple of days I do.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning